Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best entry carbon bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best entry carbon bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-18, 01:12 PM
bronxbombers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best entry carbon bike

I have been riding Fuji Absolute (flatbar with 105) for about a year and Specialized Allez E5 Elite (tiagra) for a couple weeks. I usually ride for leisure (<50 miles a year), but I have been enjoying riding Allez and looking to get into cycling. So I am looking to upgrade into entry road bikes with carbon frames and 105 components that could last me awhile, instead of having to upgrade in another couple years. So far, I have come up with these 4 bikes:
Felt FR5
Specialized Roubaix Sport
Specialized Tarmac Sport
Cervelo R2
I got to try Felt FR5 and my body position feels less aggressive than Allez and pretty comfortable. I haven’t tried other 3 yet. LBS is offering Felt for 1600, but based on my research it seems like Specialized Roubaix/Tarmac has a superior frame (correct me if I am wrong). I am planning to give Tarmac and Roubaix test ride today or tomorrow, but the biggest difference between these two seems to be geometry and FS. I am still in the 20s, so I am looking for something that is speedy and quick, responsive handling. I haven’t ridden a long distance, but as I get stronger, I may want to ride long distance in the future. Given these circumstances, which bike would you guys recommend? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-17-18, 01:16 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
< 50 mi / year. Was that a typo?

the roubaix will be less aggressive than the tarmac and allez.

Last edited by GeneO; 06-17-18 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-17-18, 01:25 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
The Felt F series has a very low head tube (meaning lots of spacers for most people), but if the geometry works for you, I'd go for that. I have the AR 5, and the frame (same material, different shapes) is a good one. It's not the high-end carbon, but it certainly suffices and I race it at the elite level with no compromises.

Edited to add: It looks like the 2018 F series has a head tube 15mm taller than previous years, so that's nice!

Last edited by rubiksoval; 06-17-18 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-17-18, 02:42 PM
bronxbombers

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO

Its not a typo.
I live in midwest so I only get to bike during summer and fall.
Does being less aggressive mean slower speed?
Old 06-17-18, 03:20 PM
jwh20

Bikes: Felt Z5, Look 675 Light, Specialized Diverge

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The Felt FR5 is from their "race" bike line. Probably much more aggressive riding position than the casual rider would appreciate. I have a Felt Z5, which is no longer in their lineup but the VR5 or VR6 are similar and might be a better choice. The biggest difference between these two seems to be the groupset with the VR5 having Shimano 105 and the VR6 with Tiagra. At 50 miles/year the Tiagra will serve you well for the rest of your life.
Old 06-17-18, 03:52 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bronxbombers
Its not a typo.
Yes and no. It would only make a difference if you were in the habit of riding more like 50 miles a day or week. Even then, if the bug has bitten you and you expect to start riding A LOT more, any bona fide road bike should be plenty fast until you decide to start actually racing. I must say, though, as flat bar bikes go, yours is quite nice, and I'd think you'd want to get out on it more.

I'd recommend the Felt, mostly because I dislike Special'd, and my first bike (as an adult) was a Felt, and it was great - I totally got into riding and racing with it.
Old 06-17-18, 04:02 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Nothing is really going to suck in this category:

The frames will all be competent. 105 is a solid performer (though some models will not have full 105, often substituting the crankset and/or brakes). The wheelsets and tires will probably be weak link.

What you really need to do is decide what kind of riding your see yourself doing and find out what style of frame you're going to be most comfortable on for those rides. Good LBS support will be important in all of this, too, and should certainly be factored in.
Old 06-17-18, 04:33 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO

Its not a typo.
50 miles per year?

50 miles is a normal ride for me.
Old 06-17-18, 04:43 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I would stick with the allez for a year.
Old 06-17-18, 05:05 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

Its not a typo.
less aerodynamic geometry, built for longer distance riding.

But you will not be able to take advantage of potential speed for a while I think.
Old 06-17-18, 05:14 PM
MindTrip

Bikes: '15 Cervelo S3 Trek Alpha 1.5

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't spend that much cash on a bike if I am only going to do 50 miles per year. That equates to 2 hours of cycling, give or take, which puts cycling pretty low on the list of priorities. I would stick with the flat bar and invest in your more time intensive hobbies.
Old 06-17-18, 05:21 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
50 miles a year?? The tires wouldn't need to be replaced for 30 years unless they dry rotted.
Old 06-17-18, 05:26 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Guys, come on - read [emphasis mine]

I usually ride for leisure (<50 miles a year), but I have been enjoying riding Allez and looking to get into cycling
Old 06-17-18, 05:33 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
50 miles per year?

50 miles is a normal ride for me.
Originally Posted by Lazyass
50 miles a year?? The tires wouldn't need to be replaced for 30 years unless they dry rotted.
Yes, 50 miles per year but wanting to do more. Everyone has to start somewhere. Let's help this person out rather than to judge please.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 06-17-18, 05:39 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I'd say just keep riding the Allez. It's a fine bike, and putting more miles on it will help you learn what kind of riding is most enjoyable for you, and allow you to make a more educated choice about what bike you want.
Old 06-17-18, 05:50 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Yes, 50 miles per year but wanting to do more. Everyone has to start somewhere. Let's help this person out rather than to judge please.
I was simply trying to clarify, so to better help the OP find a bike that fits their needs.

Someone that rides 50 miles per year, probably doesn't need a CF bike to get into cycling.

Last edited by noodle soup; 06-18-18 at 02:15 AM.
Old 06-17-18, 07:07 PM
MarinFan63

Bikes: Marin cf and Specialized Rockhopper comp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Marin

I have a 2014 Marin cf and love it
Old 06-17-18, 11:20 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Is there something you don't like about the Allez? Does it not fit? I would recommend riding the Allez for a year. Once you have 2000-3000 miles under your belt in a year, you'll be able to judge the feel of any new bike you test ride and you'll get a bike that is comfortable and works for you. It's one thing to ride a bike down the street, but another matter to sit on a bike and ride for two hours. You'll build up core strength over time and bikes that have more aggressive riding position (leaned over more forward) won't be uncomfortable. It would be sad to spend a good chunk of hard earned money on a bike that doesn't work for you in the long run.
Old 06-18-18, 08:27 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Any reputable brand with carbon frame and 105 components is usually good for entry level carbon. I paid $2K for a Trek Domane with 105, but a good CF-framed bike can be had at Nashbar or BikesDirect for half of that.
Old 06-18-18, 09:28 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
If I have to choose with your list, I'd go with the Tarmac. If you want to save money, keep riding the Allez and wait until 12 speed become derigeur for road bikes, then buy your next carbon bike.
Old 06-18-18, 09:48 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Is there a particular reason you want carbon? Most of a bikes excess weight is in wheels and tires.

I wouldn't limit yourself to a certain material. If you find a bike that fits, it'll be more comfortable than one that doesn't, regardless of material.
Old 06-19-18, 03:13 PM
jordanair45
Banned.

Bikes: 16' SS Hi-Mod, 15' CAAD12

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Gotta recommend the diamondback podium. When it's on sale you cant beat it Imo
Old 06-19-18, 03:34 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
It wouldn't be bad to start by finding the bike shop the more serious riders in your area prefer and seeing what brands they sell. You'll probably be making use of them for a while.
Old 06-19-18, 06:16 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by mrchristian
Keep the Allez unless it is radically too small or too big.

Spend $100 on a bike fit instead.

Case in point: Guy ("full time student on limited budget") buys a $4,000 Pinarello, spends $1400 on wheels, $350 Garmin and starts a new chain fishing for people to justify buying more stuff...to save 0.9lbs!
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...-bike-day.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...er-wheels.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...lo-gan-rs.html
+1

Unless you have deep pockets, and just want to spend some money, just ride more.
Old 06-20-18, 06:00 AM
harrisonk

Bikes: Pinarello Gan RS

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrchristian
Keep the Allez unless it is radically too small or too big. The guys I ride with all ride the entry level aluminum stuff which we buy used, we're not hardcore leg shavers but we ride quite a bit, maybe 1,000 miles a year. Unless you get upgrade-itis, 9 speed or 10 speed stuff is perfectly fine. It's crazy to me seeing people buy brand new bikes "hi, I just got a bike after 10 years of not riding and bought a high end carbon bike" and immediately ask what carbon handlebars and expensive doodads they should buy. Your hobby isn't riding, it's shopping which is fine (it's your money) but the internet enables that kind of thing so be aware of that.

Spend $100 on a bike fit instead.

Case in point: Guy ("full time student on limited budget") buys a $4,000 Pinarello, spends $1400 on wheels, $350 Garmin and starts a new chain fishing for people to justify buying more stuff...to save 0.9lbs!
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...-bike-day.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...er-wheels.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...lo-gan-rs.html
Hi, that would be me. Let me clarify: I raced up and down the east coast for many years before life got in the way. Not only was I riding 300 miles per week per year (yes, about 15,000 miles annually), my career highlight was placing second at Mt Washington for my age group. Suffice it to say, I was never a casual rider looking to get involved with cycling. Now that life has freed up, albeit it slightly, (and I don’t live in the middle of a city making it difficult to ride), I plan to get back to riding. Since I started riding again, I’ve averaged about 10 hours per week.

Although it is true that I’m a “full-time law student with a limited budget,” I wanted to buy something to replace my 15 year old custom-made Guru that has nearly 100,000 miles on it. Purposely, I bought the best thing I could afford—middle of the line frame, last generation mechanical groupset (Ultegra 6800, not 8000), and entry-level wheels. As should be clear from mentioning Mt Washington above, I have always enjoyed climbing. As such, I have started a few threads looking to save weight, as that is important for my type of riding. My “hobby” is in no way “shopping [rather than] riding.”

To the OP: there is nothing wrong with buying a carbon frame knowing you’d like to start riding more and that you enjoy being on the bike. A carbon frame, and better all around bike, will make riding more enjoyable despite the comments here. I am unfamiliar with the Felt (although I have a 2008 Felt Carbon TT bike, which I used to greatly enjoy) but I would highly suggest the Tarmac. I lived in 5 states in 5 years, and one of them was MN. There is fantastic riding in the Midwest despite the long winters. If you’re anywhere near the twin cities and want some info regarding groups to ride with, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me.

Last edited by harrisonk; 06-20-18 at 08:32 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.