Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SRAM Force?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

SRAM Force?

Old 08-24-08, 04:22 PM
dagna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SRAM Force?

I have the opportunity to get a SRAM Force group, minus the brakes, from the manufacturer as part of a team deal. I ride a 2005 Trek 2100 with mostly 105 components. I'm not good at wrenching, but my LBS says they can switch the components on my bike for around $100. The group would cost me about $600. As a pretty much recreational rider who averages 75 miles a week, is it worth it to upgrade my 105 to SRAM Force?
Old 08-24-08, 04:28 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the group has 4,000-5,000 miles on it, maybe.
Old 08-24-08, 04:28 PM
enjoi07

Bikes: custom caad9

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
eh...id say not if you can't swich em yourself....08 force goes for $900 on ebay right now...so $600 is a good deal....but$100 for someone else to have the fun of puting the group on.... Just learn how to switch out the group yourself...you get to know every inch of your bike, how it works, and if you dont feel something is right at the end take it in for tune up wich wont cost $100.
Old 08-24-08, 06:47 PM
Medpilot
BOATS AND HOES!

Bikes: Madone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Force over 105? In a heartbeat! And switching it out yourself is not as hard as you might think.
Old 08-24-08, 06:55 PM
ShadowGray
I like my car

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you upgraded the wheels yet? Wheels before components..
Old 08-24-08, 07:20 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by enjoi07
eh...id say not if you can't swich em yourself....08 force goes for $900 on ebay right now...so $600 is a good deal....but$100 for someone else to have the fun of puting the group on.... Just learn how to switch out the group yourself...you get to know every inch of your bike, how it works, and if you dont feel something is right at the end take it in for tune up wich wont cost $100.
the tools will cost that.
Old 08-24-08, 07:23 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ShadowGray
Have you upgraded the wheels yet? Wheels before components..
I wouldn't skip out on a sweet deal, though. Deals come and go; the wheels can come later.
Old 08-24-08, 07:38 PM
sers

Bikes: Land Shark, Level Professional, Tsunami singlespeed, Giant Reign 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this the '09 Force or the '08? I'm guessing a lot of places are looking to clear out old stock before the new groups hit.
Old 08-24-08, 07:57 PM
dagna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sers
Is this the '09 Force or the '08? I'm guessing a lot of places are looking to clear out old stock before the new groups hit.
The order form says it's 2009.

I haven't upgraded the wheels yet, though I could use the money for that, too--it's just that I can upgrade the wheels at any time, while there's a deadline on deciding whether to go for this SRAM deal or not.
Old 08-24-08, 08:02 PM
flirtwitdirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As long as we're on the subject, would the force shifters work with shimano dura ace rear derailleur? Prob a newb question
Old 08-24-08, 08:18 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by flirtwitdirt
As long as we're on the subject, would the force shifters work with shimano dura ace rear derailleur? Prob a newb question
no
Old 08-24-08, 08:30 PM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
new parts do come with instructions. if you have a set of hex wrenches, there really arn't many more tools you may need.
Old 08-24-08, 08:51 PM
palesaint

Bikes: 2008 fetish illustre

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Have you had a chance to ride a bike with Force? It is an extremely slick system, but might not be for everyone. For me, the double tap technology is da bomb. I love getting out of the saddle on a steep climb and being able to almost effortlessly down/upshift with the same finger motion. It's just awesome.

If you haven't at least tried it, definitely consider it. You'll know then if it's worth it. Only problem is knowing that Rival is cheaper and not much heavier and that Red is out there. Oh, and +1 to doing the install youself. You'll learn heeps and have fun doing it.
Old 08-24-08, 09:01 PM
Tapeworm21

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac SL, 2013 Fairdale Weekender, 2013 Fairdale Coaster, 1995 Specialized M2 Pro, 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duty, 2014 Surley Long Haul Trucker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Went from Rival to Red on my bike. Can't tell a difference between the two just to let you know. Yeah, trim on the front, but I don't worry about it at all.
Old 08-24-08, 11:27 PM
enjoi07

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
does the rival make that cool noise that red does....i dont know for some reason i like it
Old 08-24-08, 11:53 PM
Skewer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What does it matter whether or not he does the install himself? Even having the LBS install it, he still saves $200 over that low Ebay price for Force that someone mentioned, not to mention a heck of a lot of time he may not have right now.
Old 08-24-08, 11:57 PM
enjoi07

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
takes two hours .... considering beer breaks
Old 08-24-08, 11:59 PM
enjoi07

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I gotta question....would you guys rather get 08 force or 09 rival...if they were the same price.
Old 08-25-08, 12:05 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
09 Rival
Old 08-25-08, 12:08 AM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tapeworm21
Went from Rival to Red on my bike. Can't tell a difference between the two just to let you know. Yeah, trim on the front, but I don't worry about it at all.
I have Force on one bike and Red on another. The main difference to me is the amount of throw to shift from the little ring to the big ring. In particular, I have trouble with Force when its cold and I lose feeling in my fingers (I have Raynauds)
Old 08-25-08, 12:23 AM
kb5ql
SWS: Small Wheel Syndrome

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket/PedalForce RS2/Specialized Rock Hopper Xtracycle/Periscope Hammerhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
I have Force on one bike and Red on another. The main difference to me is the amount of throw to shift from the little ring to the big ring. In particular, I have trouble with Force when its cold and I lose feeling in my fingers (I have Raynauds)
So, is the throw easier (more Shimano-like) with the Red Gruppo on upshifts from the small -> big ring? That's really my only little niggle with Force and Rival. I have them on the two bikes below. My wife has 105 on hers, and I had forgotten how easy an upshift was on that set.
Old 08-25-08, 12:25 AM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kb5ql
So, is the throw easier (more Shimano-like) with the Red Gruppo on upshifts from the small -> big ring? That's really my only little niggle with Force and Rival. I have them on the two bikes below.
Yes, although I don't know that I would descibe it as shimano-like. 09 Force & Rival will be the same as Red in that regard.
Old 08-25-08, 08:31 AM
DeweyJuice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would try out SRAM to be sure you like it first. I recently bought an 09 Tricross with Rival. I'm not (yet) comfortable with shifting the FD, coming from ultegra. It's not smooth and simple for me. It takes me a bit too much effort and time to shift from the small to big ring. The rear is fine. I'm still giving it time.

umd, are you saying that this 09 rival FD would shift about the same as the 09 force and red? I was considering moving up the SRAM line to force or red at least for the FD shifting. Otherwise, if I don't get comfortable with it I'll have to switch to shimano.
Old 08-25-08, 08:59 AM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DeweyJuice
umd, are you saying that this 09 rival FD would shift about the same as the 09 force and red? I was considering moving up the SRAM line to force or red at least for the FD shifting. Otherwise, if I don't get comfortable with it I'll have to switch to shimano.
As far as the shifters go, Rival=Force, but I'm not sure if Red is still different inside or not, the rep was not clear on that. The FDs themselves are different shapes throughout the line, and made of different materials so that may affect the shift quality. I've had the best luck with a Force FD, personally. They are also compatible with a Shimano FD (but not RD), so you can but your shimano back on and get the same shift you were used to, but with the SRAM levers. That said, it may just need to be adjusted...
Old 08-27-08, 10:44 AM
duuuuuude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I say pick up a new/better frameset and hang force on that.

Very nice frames can be had for $400-$500ish....I'm thinking Cannondale off the top of my head....

Keep the Trek as a back-up/rain bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.