Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Where trike mfg are going wrong

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 07-30-19, 06:52 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts

It seems that most new models of trikes have gone to direct steering. It makes them more twitchy at higher speeds. Indirect steering is a little like having power steering, and is more stable.
Old 07-30-19, 07:46 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I've not ridden a trike with direct steering, but they are reported to "feel" more stable at higher speeds. My ICE Sprint has indirect steering and I would say that it feels ok at higher speeds, though I know that it takes an easy touch to avoid drama. I fear that I would be all over the place with any more sensitive steering. Then again, one learns and adjusts.

I'd guess the trend is related to cost reduction.
Old 07-30-19, 08:31 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I suppose any sort of indirect steering can incorporate 'gearing' to slow down steering responses, which some people would like and others... would not.
Old 07-30-19, 09:31 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Direct steering has long been seen as the 'performance' option in much the same way as rack and pinion steering on sports cars was seen as superior to ... ... whatever kind of steering was the status quo before rack and pinion came to dominate across all vehicle platforms. And its cheaper as an earlier poster noted. Not often you get that kind of win-win so, yes, trike manufacturers are going to be all over direct steering going forward. But indirect steering will always be around, it will just be harder to find.
Old 07-30-19, 02:48 PM
ronrich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, indirect

I am a fan of indirect steering. The great advantage of the indirect approach is, yes, you can set the 'gearing' for your steering.
But more importantly you can have several different 'gain ratios' that you can use as the need arises. Usually selected just by
a series of connecting holes, as is the case with my fairly ancient Linear folder.

So if you will be doing some relatively high speed riding you might want less sensitive steering. But for around town use, more sensitive
steering might make more sense. Just undo a nut, move the bolt and you can have it whichever way you want it.

Ron
Old 07-30-19, 03:55 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,560 Times in 2,090 Posts
I prefer indirect steering but direct steering has been around on Catrikes for a long, long time and I don't see their sales hurting any. Regardless, they aren't headed there, they've been there fully since at least 2005, 14 years ago.

Old 07-30-19, 03:59 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I would think that "twitchiness" is more directly related to the geometry in respect to direct steering. I had two Catrike Roads and they both were fine in the steering dept. after the bushing update to the headsets.
Old 07-31-19, 05:35 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I can't change the gearing on my indirect steering without modification. The wheels turn further than the bars by a large margin, which can make it a handful at speed.
To stabilise it I've weighed-up the steering with some resistance.
Old 07-31-19, 04:04 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
You may as well argue for rack and pinion steering. It would also work just fine, if you can arrange it so your knees don't hit the wheel. I don't see how the steering would have made a difference to stability. I've controlled enough different vehicles in my life to adapt to different steering forces (including learning to drive on a Chevy Caprice with casually overpowered steering, and R/C planes and cars which have no force feedback at all) and that's not the same as stability.

The steering geometry is way more important. Like the location and height of the CG, caster, etc. I really felt the Terra Trike didn't have enough tendency to return to center. It was really neutral, I felt too neutral.

I'm also sure it would have felt a lot more stable with full suspension.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-02-19, 01:15 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
There are a number of recumbent bikes and trikes known to be 'twitchy' or 'a handful'. The Windcheetah Hypersport is one such beast. There are others. Highracers and Lowracers are no ones idea of a 'docile' or 'easy' bicycle. And velomobiles? How many of those rare and expensive beasts have been lost to ... pilot error? And we just take it on the chin when we 'screw up' and strive to do better. If the first attempt didn't leave a lasting injury precluding further explorations. Nutz to that. Within weeks of building my Highracer, I fashioned a steering damper for it AND a powerful 'return to center' force moment that allowed me, at 60, to ̶r̶i̶d̶e̶ control the thing like someone half my age, by the end of the first riding season.

I have been roundly criticized for doing this on other recumbent specific forums. Its seen as cheating. It's seen as unnecessary. Maybe. But there is the evidence of those broken bikes (and their riders) and trikes and cracked open velomobiles. What about that? Just yesterday I had occasion to say that I believe trikes and velomobiles should all come with powerful 'return to center' spring mechanisms from the factory. Why from the factory? Because then it wouldn't seem like such a cheat to install one.
Old 08-02-19, 02:07 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Within weeks of building my Highracer, I fashioned a steering damper for it AND a powerful 'return to center' force moment that allowed me, at 60, to ̶r̶i̶d̶e̶ control the thing like someone half my age, by the end of the first riding season.
A fully faired and socked TourEasy has a return-to-center spring provided by the lycra sock centering the handlebars. I don't think that's cheating. Not everyone likes the effect, though.
Old 08-11-19, 10:25 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
On a group trike ride yesterday I observed a direct steer trike and its reaction to bumps. When a bump was hit, the two front wheel would wobble wildly. It looked almost dangerous to me. After seeing that I have even less use for a direct steer bike.