Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

columbus carbon forks?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

columbus carbon forks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-08, 06:36 AM
re-cycler

Bikes: 2007 Serotta Fierte Ti ; 2003 raleigh m-80 ; 1983 Motobecane Grand Touring (being transformed into Townie)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
columbus carbon forks?

I know Columbus from steel. Anybody have experience/knowledge of Columbus carbon, specifically the Tusk Light road fork? Is it good quality, or should I look to upgrade it if it's on a bike I'm about to purchase?
Old 06-14-08, 10:56 AM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Columbus make very good carbon forks, and have been doing so for a long time. The Tusk Light is one of their cheaper full-carbon models. It'd be a good fork, but not particularly 'fancy' or super-light, if you're a weight weenie

I've got an older Columbus Carve, which is the only full-carbon fork I've ever liked, because most of the ones I've had were too flexy.
Old 06-14-08, 12:06 PM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Top quality stuff. Never seeking to be the lightest product on the block however.
Old 06-14-08, 04:43 PM
re-cycler

Bikes: 2007 Serotta Fierte Ti ; 2003 raleigh m-80 ; 1983 Motobecane Grand Touring (being transformed into Townie)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 531Aussie
Columbus make very good carbon forks, and have been doing so for a long time. The Tusk Light is one of their cheaper full-carbon models. It'd be a good fork, but not particularly 'fancy' or super-light, if you're a weight weenie

I've got an older Columbus Carve, which is the only full-carbon fork I've ever liked, because most of the ones I've had were too flexy.
Thanks, mate. So, are Columbuses in general on the stiff end of the carbon fork spectrum? And the Tusk, being heavier, I guess it'll have fair stiffness.

Btw, just got my new bike guys. Took my first ride today. Love it. Serotta Fierte Ti, with carbon seat stays (and the said Columbus Tusk Light carbon fork (with cool Columbus graphics)).

I'll have pics soon.
Old 06-14-08, 08:06 PM
531Aussie

Originally Posted by re-cycler
So, are Columbuses in general on the stiff end of the carbon fork spectrum?
Not necessarily. I once a Columbus Muscle with a 1" steerer that was pretty flexy. Generally, more weight and bigger blades means more rigidity and stability, and vice versa (forks with aluminium steerers and crowns are usually stiffer again), so I guess it's a safe assumption that the Tusk Light would be rigid rather that floppy.

Last edited by 531Aussie; 06-15-08 at 02:16 AM.
Old 06-14-08, 08:10 PM
sers

Bikes: Land Shark, Level Professional, Tsunami singlespeed, Giant Reign 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They also make two other higher end forks - the super muscle and the carve. Anyone know if these are manufactured in Italy, or the usual Taiwan/Mainland China?
Old 06-14-08, 09:50 PM
phallenthoul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sers
They also make two other higher end forks - the super muscle and the carve. Anyone know if these are manufactured in Italy, or the usual Taiwan/Mainland China?
culumbus carbon forks and seatposts are made in China.

09 Christmas Groupbuy Started
PM me to join My Mail List
Old 06-15-08, 04:08 AM
RichinPeoria
175mm crank of love

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Cinelli Xperience has a Columbus Mega Tusk carbon fork. It is very stiff. Columbus/Cinelli is top of the line as far as I can tell with attention to detail that I have not seen in similar products.
Old 06-15-08, 10:56 PM
531Aussie

The Mega Tusk, with it's alu steerer, should be a stiffer fork than the Tusk Light. Even if the Tusk Light jas an aluminium crown, some flex will come from the carbon steerer:
Originally Posted by alienator
The steerer does flex. Tour magazine has documented as much in their fork tests. The place where a fork flexes most is at the crown. The steerer also flexes....it has to....and it flexes in between the top and bottom HS bearings. This flexure is also well documented. In addition to the flexure, the steerer will also twist as a result of torsional loading.
Although (obviously), that's not to say that all full-carbon forks flex as much as each other -- there are some stiff full-carbon forks out there. So, all Columbus forks can't be judged on the Mega Tusk. I've had 3 Columbus forks: a Muscle, a Carve and a Link, and the Muscle was very flexy, the Link is very stiff, and the Carve is somewhere in between.

I had a Cinelli Proxima (which is what the Xperience used to be called), and it came with a very stiff Columbus Link, which has an alu steerer, and is similar to the Mega Tusk.

Also, I'm not sure about the new Cinelli stuff, but while the overall paint job on my Proxima was good, it wasn't finished with great attention to detail. All the bottom bracket threads were TOTALLY painted (primer and base-coat), as were the rear derailleur threads! I had to spend a bit of cash getting the BB cleaned up