Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are any of the roadies here also smokers?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are any of the roadies here also smokers?

Old 06-04-08, 12:13 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I have been an ex smoker for 22 years.
Old 06-04-08, 12:23 PM
Cdy291

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My father smokes while riding his ultra fred machine.
Old 06-04-08, 12:23 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by orcanova
I am curious to those who ride a lot and smoke, if you have had any physical fallout or distress like I had with the bronchitis.
Docs always got pissed at me because I would blow those pulmonary capacity tests better than the average non-smoker. Riding and smoking never really bothered me as a fast rec rider/commuter, but I knew that it wouldn't cut it if I raced...which is why I started racing, as motivation to quit. The day I decided to actually enter a race was also the day I quit, cold turkey. Spent like 60 bucks on Commit, but never used them. Cheri is still smoking, but has cut down to only a couple a day. The fact that I can sit there while she smokes and not bum one is what tells me I have it licked.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-04-08, 12:57 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Docs always got pissed at me because I would blow those pulmonary capacity tests better than the average non-smoker. Riding and smoking never really bothered me as a fast rec rider/commuter, but I knew that it wouldn't cut it if I raced...which is why I started racing, as motivation to quit. The day I decided to actually enter a race was also the day I quit, cold turkey. Spent like 60 bucks on Commit, but never used them. Cheri is still smoking, but has cut down to only a couple a day. The fact that I can sit there while she smokes and not bum one is what tells me I have it licked.
If you ever finish a race, let me know, and I will notify the Sisters of the Holy Order of Dura Achee to see if they will Certify your Velo Miracle.
Old 06-04-08, 01:01 PM
mrbUSA

Bikes: Scott CR1 Home Spun

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The smell - while disgusting to most - is intoxicating to me.

Intoxicating to me too. Especially the one's being burnt in the morning with coffee.
I quit New Years eve 1998 and sneak one every once in a while [with a cold beverage of course]
Old 06-04-08, 01:14 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Used to smoke on and off, still might light up once in a blue moon (2.6 years). I can go months without even thinking of smoking, but as soon as I see someone smoking, even in a movie, I want to light up. I actually don't enjoy smoking tobackee all that much.
Old 06-04-08, 01:28 PM
Surferbruce

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i started about 15 years ago when i was climbing (rock climbing that is) and did a 4 day big wall with someone who brought some rolling tobacco. ever since, a part of my feeble mind has been hooked. i've never smoked a "regular" cigarette in my life, but if i'm around some of my old climbing buddies (you'd be amazed how many climbers smoke- i have a friend who is one of the best climbers in the world who smokes a ton and just recently summited everest) i'll roll one up.
what keeps me from being a regular smoker anymore is the psychological guilt and paranoia about cancer or strokes. why does it have to be so good yet so bad for you!
some handcut golden and a licorice rizla, damn you pcad, i'm suddenly having a nic fit. thanks.
Old 06-04-08, 01:39 PM
jasandalb
C3 H6 O3 ACID

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just the left handed cigarette kind............but then I dont do it a whole lot because it makes my rides seem longer than they are, and I sometimes forget where I am going, and then end up stopping at taco bell for food, then when I get back on the bike I realize that I have to s**t really bad and start getting really paranoid thinking I wont make it to a bathroom and that the cops are following me.....It just kinda ruins the whole ride......
Old 06-04-08, 02:10 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Rode. Then smoked for 8 year....riding was...not so good. Then quit. Gained a ton of weight (due to diet, but I am sure the metabolism shift didn't help)....riding was...not so good.

Riding while chewing Nicorette was an experience. I actually kind of enjoyed it.

Smoking after a ride always made me feel like poop....so I rode less.

Smoke free for a number of years now. My last "cheating" - like most - occured while drunk and resulted in projectile ejection of stuff from an entry only port. Since then the thought of smoking only brings back that memory.

Thanks to our gov here in IL we went smoke free as a state on Jan 1. That finally eliminated the small ammount of temtation left when operators would hang out outside my door finishing their treats before coming in.

The smell - while disgusting to most - is intoxicating to me.

Now....everytime I go on a lung shredder of a ride and spend the next few hours coughing up stuff that would make for a nice lab experiment I seem to want to blame all of the smoking I did.
not me.

i used to race, ride home, and have a cigarette before a can of coke, or something to eat.

then again, i did feel a bit nauseous when i had a cigarette after my first Maratona. something about riding for 7 hours at altitude probably had something to do with it.
Old 06-04-08, 03:08 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Heyduke
This is me exactly. Sometimes I'll think about this back porch moment while I'm riding and getting close to home. I'll ******** sprint home! Its messed up!

No fallout or distress but I've been doing it so long that I don't know what it feels like to ride as a non-smoker. So, there is quite possibly some distress or fallout but I won't know until I quit.
Man, this could not be more me. I'm getting better, but I actually enjoy the act of smoking a cigarette. It also doesn't help that I moonlight at a sports bar, where during slow periods of the evening I am wont to go out front for a fine tobacco product.

I did quit for a year for my charity ride in 2005, and the difference was immense. I could never do it while riding though.
Old 06-04-08, 07:16 PM
Seedy J
ボケ

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About a pack a day for me. $3 a pack, you can smoke anywhere, and people don't think you're Hitler if you smoke. I do ok on the bike... I'd consider myself a fast recreational rider/slow racer.

Originally Posted by patentcad
If you ever finish a race, let me know, and I will notify the Sisters of the Holy Order of Dura Achee to see if they will Certify your Velo Miracle.
I've finished 3 (mid-pack). Do I get one too ? I can even go pick it up in person... the Vatican of Dura Achee is about a 20 minute ride from my place.
Old 06-04-08, 07:54 PM
Strong Bad
ride lots

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always wanted to show up at a race with a pack of camels rolled up in my sleeve, smokin' the last bit of one of 'em. I'd keep puffin' on the thing until the dude starting the race said "on your mark", then throw the butt down onto the asphalt and crush it with my cleated shoe.... just like I would do to the competition.
Oh yeah, that would have been great!

But in reality, it is have a hard enough time crushing the competition without smoking. So I'm not gonna do that (the smoking part... I still crush the competition).
Old 06-04-08, 08:15 PM
jsmithepa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am the reason they install smoke detectors in porta-potties now.
Old 06-04-08, 08:18 PM
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to; I was the most badass 14 year-old ever. I also didn't ride, because my chauffer drove me around.
Old 06-04-08, 08:21 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonKarter21
I used to; I was the most badass 14 year-old ever. I also didn't ride, because my chauffer drove me around.
Wow, I didn't know you were born with a silver smoke in your mouth!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-04-08, 08:25 PM
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was gold. I was a Camel Kid.
Old 06-04-08, 08:30 PM
jcbenten
Just call me Chris

Bikes: 2019 Reven Voltage, 2007 Kestrel RT700 & Univega MB hard front/tail and is 27 years old.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Tried when I was 13-14 years old. Remembered I had asthma (since I can remember) and now it makes me gag to think about it and getting caught in second hand smoke. Luckily Austin is legislating it away.
Old 06-04-08, 08:35 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonKarter21
It was gold. I was a Camel Kid.
Nowadays being a camel kid will get you put on government watch lists.
Old 06-04-08, 08:48 PM
Seedy J
ボケ

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Strong Bad
I always wanted to show up at a race with a pack of camels rolled up in my sleeve, smokin' the last bit of one of 'em.
Sometimes I have delusions of making a successful break, lighting up a smoke just before the finish line, and doing the victory salute.

Over here, it's not too uncommon to see a pack of smokes in people's jersey pockets, even in races.
Old 06-04-08, 09:01 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Never smoked cigarettes but over the last 6 years I've learned to enjoy a good cigar. Especially after an epic ride. No inhalation, plenty of time to reflect on the ride/day.
Old 06-04-08, 09:05 PM
Jasper Storm

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Satisfy Yourself with a Milder, Better-Tasting smoke - packed for more pleasure by exclusive Accu-Ray....

Chesterfield
Mild, Yet They Satisfy!
Old 06-04-08, 09:06 PM
PeddlingPilgrim
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i stopped years ago, and actually have no desire to light one up again. even when i have a few drinkie drinkies. if i did, i would not be content about it the day after.

i won't say never again, but having someone close pass really quickly from cancer changes your perspective a bit.
Old 06-04-08, 09:13 PM
Asian Sensation
nOOb to the MAX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
The other day I passed three teens on 2 cruisers (one of them on the top tube). The two riding together were sharing a joint, the other one was drinking a beer from the bottle. Hilarious!
sounds gay
Old 06-04-08, 09:17 PM
Feathers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
never smoked tobacco or drugs. i know of people who have and were simultaneously into cycling, they just were not as strong as the non-smokers.
Old 06-04-08, 09:23 PM
sers

Bikes: Land Shark, Level Professional, Tsunami singlespeed, Giant Reign 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've been smoking on and off since i was in my early teens. i'm trying to gear up for knocking it off for good, because i don't want to risk getting something like emphysema and not being able to ride like i do now - that would kill me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.