Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pings from the front end, threaded headset loosens

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-16, 05:31 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts

I have a couple of persistent things going on with the front of my Cannondale XR800.

One is a pinging noise that seems like it's coming from the wheel. Or maybe some worse problem. Not sure, have not been able to track it down.

The other is that my (threaded) headset keeps loosening. The jam nuts stay torqued to each other and they move together up threads. Every dozen miles or so I need to screw them back down by hand. The headset is a Stronglight needle bearing type. I don't think it's original to the frame.

I am curious if these could be related and what could be causing them. Could the ping noise be coming from the loose headset? Is something ruined?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-21-16, 05:40 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Is there a channel in the threads of the steerer that would let you use a keyed washer under the locknut? That would keep things from turning. Here's an example of the washer:

Another option is what my Bike Friday has (it's prone to loosening headsets due to the long stem). The locknut has a setscrew that can be tightened with an allen wrench once the headset if adjusted properly.
Old 06-21-16, 05:46 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Regarding the headset, I would check that the split washer, as previously mentioned, is present. After that, check that the threads on the fork and nuts are in good condition.

Pinging spokes is usually indicative of looseness, so check for any excessively loose spokes.
Old 06-21-16, 06:48 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
The Stronglight roller bearing headsets have aluminum threaded parts. Are they stripped so that they no longer hold securely?
Old 06-21-16, 07:34 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
If you're hearing a random crackling/popping from the front wheel, it could be that the hub needs repacking, too.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-21-16, 08:31 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Man, I'd love an excuse to replace these wheels, Vuelta Corsa HD. But they should be overkill. 36h and straight gauge and deep section and low mileage and big tires. And it's the front. Emotionally, anyhow, it doesn't feel likely. Still I'll check the tension.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 06-21-16 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-22-16, 06:31 PM
Randybb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a bike with a threaded headset that kept coming loose every time i ran on rough roads. Also noticed the pinging noise. Kept tightening it as much as I could, to no avail, finally took it apart, found that the keyed washer between the locknut and the top race had been twisted through the threads and stripped so the key wasn't really doing anything when I tightened the locknut.

Replaced the washer, tightened the nut down properly (helps to have a headset wrench to hold the top race), and no issues since.
Old 06-23-16, 07:16 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I have a couple of persistent things going on with the front of my Cannondale XR800.

One is a pinging noise that seems like it's coming from the wheel. Or maybe some worse problem. Not sure, have not been able to track it down.

Check for an obviously loose spoke or cracks in the rim around the spokes. You should also remove the tire and rim strip and inspect the inside of the rim. I've had rims crack between the spokes on the inside of the rim which can be the cause of creaking.

The other is that my (threaded) headset keeps loosening. The jam nuts stay torqued to each other and they move together up threads. Every dozen miles or so I need to screw them back down by hand. The headset is a Stronglight needle bearing type. I don't think it's original to the frame.

I am curious if these could be related and what could be causing them. Could the ping noise be coming from the loose headset? Is something ruined?

Ah, the joys of threaded headsets:roll eyes: As much as you are having to play with the headset, I'd say that it is toast already. You probably have pits in the cups and are well on your way to indexed steering.

Threaded headsets are prone to unscrewing. Mountain bikers from the 90s will tell you tales of having to replace headsets almost on a weekly basis because the damned things wouldn't stay tight during the stresses that mountain biking puts on the headset. There was a rather large cottage industry of collar locks for preventing the locknut from unscrewing that worked with only limited success. Some companies included them like this one.

You might still be able to find one (if your headset isn't toast) or you could use a shaft lock collar. Check McMaster-Carr for the shaft lock.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-23-16, 07:42 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

Ah, the joys of threaded headsets:roll eyes: As much as you are having to play with the headset, I'd say that it is toast already. You probably have pits in the cups and are well on your way to indexed steering.
You must not be familiar Stronglight A-9 roller bearing headsets.
Old 06-23-16, 09:58 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Grand Bois
Not directly, no. But looking at one, I see nothing that would keep it from loosening like every threaded headset I've ever owned. Nor do I see anything that would protect the headset body from damage if the headset is loose.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-23-16, 10:34 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

It's a Delta, if we are being picky :-D
Old 06-23-16, 10:52 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
The headset is a Stronglight needle bearing type. I don't think it's original to the frame.
Check to make sure the stack height is ok for the steerer length. If the steerer is too long you will FEEL like you are tightening the locknut against the adjustable race, when in fact you are just bottoming the nut out against the steerer without making "Locking" contact against the adjustable race.
Old 06-23-16, 11:02 AM
Grand Bois

Not directly, no. But looking at one, I see nothing that would keep it from loosening like every threaded headset I've ever owned. Nor do I see anything that would protect the headset body from damage if the headset is loose.
They don't index and the races are replaceable. That's why I have them on four bikes.
Old 06-23-16, 11:10 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Thanks everyone for the things to check. I hope to return to my bike soon, this has been a busy week for me in non-bike life. I'll report back.
Old 06-23-16, 04:01 PM
cyccommute 

They don't index and the races are replaceable. That's why I have them on four bikes.
But they apparently didn't fix the loosening problem...and I doubt that a loose headset does the bearings and races any good.

Old 06-23-16, 06:01 PM
Grand Bois

I'm addressing this statement. I said nothing about loosening because it can loosen like any other threaded headset. My point is that it's not "toast". These headsets can be repaired with a kit that includes races and bearings. I've never heard of one getting indexed. The contact area of roller bearings is much larger than balls.

Darth Lefty:
The Delta is functionally the same as the A-9. It's just more "space age" looking.