Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cable actuated disc brakes, Spyre, HY/RD or BB7's???

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-14, 07:18 AM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm in need of disc brakes for a frame build up and am in need of a little advice with regard to disc brakes. I'm presently leaning toward the HY/RD's but am a little uncertain as their are reports of early versions of the brake being spongy, supposedly fixed in newer versions? My second choice at almost half the price would be the Spyre's with BB7's at ~85% of the price of the HY/RD's.

The cheapskate in me says get the Spyre's but on the other shoulder is a little guy saying HY/RD's. FWIW, I've never had discs on a bike before so it's all new to me.

Anyone able to offer up an opinion?
Old 09-18-14, 07:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Did you read the archives first? tandem crowd had discussions & Cross -commuting
Old 09-18-14, 08:11 AM
edthesped

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Did you read the archives first? tandem crowd had discussions & Cross -commuting
I have, the HY/RD's get mixed reports from spongy to excellent. There is a local guy that had his HY/RD's replaced by TRP and at last report was satisfied.

Coming from a non disc background none of the threads I've read really seemed to address pro's and cons of each. The Tandom thread I found "Bee's Knees" and read through it thoroughly. The benefit I see from the HY/RD's is that they are self adjusting, something that no other mechanicals are and are more like full hydraulic, again not sure what that means as I've never ridden a disc equipped bike. Having never owned or ridden a disc setup I don't really know how much of a pain it is to adjust Spyre's or BB7's or how much better a hydraulic setup is. I have read enough to cast doubt on any choice and to not even consider BB5's though. In other words I have read enough to be dangerous. From a purely budgetary standpoint, is the gain worth almost double the cost?
Old 09-18-14, 08:14 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I also have no disc experience so the following is strictly second hand. A poster on another forum I know and trust reported he replaced Avid BB7's (road pull) with the TRPs and finds them much better.
Old 09-18-14, 08:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bike Friday fitted BB7 on the bike they made , they're better after breaking in, some, and cleaning, changing the pads in the LBS a couple years later.

Has 2 knobs for DIY pad wear .. Im riding in the winter.. but not far, or fast, on it ..

on to the next anecdote ..
Old 09-18-14, 08:21 AM
edthesped

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I also have no disc experience so the following is strictly second hand. A poster on another forum I know and trust reported he replaced Avid BB7's (road pull) with the TRPs and finds them much better.
Being a fellow yinzer I appreciate good stopping power on some of the local hills and am somewhat concerned about the HY/RD's going spongy.
Old 09-18-14, 08:23 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by edthesped
Being a fellow yinzer I appreciate good stopping power on some of the local hills and am somewhat concerned about the HY/RD's going spongy.
+1 Good brakes are a bit of an advantage around here.
Old 09-22-14, 04:22 PM
edthesped

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Okay, for anyone else considering HY/RD's that is concerned about getting the revised model. I came across the following article to help identify the upgraded version...

https://www.cxmagazine.com/trp-brakes...interbike-2014

FWIW, I did purchase a set of HY/RD's and to my relief they match the description of the updated version.

Last edited by edthesped; 09-22-14 at 04:27 PM.