Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Overlap of genre

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-24, 08:54 AM
GreenMtnCycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Overlap of genre

Hello,

I currently have a carbon cx bike and an aluminum hardtail that I also set up rigid from time to time. Recently, the cx broke and it has been an issue getting parts. I am toting the idea of selling it. I am thinking at replacing with a steel build. But with the hardtail, that I sometimes run rigid, I am having a problem justifying it. I see a lot of overlap. I had the cx bike due to racing CX in the past and no longer. I do not plan on racing gravel and only participate in events with the intention for riding. For what it is worth I have a carbon road bike as that is my first love. My question: talk me in to buying a steel gravel frameset or out of buying one.

Thanks!
Likes For GreenMtnCycles:
Old 03-26-24, 09:03 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
I'm guessing you are single?
Old 03-26-24, 09:09 AM
GreenMtnCycles

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I'm guessing you are single?

nay nay we both share the love of riding.
Likes For GreenMtnCycles:
Old 03-26-24, 09:18 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMtnCycles
Hello,

I currently have a carbon cx bike and an aluminum hardtail that I also set up rigid from time to time. Recently, the cx broke and it has been an issue getting parts. I am toting the idea of selling it. I am thinking at replacing with a steel build. But with the hardtail, that I sometimes run rigid, I am having a problem justifying it. I see a lot of overlap. I had the cx bike due to racing CX in the past and no longer. I do not plan on racing gravel and only participate in events with the intention for riding. For what it is worth I have a carbon road bike as that is my first love. My question: talk me in to buying a steel gravel frameset or out of buying one.

Thanks!
None of us know your financial circumstances or your riding mix. If cost is no object, then sure, get another bike even if it is mostly going to sit unused. If you're trying to justify it on a "value" basis, I'm not hearing that you really need a bike for that specific type of ride when your MTB seems to fill the bill when locked out. That said, we also don't know anything about the MTB and how well suited it is for the "CX role." You are the only one who knows these things.
Old 03-26-24, 09:23 AM
GreenMtnCycles

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
None of us know your financial circumstances or your riding mix. If cost is no object, then sure, get another bike even if it is mostly going to sit unused. If you're trying to justify it on a "value" basis, I'm not hearing that you really need a bike for that specific type of ride when your MTB seems to fill the bill when locked out. That said, we also don't know anything about the MTB and how well suited it is for the "CX role." You are the only one who knows these things.
Fair point on the budget. I am just cheap when it comes to these things. The Checkpoint ALR 5 looks good at 2k. But, I am having issues justifying that when the HT with a rigid fork basically meets the reqs. In the original you would of noticed I am no longer racing cx.

Last edited by GreenMtnCycles; 03-26-24 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-26-24, 09:33 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Fair point on the budget. I am just cheap when it comes to these things. The Checkpoint ALR 5 looks good at 2k. But, I am having issues justifying that when the HT with a rigid fork basically meets the reqs. In the original you would of noticed I am no longer racing cx.
You answered your own question here.

These sorts of vague "make a personal decision for me (who you know nothing about)" questions are rarely a good idea. If you can't justify the purchase, other people won't be able to do that work for you.
Old 03-26-24, 10:11 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Ok,

1) you love bikes
2) you know the rule is N+1
I should not have to go farther, but

Gravel bike is a very practical solution overall, depending on which one you pick you can handle roads, gravel, trails, bike packing, commutting
In full disclosure....I really like steel (I don't hate aluminum or carbon, but like steel)
Good steel frames are smooth, ride well, look good, are durable

not sure what your budget is but here are a bunch of steel gravel that cover a range of looks and features some are complete bikes and some are frames

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/straggler
https://www.somafab.com/archives/pro...ble-cross-disc
https://www.blackcatbicycles.com/molino
https://sklarbikes.com/collections/b...supersomething
https://blackmtncycles.com/product-c.../monstercross/

you know you want one....just go for it

of course another option is custom
this is not a "gravel bike" but does fit 32mm tires and I do take it on some gravel (and because there are not enough pics of bike in the general thread)
Dave Kirk custom (look into what he call a Montana Road bike)

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-26-24, 11:09 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Would you eat your favorite food exclusively?
Bikes are amazingly tolerant and don't get jealous if you have more than one.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 03-26-24, 12:33 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
So you raced a carbon cross bike and are riding a carbon road bike, but for gravel a frankenbike or an aluminum gravel bike, is fine.

Not my decision, but if budget is really not an issue, buy a bike that fits in the same category and your old cx and road bike. You already know what your cross and mtb lack. For someone who used to race, I find it hard to believe that there isn't any pull to put the hammer down at times.

The funny thing about life is you never know where it will take you. If it is not a burden, settling for a bike because you are cheap may just end up just being a $2k expense if you decide to upgrade. The problem is whether that upgrade is an all day adventure bike, or a front of the pack gravel bike.

John
Old 03-26-24, 01:30 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
If you're riding mostly or exclusively dirt miles then the HT is probably fine. If you are doing significant road miles in addition to some dirt on your routes then the gravel bike makes sense.
Old 03-26-24, 07:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Get a titanium gravel bike like say a Salsa Fargo Ti or Chumba Yaupon Ti or Moots Routt ESC (or similar) and you can fit MTB tires with drop bars. Or you can go real crazy and get a Bearclaw Tomak which is a drop bar titanium fat bike or the more reasonable Beaux Jaxon which is a plus sized drop bar bike.
Old 03-27-24, 02:03 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Hello,

Thanks!
I don't think a hardtail front suspension MTB overlaps with a gravel bike very much at all.
With the MTB, you've got this VERY un-aerodynamic riding position and tires with big fat knobbies.
With the road bike, you've got something light and aero, but cannot really handle any offroad; even on crushed gravel, it's going to want to sink in.

By adding a steel gravel bike, you get:
  • A different frame material with a different feel
  • Something more rugged than the road bike that can handle any kind of unpaved road, unless it's an absolute mudhole.
  • Most of the aerodynamic riding posture of the road bike with different hand positioning options
  • Something that can carry some luggage on the frame
  • Something that you won't feel like you have to wear cycling kit to ride
  • A perfect commuter
  • Tires that soak up shocks
  • A lower bottom bracket than your old CX for a more comfortable ride
I was looking hard at the Surly Straggler to get the steel angle and the beautiful lugged fork, but decided to throw in two more complimentary features on my road bike: belt drive and IGH. (Priority Apollo 11) In retrospect, I'm not sure I made the right choice, as the lower pedaling efficiency is more of a penalty than I'd bargained for. (I'm only a few rides in, though)

Likes For Smaug1:
Old 03-27-24, 02:06 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Something you might also consider to compliment the road & MTB is an eBike. There are all different styles. Maybe an urban commuter like the Aventon Level.2.

I love mine:
https://ebikesforum.com/threads/aven...w-thread.3764/
Old 03-27-24, 04:13 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Just like kitchen knives:
(1) The best (prep) chefs can almost always make do with just a single "go to" knife; but
(2) Having a handful of different knives make most jobs easier and more enjoyable; and
(3) No one really "needs" a knife from each and every single sub-specialty, due to the overlap between them.
Old 03-27-24, 04:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
(1) The best (prep) chefs can almost always make do with just a single "go to" knife; but
(2) Having a handful of different knives make most jobs easier and more enjoyable; and
(3) No one really "needs" a knife from each and every single sub-specialty, due to the overlap between them.
Also keep your knives sharp and clean. (or keep your bikes tuned and clean)
Old 03-28-24, 08:08 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 633 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I sometimes fillet with a boning knife, and sometimes bone with a fillet knife, and my fav all around chef knife is actually a bread knife. I once loined a tuna with a box cutter.