Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pay to make the bike fit ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pay to make the bike fit ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-24, 04:34 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal

Oh while you are at it think about if you want to change the seat set back.
They make it with 0 or 20 offset, I ordered with 20
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-19-24, 06:58 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Four centimeters too high? Are you certain that's the correct size bike for you? Maybe you need the 54 cm bike for your leg length.

Top tube length is not any better to judge a bike size by than is seat tube length. You need to consider stack height as well. And take all three of those things in consideration. Seat tube length being the least useful, IMO.

If you are getting a larger size than recommended because you are trying to minimize bar drop, then by reducing the seat post length sticking out above the top tube you might be making the bike not able to absorb some of the road bumps and more will be going into your butt to fatigue you on longer rides.

Emonda is a great bike and screams "ride me" more than any other model of Trek to me. But it's also made for a aggressive position. If you don't want that, I'd think you'd be better off with a different model of bike.
Yeah, the odds are stacked against a good fit here, not saying this is what's going on here (thinking it though) but much like women trying on blue jeans, guys want to fit a particular bike, and will exhale and suck their belly button in, and yank on the zipper for all they are worth...
Old 03-19-24, 07:01 AM
wheelreason

Sir Fixie-A-Lot...
Old 03-19-24, 06:02 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
Yeah, the odds are stacked against a good fit here, not saying this is what's going on here (thinking it though) but much like women trying on blue jeans, guys want to fit a particular bike, and will exhale and suck their belly button in, and yank on the zipper for all they are worth...
The OP has said he's an experienced rider and has many bikes. People come in different proportions. The OP is only looking to get a shorter seat mast cap. They only come in two lengths. It's not like they're planning to do bizarre things to the bike to make it fit.

I'm like the OP, tall, but relatively short legs. So, I get the bike that gives me the reach I want, and lower the saddle as needed. I will typically lower the stem to get the proper drop. Keep in mind if you have short legs for your height, then your torso is going to be long for your height. Saddles go up and down easily in most cases, reach not some much. The OP simply has hit the limit of what the longer seat mast cap allows.

I suppose if someone with short legs needed a really aggressive riding position, they might get a size smaller to get a larger drop. And then put on a longer stem to get the needed reach. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 03-20-24, 07:24 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
A bike with a mast that's too tall is the wrong size or wrong model. They list a seat rail height. Don't buy the wrong one.
Old 03-20-24, 07:33 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
A bike with a mast that's too tall is the wrong size or wrong model. They list a seat rail height. Don't buy the wrong one.
This reads like you might not have read some of the early posts, where you would have learned that Trek can provide 2 different size posts, a 175 and a 135. They ship with a 175. If you need the seat lower than can be gotten with the 175, you - the customer, have to buy the $160 135 post. That's really all this thread was about, the need to buy a post to make a bike fit. That was a new wrinkle in my experience of buying bicycles.

Last edited by Steve B.; 03-20-24 at 07:47 AM.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-21-24, 08:52 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
When a person buys a new bike, the salesman should steer the buyer to the right size frame to begin with. Then the salesman should spend at least a minimum amount of time helping the buyer get a proper fit.
Old 03-21-24, 09:27 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
When a person buys a new bike, the salesman should steer the buyer to the right size frame to begin with. Then the salesman should spend at least a minimum amount of time helping the buyer get a proper fit.
Seems like the store or stores the OP went to has been doing that. However the OP has their opinion too and is wanting something a little different. So the OP is soliciting for other opinions to help them decide which way to go.

When you go to those stores that do as you say they should do you exclude your own opinion about how the bike should fit you?
Old 03-21-24, 09:37 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
With the limited frame sizes available today, I won't question Steve B.'s sizing requirements. Sounds like he's been around the block enough to know what fits him (unlike others here who shall remain nameless, but whose initials are LS). Ideally the shop should swap out the seat posts gratis, or at minimum, for a very small fee, say for "restocking." That said, at this level of the game, if swapping isn't an option, then I don't think $160 is outrageous.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-21-24, 09:46 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
I think when a bike is selling at full retail price, a shop is motivated to provide items like this at a discount or no charge, but when the bike is already heavily discounted I don’t blame them for not wanting to shoulder more cost.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 03-23-24, 04:06 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
With the limited frame sizes available today, I won't question Steve B.'s sizing requirements. Sounds like he's been around the block enough to know what fits him (unlike others here who shall remain nameless, but whose initials are LS). Ideally the shop should swap out the seat posts gratis, or at minimum, for a very small fee, say for "restocking." That said, at this level of the game, if swapping isn't an option, then I don't think $160 is outrageous.
". . . limited frame sizes . . . "

The bike Steve B is looking at, the Trek Emonda, comes in eight sizes.
Old 03-23-24, 08:36 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Trakhak
". . . limited frame sizes . . . "

The bike Steve B is looking at, the Trek Emonda, comes in eight sizes.
Right. Limited. Was I unclear?

BITD, you could get a bike in 18 sizes.
Old 03-23-24, 09:36 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts

The good ole days..

Old 03-23-24, 10:45 AM
Trakhak

More accurately, you could buy frames in 18 sizes - but not complete bikes, sold by the bike manufacturer as such. (Except Torpados, briefly.)

The Emonda is sold as a complete bike. Back in the day, the minimum size increments for complete bikes were 1.5 cm (for Cannondale racing bikes, and only in the middle of the size range; 2 cm otherwise) and 2 cm (for a number of higher-end models of various brands). Even then, many companies stuck to 2"/5-mm increments.
Old 03-23-24, 12:02 PM
smd4

More accurately, you could buy frames in 18 sizes - but not complete bikes, sold by the bike manufacturer as such. (Except Torpados, briefly.)

The Emonda is sold as a complete bike. Back in the day, the minimum size increments for complete bikes were 1.5 cm (for Cannondale racing bikes, and only in the middle of the size range; 2 cm otherwise) and 2 cm (for a number of higher-end models of various brands). Even then, many companies stuck to 2"/5-mm increments.
What are you talking about?

Of course you could buy complete bikes from the manufacturer—including pedals, I might add—sized in one centimeter increments
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-23-24, 12:11 PM
Trakhak

What are you talking about?

Of course you could buy complete bikes from the manufacturer—including pedals, I might add—sized in one centimeter increments
Which brands of bikes were sold in 1-cm frame increments?
Old 03-23-24, 12:36 PM
smd4

The Cinelli Supercorsa, the Masi Gran Criterium, the Colnago Master; the Basso Ascot; the Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra…
Old 03-23-24, 12:56 PM
Trakhak

The Cinelli Supercorsa, the Masi Gran Criterium, the Colnago Master; the Basso Ascot; the Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra…
Thanks. Shows what I know. We carried Italian framesets and the complete Bianchi line, but I had no idea that the companies you listed sold those models as complete bikes in 1-cm increments. Don't know how I missed that.
Old 03-23-24, 02:02 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The good ole days..

For any of the 19 sizes, from Merlin, you could then pick your trim level for a complete. This is how it should still be IMO. Have final assembly of frame with component group done at the distributors or even in the LBS.
This is just the road double choices, there's another page outlining the road triple options (which were 'limited' to DA, Ultegra or Campy Record)

Old 03-27-24, 11:04 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
If the bike is PERFECT otherwise, I'd probably pay the extra $160.
If not, find a bike that fits better stock or doesn't charge extra to fit properly.
Alternately, can you find the post used somewhere, like ebay or FaceBook Marketplace?

To me, there's something about a Trek... they get the details right and have fair pricing. Good quality throughout. ...but there are other brands like this too, ex. Specialized.
Old 03-27-24, 11:20 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
How does this apply to the OP, who knows the size he needs, and chose it. Because of his body proportions, he simply needed a shorter seat post, and because of the bike's design, he could not cut down the one it came with. In other words, the salesman did nothing wrong, and the OP chose the correct size for his needs.
Old 03-27-24, 11:24 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I'm am potentially buying a new Trek Emonda road bike, it's a very good deal at an otherwise nice local shop. A quickie test ride tells me the bike fits perfectly in terms of top tube length and stem. That's dead on the same as my other road bikes. Problem develops in that Trek ships this size 56 with a proprietary 175mm carbon seat post, which puts the seat about 4 cm too high for my use. It goes no lower. Shop and Trek tells me they make a shorter post that would likely put the post pretty much where I need the seat, and Trek charges $160 for the shorter post.

My initial attitude is Trek should just allow a free post swap to get the bike to fit the customer. This is another reason I hate proprietary crap like this

If I choose to pony up the $160, what am I supposed to do with the longer post ?, can't imagine I will recoup my cost by selling on e-bay.

Thoughts appreciated.
I realize this might not be helpful, but one of my kids got the same bike in the same size, and they swapped the seat mast for free.

It is worth asking, since it will be a new take-off.
Old 03-27-24, 11:38 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Another way of looking at it (assuming they won't swap): Would the bike be a good deal if it was $160 more? If so, just suck it up, stop worrying about it, and sell the other one (or keep it) at your leisure. I assume Long Island is like where I live, in that you can't get out of a grocery store for under $160.
Old 03-27-24, 12:03 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Would the bike be a good deal if it was $160 more?
See below:

Originally Posted by Steve B.
[I] am tempted to just cough up the $160 as I am saving a lot more on the discount.
Old 03-27-24, 12:13 PM
wheelreason

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I assume Long Island is like where I live, in that you can't get out of a grocery store for under $160.
If I get a couple of different flavored cream cheeses and some lox, I can't get out of the bagel shop for under $160, bakers dozen or not...
Likes For wheelreason:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.