Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road tires that don't completly suck on gravel?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road tires that don't completly suck on gravel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-17, 04:08 PM
Sunsetman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road tires that don't completely suck on gravel?

Hi. Just got a 2013 Spesh Roubaix. I think it will take a 28c.

Are there any fast road tires that could see some gravel road time?

I was thinking something with a slick midsection and a file sections on the sides of that, or a full file tread.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sunsetman; 07-04-17 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-04-17, 04:21 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
What sort of gravel?

If you're on hardpack and pebbly stuff, tread pattern won't really save you; there's just not much for tread to claw into. Run tubeless, use low pressures, and hope for the best. High-performance road tires if that's adequate, maybe something like Gravelkings if your gravel merits toughened sidewalls (Which seems to often be the case with skinny gravel tires, since they need extreme tire drop to achieve a reasonable ride; this flattens them out and exposes the sidewalls more to the riding surface).

If things get goopier or muddy, that's where the tread starts to get critical. But unfortunately there aren't many options in 28mm... CXish tires can be reasonable, but tend to be in the 30s.

Last edited by HTupolev; 07-04-17 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-04-17, 04:55 PM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
28c is going to be rough on anything other than hardpack, even with file tread.

I have exposures (34c) on my Domane, and the side knobby bits won't do a damn thing in loose or deep pebbly gravel. Or sand, come to think of it. They do roll nice on pavement, though, as the center is smooth.
Old 07-04-17, 04:59 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Bontrager CX0 for tubeless or I think they have a tube version too...fast tire.
Old 07-04-17, 05:45 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
How rough is the gravel trail you are riding? I went off tarmac through a popular hiking and cycling trail through a park with 25mm racing tires on the way home, it was only maybe 2 miles long, not long, but it was OK. So I would expect a nice 28mm tubeless tire should do fine on gravel if it's not really rough. I would look at some tubeless Schwalbe tires.
Old 07-04-17, 07:37 PM
Sunsetman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys!

I'm imagining hardpack, dirt roads in California near Paso Robles. I won't go anywhere crazy, I just want to make the option more doable with something better than a slick.

Last edited by Sunsetman; 07-04-17 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-04-17, 07:40 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunsetman
Thanks guys!

I'm imagining hardpack. I won't go anywhere crazy, I just want to make the option more doable with something better than a slick.
In that case, I think some tough all season or endurance tire should work.

I would get 28mm Kenda Kryterium Endurance. I ride the Kountach Endurance which are the lighter version and I haven't had any issues. And I have taken them off tarmac during my rides without problems, the Kryterium's are more durable.

Here is a great review of the Kenda's flat protection and reliability. https://easternslopes.com/2012/03/25/...p-you-rolling/

Last edited by zymphad; 07-04-17 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-04-17, 09:18 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Bontrager AW3
Old 07-05-17, 06:16 AM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, I've been places where I wondered if my 2.1" tires would be enough. If you keep it reasonable (hardpack and well-manicured cyclepaths) then I think most anything will do. I'd suggest some puncture protection, so the AW3, gravelking, or exposure is where I'd go. I've ridden plenty of gravel on AW2's (not exactly by choice) in 32c and they were fine. The aw2 non-tubeless is pretty cheap, too.

Sand and deep gravel is where you need thicker meat, and I have no idea how much you've giving up by going with 28c, but if that's all it will take, that's all it will take.
Old 07-05-17, 06:25 AM
motosonic

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Re-Fuse | Maxxis Tires USA
Old 07-05-17, 06:44 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
A slick will be fine on hardpacked dirt if it is not wet.

The Re-Fuse is a nice tire and so is the Schwalbe G-One Allaround but neither come in 28. The OP mentioned that as a limitation.

-Tim-
Old 07-05-17, 03:38 PM
cellery

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
IMO just run some tubeless 28c road tires at low pressures until the gravel bug bites you hard and you decide you need N+1.

The file tread you see on narrow tires isn't doing much, if anything. There needs to be appreciable space between knobbies, or spacious channels in the tire for there to be any room for the contact patch to deflect around and dig into loose surfaces. On hard pack this makes almost no difference.

As others have indicated - and I agree - riding gravel will be somewhat uncomfortable on 28c tires, depending on the actual conditions. You cannot achieve decent tire drop for suspension, which is where the lion's share of the damping of bone jarring bumps and washboard comes into play. Tubeless will certainly help though.

Last edited by cellery; 07-05-17 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-05-17, 04:17 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 275 Posts
file tread panaracer gravelkings in 28C. I've been using them the past 2 years. mostly for San Diego's BWR (Belgian Waffle ride) 140miles with about 45miles on dirt, sand, rocks, pea/thumb sized gravel over DG. Mixed fire road, and single track.

$40 on amazon prime
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 07-05-17, 04:32 PM
MagicHour

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
+1 Great tires, the 700x28 GK handle mixed surfaces really well.

Originally Posted by jsigone
file tread panaracer gravelkings in 28C. I've been using them the past 2 years. mostly for San Diego's BWR (Belgian Waffle ride) 140miles with about 45miles on dirt, sand, rocks, pea/thumb sized gravel over DG. Mixed fire road, and single track.

$40 on amazon prime
Old 07-05-17, 05:06 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
If it's crushed limestone/hardpack dirt trails...anything works. I went 40 miles on GP4000iis's down a trail last week.
Old 07-06-17, 01:08 AM
Danny01

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For mixed riding the Clement Xplor USH is a good choice. Flat and firm treads in the middle for going fast, and softer, pointer tread on the sides for cornering on loose surfaces.
Old 07-06-17, 08:12 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
A standard road tire will work fine on smooth hardpack. In general, I've found file treads or even heavier treads don't improve traction over slicks. Also, in loose gravel, you've got to take it easy in the corners anyway. Side knobs aren't much of a help in loose stuff. Personally, I'd just get some good 28mm slicks, preferably tubeless.
Old 07-06-17, 11:48 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motosonic

+1. I used to live on a dirt road and they handled it pretty well. As others mentioned, there's only so much a 28 can do, so I was more focused on durability and that's where the Re-Fuse shines. More race-oriented tires got cut up a lot easier.
Old 07-06-17, 04:43 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'd go for Continental Cyclocross Speed or Schwalbe G Ones if my bike could handle 'em. I don't see any similar file tread pattern in 700x28 though. Those are mostly 700x30 to x35.

I ride 700x42 Conti Speed Rides on my hybridized mountain bike for gravel. Great tires. The Cyclocross Speed are essentially the same tire but narrower -- 700x35 nominal, probably a bit narrower as the 700x42 Speed Rides are closer to 700x38. The file tread is great -- the side knobbies only matter on grass, not gravel.

The G Ones look good too, but still not narrow enough for my road bike.

Recently I've ridden my 700x23 Vittoria Zaffiros on hardpack gravel with soft sand fill and chunky gravel over blacktop and chipseal. It was only slightly better than horrible. The 700x23s were okay on most of our MUP's hardpack gravel, but in places a construction contractor used powdery sand to fill the ruts they'd created in mud during a rain. That was awful -- the front wheel plowed and bucked wildly. I kept my speed way down, around 12 mph. Usually I can blast across that stuff on the Conti Speed Rides.

Yesterday a familiar rural route was inexplicably strewn with chunky gravel over blacktop and chipseal. Presumably the contractor slopped down a segment of chipseal, then just left the chunky gravel strewn around for others to deal with. It's gonna get someone hurt or killed, especially the construction contractor trucks that drive way too fast in that area. I usually ride that segment around 20 mph but slowed down to 10 mph yesterday. It's impossible to see the loose gravel against the identically colored stuff embedded in the chipseal, so it's treacherous.

But I'd still ride in on my hybrid with the Conti Speed Rides. Much more comfortable and secure. And they're remarkably durable considering the tread feels so soft, and neither the tread nor sidewalls feel particularly thick. Presumably the Cyclocross Speeds are similar.

And run 'em at lower pressure.
Old 07-07-17, 04:45 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
On my cross bike, I have the Specialized Roubaix Pro tires in 32mm.
They handle it all (except mud). I did A LOT of research before deciding on them.
Old 07-07-17, 10:50 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 288 Posts
I rode these at the Eroica ride up in Paso and 60% of the ride was on dirt/gravel:

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...-chinook-pass/

They performed very well...
Old 07-10-17, 11:41 AM
cderalow

Bikes: 2012 GT Transeo 3 2014 Cannondale CAAD 10 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've been running my conti gp4000ii's on the C&O Canal Towpath down here near DC. It's compacted crushed limestone for the most part.

I run 25c on my CAAD10. It's not a super comfortable ride, but it's no worse than chipseal or really rough pavement.

Old 07-16-17, 07:33 PM
Sunsetman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cderalow
i've been running my conti gp4000ii's on the C&O Canal Towpath down here near DC. It's compacted crushed limestone for the most part.

I run 25c on my CAAD10. It's not a super comfortable ride, but it's no worse than chipseal or really rough pavement.

Thanks! I was wondering about the Grand Prix 4000S II. Got a good review on the rolling resistance website and has very low rolling resistance. Not a whole lot of tread, but more than some.

I wish the Panaracer Gravel King was tested.
Old 07-16-17, 07:52 PM
Sunsetman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deapee
On my cross bike, I have the Specialized Roubaix Pro tires in 32mm.
They handle it all (except mud). I did A LOT of research before deciding on them.
The Roubaix Pro looks very good.
Old 07-16-17, 07:56 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I have cut every road tire on I have tried on dirt...even tubeless. None flatted but it is a matter of time and I do not like riding on dirt with cut tires. The CK0s are flawless and fast and grip way better when it is loose, and are a lot more comfy. I did just pick up some Clement Strada LGGs in 25 that have a reputation for toughness. I'll use them as my winter tire on the Tarmac. They do feel pretty firm so I assume the tread rubber is stiffer/tougher.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.