Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best upgrades after wheels?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best upgrades after wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-18, 06:03 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by harrisonk
I have a saddle that I'm happy with (I'm not unhappy with) but I have been considering a new saddle for no other reason than to save weight. I'm not unhappy with anything about the bike, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to make me significantly happier with it.
Uh oh. Warning sign.
Old 06-21-18, 01:45 PM
harrisonk

Bikes: Pinarello Gan RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 06-21-18, 01:57 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
Frame.
+1
If you are concerned about weight why did you start with a Pinarello Gan?
Old 06-21-18, 02:05 PM
harrisonk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
+1
If you are concerned about weight why did you start with a Pinarello Gan?
It is true that I'd like something on the lighter side, however, that was not a determinative factor when selecting the bike. I was originally torn between the Cervelo R5 and S5. The R5 didn't sing to me in person, and the S5 seemed impractical (certainly not a bike to climb up Mt. Washington with). I decided that I wanted a good "all around" race bike, i.e. not something climbing specific or aero specific. I decided on the Pinarello or a Bianchi Oltre XR3 (for many years I've admired the Italian brands such as Pinarello, Bianchi, and Colnago). The Pinarello was a better fit for my body. Thus, I selected the Pinarello without regard to the weight. Now that I happily own it, I'm looking to make a few upgrades for both performance and weight-saving reasons.
Old 06-21-18, 02:22 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by harrisonk
What would you upgrade after wheels on a brand new high mod carbon road bike? I'm thinking about swapping out my 10+ year old entry-level Look Keo pedals for Look Keo Blade Carbon Ti, or replacing my Fizik Airone Versus Evo for a Berk composites Lupina. What would you do?
Imo i either woundn't "upgrade" anything or upgrade everything including the frame. now i build all my bikes from scratch. i have about 20k in bikes now. its just not economically sound to upgrade anything on a bike except from building a new one from scratch. since the "upgrade" gives you basically jack shyt. dont get me wrong eveything xtr or da is nice to have but to be honest a tiagra rear derrailleur works just as good as DA. it just weighs like 20 grams more.

20 years ago the da/xtr was better but now its just lighter.
hubs are cool though.
I have true precision hubs and those are instant engagement. and thats nice. but compared to dt with 36poe upgrade or shimano slx with 32 poe its not a big deal to be honest. the TP is like 400 bucks and the slx is 35 bucks though.

imo: either you build durable/light/whatever from the start or you live with what you have and replace when stuff breaks. because you will have to upgrade exactly eveything to lighten stuff up significally. just saying.

personally I would upgrade the carbon frame to an italian lugged steel frame (or lynskey ti). but i'm probably alone with that upgrade.
Old 06-21-18, 02:33 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
anyway I see you thinking about saddles.

saddles work like this: they have different shapes. and only one shape will suit you!

for me its selle italia slr series. these are basically flat saddles seen from the side. and wtb banana "v" shaped ones suit me very badly. many people swear by wtb "v" saddles. but for me its total crap. its the wrong shape. for you this could be good though. kinda doubt it though.

I guess is what I'm saying is that you use this bike to find out what you really want then sell it and build the next one from scratch. with what you really want.
Old 06-24-18, 05:38 PM
harrisonk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Berk Lupina installed. It rides really well. No soreness or numbness anymore. I'm a little worried about durability as the saddle weighs only 70 grams. I also bought new shoes--Specialized SWorks Road shoes. Big upgrade from my entry -level Specialized road shoes from 2006! I like the saddle a lot more than the shoes. My feet aren't accustomed to such stiff shoes yet. Next up are pedals and then I'm done building the bike for a while, other than incrementally lowering the stem and ultimately cutting the tube.