Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-23, 10:05 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I am sure if you do it once for them, including the initial cleaning, they will become converts.

I hate to break it to you, but it is largely the immersion waxed chain and a bit the cooler weather.
My buddy who owns that Canondale Supersix is planning to do a full drivetrain upgrade soon. I told him to give me his new chain when he gets it and I'll dip it in wax! I used to spend so much time cleaning my chain and cassette, but now everything looks spotless!

On a side note, while on our descent at Griffith Park, we encountered a young kid with a tubeless tire flat on his gravel bike. I noticed his WTB Nano tires (clincher version) weren't even tubeless compatible! Apparently the bike shop he went to did the tubeless job for him, saying his tires were fine for tubeless. Had the kid been on a sketchy dirt descent he'd probably break some bones and lose some teeth! Luckily it happened on the flat section on the road and we gave him a 28c tube for his 40c tire, enough to limp back home. I told him to go back to that bike shop and demand a discount or something. He would have been in a world of hurt had he crashed. Also I notice 5 out of 10 cyclists who rode by offered to help, the other 5 were too fixated on their Strava segment times!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 10-28-23, 02:16 AM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 717 Posts
Critical Mass Halloween version tonight. Family dressed up as Woody, Bo Peep and 2 sheep.

Likes For malcala622:
Old 10-30-23, 07:57 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
Bikepacked to West Fork Trail Camp

While my friends backpacked to camp, I took the adjacent fire road from the Red Box Ranger Station to camp. Great weekend, overnight lows in the mid 40’s, not bad…. We had a fun time.

Old 10-30-23, 10:29 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Bovine Classic gravel race/event in Atascadero on Saturday (73mi/7300'). It was hard, and spectacular. Against my better judgement, I followed early groups that were going harder than I really should have been going, and burned a few too many matches too early. At mile 25, I was already feeling the first signs of being stretched to my limits. i settled into an effort range that I could manage, and just kept turning pedals. At the top of the second big climb (about mile 40), I hooked up with a friend and his brother, and we finished the ride together. Both of them were a little stronger on the climbs, but I was faster going downhill, and able to provide a good motor on the flatter sections to contribute to our pace. I finished feeling like I could not have given any more than I did, which was my goal. https://www.strava.com/activities/10121510025

Old 10-30-23, 10:51 AM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by Eric F
Bovine Classic gravel race/event in Atascadero on Saturday (73mi/7300'). It was hard, and spectacular. Against my better judgement, I followed early groups that were going harder than I really should have been going, and burned a few too many matches too early. At mile 25, I was already feeling the first signs of being stretched to my limits. i settled into an effort range that I could manage, and just kept turning pedals. At the top of the second big climb (about mile 40), I hooked up with a friend and his brother, and we finished the ride together. Both of them were a little stronger on the climbs, but I was faster going downhill, and able to provide a good motor on the flatter sections to contribute to our pace. I finished feeling like I could not have given any more than I did, which was my goal. https://www.strava.com/activities/10121510025
Nice! Based on the elevation and terrain, did you find your 1x drivetrain and tire size sufficient? I'm just curious how different gravel drivetrain and tire setups play out in an actual gravel race.
Old 10-30-23, 02:42 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Nice! Based on the elevation and terrain, did you find your 1x drivetrain and tire size sufficient? I'm just curious how different gravel drivetrain and tire setups play out in an actual gravel race.
Everything was pretty good, but not ideal. The tires were fine for me. There were a couple of sections where a little more squish might have been nice, but it wasn't a big difference-maker. For gearing, there were a couple of times where I would have liked a little more - at both ends. On a couple of climbing sections, the low end of my 38T x 11-42 setup made for some serious grinding. I never had to walk, but one more lower gear would have been put to use. There was a slightly-downhill segment in the second half of the course where one more gear on the high end would have put my pedaling in a more comfortable cadence range for me. That said, as a firmly mid-pack performer (overall, and age group), different tires or gears wouldn't have made any difference in my finish. If I was putting together the ideal race bike for this course, it would be 40-42 tires with 50/34 x 11-42 gearing...and better legs.

I continue to be very impressed with the performance of the Pirelli H/M tire combination I'm running - fast, grippy, and durable. The Spec Pathfinder Pros are a very popular tire, but I saw quite a bit of the same issue I found with the Challenge Getaways. The smooth center section does not offer much traction for the initiation of a turn in loose conditions, and most people react by trying to keep the bike more upright, slowing way down because it's not turning as tightly as they need. For those tires, getting them leaned over and getting the cornering blocks biting earlier would help. For the Pirelli M, however, the transition to cornering knobs happens much sooner, and I found a whole lot of solid, confident grip in the dirt, and no noticeable penalty on pavement.

Last edited by Eric F; 10-30-23 at 03:15 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 10-30-23, 05:18 PM
jonathanf2

Everything was pretty good, but not ideal. The tires were fine for me. There were a couple of sections where a little more squish might have been nice, but it wasn't a big difference-maker. For gearing, there were a couple of times where I would have liked a little more - at both ends. On a couple of climbing sections, the low end of my 38T x 11-42 setup made for some serious grinding. I never had to walk, but one more lower gear would have been put to use. There was a slightly-downhill segment in the second half of the course where one more gear on the high end would have put my pedaling in a more comfortable cadence range for me. That said, as a firmly mid-pack performer (overall, and age group), different tires or gears wouldn't have made any difference in my finish. If I was putting together the ideal race bike for this course, it would be 40-42 tires with 50/34 x 11-42 gearing...and better legs.
Have you considered pushing your GRX RD slightly with an 11-46t cassette? I would presume with a 38t front chainring, there would still be enough leeway on the RD to go one gear lower. I run a 40t with an 11-48t cassette + GoatLink and there are still times when I hit those steep double digit climbs wishing I had more gearing! I also run my clutch full-time, but have it set on the least stiffest tension. It's just enough to keep the chain from bouncing everywhere, while allowing fairly smooth shifting.
Old 10-30-23, 05:28 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Have you considered pushing your GRX RD slightly with an 11-46t cassette? I would presume with a 38t front chainring, there would still be enough leeway on the RD to go one gear lower. I run a 40t with an 11-48t cassette + GoatLink and there are still times when I hit those steep double digit climbs wishing I had more gearing! I also run my clutch full-time, but have it set on the least stiffest tension. It's just enough to keep the chain from bouncing everywhere, while allowing fairly smooth shifting.
Until Saturday, I hadn't encountered anything where I was looking for more than a 42. In my usual riding, my setup serves me just fine. I haven't messed with the clutch tension, but right now, I'm riding with it off because I don't like how it shifts with it on.
Old 10-30-23, 09:50 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
late start around 2pm. 22-miler circumnavigating the town of el cajon. upper 70's/low 80's.
some heavy traffic streets along with some barely there traffic streets. nice to be out and the
sun/heat felt good on the old bones.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 10-31-23, 06:48 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 541 Posts
27 miles down to the new bridge in Long Beach. The wind, dust and everything else really tore up my lungs. When we got to the top of the bridge I couldn't stop coughing for 20 minutes. I'm taking today off.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 11-01-23, 05:59 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
27 miles down to the new bridge in Long Beach. The wind, dust and everything else really tore up my lungs. When we got to the top of the bridge I couldn't stop coughing for 20 minutes. I'm taking today off.
Bridge + Santa Ana winds + my fear of heights ...
Old 11-03-23, 12:17 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

46-miler from sdsu to coronado and back.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 11-05-23, 04:59 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Nice clear day with low humidity and mild breezes made for an O/B down to Seal Beach via Turnbull Cyn into Whittier and down the SGRT. Several clubs out today and only two motorcycles. Took Coyote Creek back to Alondra and crossed over into La Mirada and Whittier. Uneventful ride and TBH kind of a slog riding the MUPS. The Puente Hills are by far more fun even if repetitive than the MUPS, Found myself nodding off on the CCT.

Sad bunch of Pigeons at Lands End. Sign not visible advises "Don't feed the Pigeons." Two Squirrels photobombed the birds.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 11-06-23 at 03:09 PM.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 11-05-23, 05:18 PM
jonathanf2

I really need more exciting bike routes. I just did 32 miles this Sunday up to the Griffith Observatory! I saw 5 bike mechanicals on my way there as well. Daylight savings must have caused all these flat tires!

Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 11-06-23, 01:18 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

I really need more exciting bike routes. I just did 32 miles this Sunday up to the Griffith Observatory! I saw 5 bike mechanicals on my way there as well. Daylight savings must have caused all these flat tires!

you like the climbing...there is plenty of that along with skinny, wiggly streets in the hollywood hills west of griffith park all the way to the 405 freeway. big ups/downs eventually either north or south. easy to get slightly disoriented. difficult to get truly lost.
Old 11-06-23, 11:26 AM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by diphthong
you like the climbing...there is plenty of that along with skinny, wiggly streets in the hollywood hills west of griffith park all the way to the 405 freeway. big ups/downs eventually either north or south. easy to get slightly disoriented. difficult to get truly lost.
I think it's just the general layout of Los Angeles that keeps me riding the same routes. For example, it's mainly all boring flats if I ride towards LA central. Too much traffic on the westside and there's no truly safe way to link up to Mulholland Drive if coming from Franklin Ave. (Franklin is the worst designated "bike" route). Though in general, I do believe the NE region of LA is the best cycling in the city with excellent road climbs, fast long straightaways and a variety of off-road trails all accessible from my front door. I guess I'm just spoiled! lol
Old 11-06-23, 11:39 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Saturday...50mi solo rolling on the Rio Hondo and San Gabriel bike trails. Steady tempo effort for most of it, but my energy level faded in the last 10 miles, and getting home was uncomfortable. I think I was under-fueled. My body is also feeling not completely recovered from last weekend's gravel event.

Sunday...40mi road ride. Started off with a group that I have ridden with a number of times before, doing their typical route in the opposite direction. I got frustrated with the inconsistent pace, the number of stops, and the general weird vibe. When the group stopped for coffee in Glendale (too early in the ride, IMO), one of my good friends and I rolled on by ourselves, traded fast pulls on the LA river trail, and a steady social tempo on the Arroyo trail and up through the Rose Bowl. Despite fueling myself much better, I finished the ride feeling drained.

I need some recovery.

Last edited by Eric F; 11-06-23 at 11:48 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 11-07-23, 12:02 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Saturday...50mi solo rolling on the Rio Hondo and San Gabriel bike trails. Steady tempo effort for most of it, but my energy level faded in the last 10 miles, and getting home was uncomfortable. I think I was under-fueled. My body is also feeling not completely recovered from last weekend's gravel event.

Sunday...40mi road ride. Started off with a group that I have ridden with a number of times before, doing their typical route in the opposite direction. I got frustrated with the inconsistent pace, the number of stops, and the general weird vibe. When the group stopped for coffee in Glendale (too early in the ride, IMO), one of my good friends and I rolled on by ourselves, traded fast pulls on the LA river trail, and a steady social tempo on the Arroyo trail and up through the Rose Bowl. Despite fueling myself much better, I finished the ride feeling drained.

I need some recovery.
sounds like you need a little idyllwild getaway...i know i do. got one planned end of november for another combo devil's slide hike-243/74 ride.

Last edited by diphthong; 11-07-23 at 12:21 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 11-07-23, 12:06 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

33-miler in the metro san diego area with only a few, decent efforts. really nice upper 60's-low 70's day out.
two stops-one for lunch at a fave taco spot and another at pretzels & pints in the north park area. late start but
so gorgeous out, wasn't in a particular rush to return home. that darned (now) lack of sun chased me back to the château.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 11-07-23, 10:58 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by diphthong
sounds like you need a little idyllwild getaway...i know i do. got one planned end of november for another combo devil's slide hike-243/74 ride.
That's a lovely idea. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen for a while.
Old 11-07-23, 02:24 PM
Medium Size Dog

Bikes: 98 Trek 6000 MTB, 70's mutant St. Etienne

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts
Maybe stating the obvious with many varied riding styles. I like my rides to begin at the end of the driveway instead of hauling the bike somewhere. Residential areas in NELA and neighborhoods between Glendale and Pasadena can be as mundane, casual or as challenging as you make them with steep hills or lesser ones made harder with gearing choices. Smooth, pretty clean roads. Plenty of circuits you can make or flats to meander through if you just want to cruise or ride with family. Biggest appeal for me is there's always less traffic and less potential for crazy traffic. If I want mountain views or expanse I still know where they are. YMMV.
Likes For Medium Size Dog:
Old 11-07-23, 03:07 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Medium Size Dog
Maybe stating the obvious with many varied riding styles. I like my rides to begin at the end of the driveway instead of hauling the bike somewhere. Residential areas in NELA and neighborhoods between Glendale and Pasadena can be as mundane, casual or as challenging as you make them with steep hills or lesser ones made harder with gearing choices. Smooth, pretty clean roads. Plenty of circuits you can make or flats to meander through if you just want to cruise or ride with family. Biggest appeal for me is there's always less traffic and less potential for crazy traffic. If I want mountain views or expanse I still know where they are. YMMV.
One thing about the neighborhoods between Glendale and Pasadena - nothing is flat.

Although I tend to start and finish rides from my house (which in that area), there are times when I want to ride some where different, and experience some different scenery. In those cases, I will use my car and haul my bike to start somewhere else. This is especially true for my MTB.
Old 11-07-23, 06:38 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Medium Size Dog
I am a firm believer in that as well. Only issue is I have a 20-25 mile ride just to get to the foot of the San Gabriel Mtns and a 2K-3K worth of climb. It makes for a challenging and long day to do Hwy 39 or GMR. I'll get there eventually with more consistent challenging rides and a proper road bike.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 11-07-23, 10:11 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

That's a lovely idea. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen for a while.
boo!
Likes For diphthong:
Old 11-07-23, 10:42 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

36-miler up highland valley rd. near escondido, adjacent noodling & toodling in ramona, then dropping down the death decent of hwy 78 towards the
safari/wild animal park with a left onto bandy canyon rd and back down highland valley rd to the start. it had been 15+ years since ascending either
highland valley or bandy canyon. not that any kom holders should be fearful by any means but remembered them both (esp bandy canyon) being
more difficult. grateful that my recollections were wrong since both provided plenty of putt-putt moments as it was. great fall weather w/ mixed clouds/sunshine
and temps in the 66f-70f range. a handful of other riders out on either side of midday. tuesday traffic still pretty low on both bandy canyon and highland valley.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10179378994
Likes For diphthong:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.