Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SRAM Red Upgrade.....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

SRAM Red Upgrade.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-08, 04:18 PM
ilvwhtgrls

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sers
I have Red in compact- the fd is really finicky when it comes to cable tension - there's a really narrow window of adjustment where shifting to the big ring is immediate and crisp - if it's set too loose it's pretty lackluster. I ended up getting it close in the stand, but fine tuned it with my inline cable adjusters when riding - haven't really had to touch it since, but it had me a little worried/disappointed at first.
i'll check that out, thanks.
Old 08-18-08, 06:26 PM
sers

Bikes: Land Shark, Level Professional, Tsunami singlespeed, Giant Reign 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
I have both a Red FD and a Force FD. I can tell you that the Red FD most certainly does flex a lot. You can pick it up and flex it easily with your finger with very little force. The Force FD doesn't flex nearly as much. As for how this will affect your shifting.... the answer is that it depends. I got a few thousand miles out of mine before I started having problems with it, but it became more and more sensitive to adjustment until it practically would never shift at all. I would watch it try to shift, and you could see it just didn't have the strength to move the chain. It let the chain push it around instead of vice-versa. Part of the problem is the clamp adapter that I have, which is also somewhat flexy. The two combined became unworkable. I had the Force FD on my other bike, so I swapped them. Force bike has Red FD and Red bike has Force FD. They both work fine now. I haven't ridden by old bike with the Red FD since then but others have, so I can't say for sure, but the shifting doesn't seem quite as precise as it did when it had the Force FD.

cool good to know, i have a braze on fd tab (steel) so maybe that's offsetting it a bit. i believe the new force/rival are going to get the "zero loss" treatment for '09 so i'll probably end up picking up one of those once the red ****s the bed.
Old 08-18-08, 07:09 PM
cpa4u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you RIDDEN with SRAM? I have spent the past two weeks on long rides with Campy, SRAM and DA.
Knowing that opinions are like.......well, rear-ends for lack of a better term...........and each to his own and all that i can say this.

1. DA is good ole stand by. Very smooth, very durable. The biggest negative to me are the hoods - they are the least comfortable (to me) of the three.

2. Campy is cool. Hoods are comfortable. Shifting is definate in that you feel the shift every time. flywheel is noisy, but classic.

But as far as which of those two is better, i can see strong merit to both sides' arguments that they are the best groupo.

3. Now SRAM (again, to me) is not a comfortable feeling group. That double tap crap is ridiculous - having to push way in to downshift. And i'll second the comment on the FD - the set up has to be EXACT to get that shifting smooth. THe hoods are better than DA, but that shifting mechanism is clunky, not smooth and sure seems like it would wear out quickly - on average - given the force that is necessary to engage the shifting mechanism.

Now, my opinion and about $4 bucks will buy you a latte.............
Old 08-18-08, 07:20 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cpa4u
3. Now SRAM (again, to me) is not a comfortable feeling group. That double tap crap is ridiculous - having to push way in to downshift. And i'll second the comment on the FD - the set up has to be EXACT to get that shifting smooth. THe hoods are better than DA, but that shifting mechanism is clunky, not smooth and sure seems like it would wear out quickly - on average - given the force that is necessary to engage the shifting mechanism.
I won't value your opinion very much because what you are saying about downshifting is nonsensical. First, the amount that you have to move the lever to upshift the front on Force or Rival is more than Shimano, but Red is less, if anything. And the '09 version of Force and Rival have the same shorter throw as Red. Second, the whole doubletap thing is not difficult and does not require any extra movement over Shimano. Little Shimano lever = move SRAM lever to click. Big Shimano lever = move SRAM lever past click.

As for wearing out, you are just speculating. My personal experience is that they are more robust than at least 105. They certainly have simpler and less moving parts than Shimano.

I have no experience with Campy and offer no opinions.
Old 08-18-08, 07:46 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,174 Times in 1,465 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
When I destroyed two sets of 105 shifters in a year the choice was obvious...
I am sorry but all three manufacturers make very good shifters. If you destroyed two sets of shifters in a year, I would look towards installation and adjustments. Whoever set your bike up didn't do it right - it doesn't make a difference whether it's Shimano, Campy, or Sram. 105 shifters, installed properly, should last 50,000 miles.
Old 08-18-08, 07:56 PM
jinws
one good leg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run Red everything except for crank and brakes. I found lighter parts.

If i had to do it again, I'd wait for the 09 stuff. I went from Ultegra to Red, but it was a new bike, not upgrading an old bike.

I like the double tap, and hood shape. The main reason I got the red was for adjustable lever. I have small hands and I bring my brake levers in so I can reach in the drops.
Old 08-18-08, 07:56 PM
foresthill

Bikes: MTB: Stumpjumper FSR, Road: De Rosa King 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got Red shifters and Force derailleurs (a Force crank and Red cassette, too, but I don't think that's really what's being asked about here.) I upgraded from 10 sp Ultegra over a year ago (I initially had Force shifters.) I absolutely love the SRAM. Double-tap took about 3 rides to get used to, and it's now totally intuitive. Having to use two different levers just seems primitive.

At first, I had a SRAM PC-1090R chain, and I found it to be really noisy. I switched to KMC's 10 sp chain, and it's nice and quiet again.

The shifting is extremely precise. I'll second that it makes a noticeable clunk when shifting the rear. But I find it a satisfying clunk, not an indication of poor adjustment.

In particular, I find the hoods to be wonderfully comfortable. I never could find a comfortable position for those huge knobby Ultegra brifters. They hurt my wrists no matter how I tried to set them up. The Red brifters are super comfy.

I strongly disagree with the above poster's claim that it needs frequent adjustment. It's basically been set-it-and-forget-it for me once the cables finished stretching.
Old 08-18-08, 08:16 PM
travkat
Go as fast as you can

Bikes: Ritte Bosberg with SRAM Red and Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been on the Red for 6 months now and love it. It has been totally worth it.
Old 08-18-08, 08:43 PM
tubescreamerx
climbing

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Ridley Crosswind

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just built up a new bike--Ridley Excalibur frameset with full 2009 SRAM Rival, aside from the crankset, which is Force. I've only done two longer rides with it so far, but I'm already liking the feel of it more than Ultegra. The hoods are noticeably more comfortable, the new brake lever design for 09 Rival is great, as is the zero loss shifting. Setting up the front and rear derailleurs didn't take any more time than Ultegra. My cables haven't fully stretched yet, so I'll probably have to adjust tension later, but that doesn't seem like it will be a problem. Trim on the big ring in the front is a great addition to Rival as well. At first I had to look down to see how far I needed to push the shift lever to shift the front derailleur. Now that I'm used to the double-tap mechanism, I know that I just have to push far enough to hear the clicks. Everything shifts quickly and crisply. It's not as smooth as Ultegra, but it's faster. Also, the fit and finish on 09 Rival is great, and the Force crankset is a perfect complement to the carbon weave on my Excalibur. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't have done it any other way. My setup is lighter than Dura-Ace and equivalent in shift speed and precision. Oh, and I saved a ton of money. As a bike shop employee, I paid under 800 for the groupset.
Old 08-19-08, 06:03 PM
cpa4u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I won't value your opinion very much because what you are saying about downshifting is nonsensical. First, the amount that you have to move the lever to upshift the front on Force or Rival is more than Shimano, but Red is less, if anything.
You crack me up with how emotional you are. It's just a bike. It's just an opinion. Good luck young man.
Old 08-19-08, 06:11 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cpa4u
You crack me up with how emotional you are. It's just a bike. It's just an opinion. Good luck young man.
Who says I'm emotional. Tone doesn't come across very well on the internet.