Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ironman freewheel Change Help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ironman freewheel Change Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-19, 11:03 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
The other problem with that is that it won't accomodate a 7s cassette any more since the threaded lockring takes up several critical millimeters of the freehub body's width.
So you would have to downgrade to just six cogs or use narrower 9s cogs and spacers.
Very true. I debated whether mentioning that explicitly was helpful or not.

I do agree that modding a 7-speed HG cassette and using a UG small cog would be the best way forward. You can still find them out there.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-20-19, 12:40 PM
Kars 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Correct but you will need the screw on sprocket from your original UG cassette. In the video he's using this for a 6 speed however yours is for 7 speed so you should be even easier. I think so too that this is the easiest method if keeping same wheels and 7 speed. But if you just want to get it back on the road then getting the wheels from robbietunes seems like a good option and the you can just screw on your new freewheel
You have the '88 or '89 master?
I've learned through trial and error, considering Centurion Ironman came in screw on freewheel, Uniglide, and my '89 Master came in Hyperglide.
I have the '88 master. Interesting that the 89 came in hyperglide. Missed it by only a year.
Old 02-20-19, 01:13 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by Kars
I have the '88 master. Interesting that the 89 came in hyperglide. Missed it by only a year.
I'm not sure all '89 master IM came in HG but mine did. Do you have the yellow white fade? That is a sweet looking and riding ride. Like you I had an all original one but now my riding buddy has it however its now sporting a complete group (including hubs) 9 speed ultegra. Doh can't find a pic of the one I had.
Old 02-20-19, 02:16 PM
diomekes

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '88 Basso Loto, '89 Panasonic MC-5500, '92 Vitus 992

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Correct for the video method you suggested however he was asking about the video method I posted.
Oops, I thought he was talking about the one I posted. In the video I posted, are any extra parts needed for the axle parts? I assumed not, but now I'm not so sure...
Old 02-20-19, 06:14 PM
Kars 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I'm not sure all '89 master IM came in HG but mine did. Do you have the yellow white fade? That is a sweet looking and riding ride. Like you I had an all original one but now my riding buddy has it however its now sporting a complete group (including hubs) 9 speed ultegra. Doh can't find a pic of the one I had.
I have the purole one. See attached.
I assume switching over everything to ultegra 9 speed brings the weight down quite a bit.
Old 02-20-19, 08:52 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
I had one of those too. Honestly I don't remember if there was any difference in weight when I went from stock 7 speed tricolor to 9 speed ultegra. But I do remember that purple rain frame being so light especially compared to my '89 expert it made me believe the master frames are lighter than the expert frames.
Either way, you got a nice Ironman.
Old 02-21-19, 05:56 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 963 Posts
@Kars, switch to friction shifting (your shifters can do that) and modify a 9 speed HG cassette to fit on your UG freehub. You will find that friction shifting on HG sprockets to be smooth and easy. This is the simplest solution and you gain an extra gear.

My two cents is that 9 speed Ultegra would add weight (albeit an imperceptibly small amount).

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com