Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New bike day

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New bike day

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-18, 03:36 PM
harrisonk

Bikes: Pinarello Gan RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New bike day

I'm a relatively new member. I raced for several years but haven't touched a bike in nearly 10 years. I just picked up a new bike to get back into it--a 2017 Pinarello Gan RS! This is a very big difference from my twenty year old aluminum Guru'Classic. I'm looking forward to getting back into shape. Currently, the bike weighs 16.9 lbs but I hope to get it down to less than 16. I'm planning on building it very slowly (as I'm a full-time law student with a limited budget). First up is either a Garmin 520+ (which should be coming out within the next week or two) or a Wahoo Bolt. Then I'm going to get a DuraAce cassette and chain, carbon handlebars, and Ti Look Keo Blade 2 pedals. After that I'll focus on wheels, but the Fulcrum 5s are fine for the time being.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

EDIT: This is my old bike:

Last edited by harrisonk; 06-02-18 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-02-18, 04:23 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I wouldn't spend money on a Dura Ace crank until you wear that one out. The difference in weight will be less than a water bottle (or 1/5 my daily weight fluctuations). Ride the hell out of it and make sure it fits, and if you get upgradeitis, start with the tires, then maybe the wheels. Carbon bars might be a significant comfort improvement, but again for weight weenie reasons alone not a compelling upgrade.
Old 06-03-18, 07:14 PM
harrisonk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion! I picked up a Garmin Edge 820 today (didn't want to wait for the 520 plus) and I'm looking into wheels now. Does anyone have any experience with Hunt wheels? They seem like a great value. I'm thinking either the Hunt 36 Carbon Wide Aero (1417 grams) or the Hunt 3650 Carbon Wide Aero (1477 grams).

I'm looking forward to updating this thread with a ride report/review ounce I can get outside this weekend.
Old 06-05-18, 05:10 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I would skip all of those upgrades because... well, they're not really upgrades. Chains and cassettes are consumable. Get the bars if you really have to but I'd get fanchy schmancy wheels for that baby. here's some nice ones on sale: https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...jor=13&minor=1

And just because, here's my Gan S - 2017 model I picked up on closeout in January. They ran out of my size in RS, not that I mind the savings.

But mainly just ride the heck out of that thing - it's ready to go as-is.
Old 06-05-18, 05:15 PM
harrisonk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I would skip all of those upgrades because... well, they're not really upgrades. Chains and cassettes are consumable. Get the bars if you really have to but I'd get fanchy schmancy wheels for that baby. here's some nice ones on sale: https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...jor=13&minor=1

And just because, here's my Gan S - 2017 model I picked up on closeout in January. They ran out of my size in RS, not that I mind the savings.

Really like your bike. I wish mine was a similar color. I think you're right--I'm going to skip everything and focus on wheels. The Reynolds you posted look nice. I'm looking for an aero (36-46mm) carbon clincher under 1450 grams that's $2,000 or less. I'll update once I find something.
Old 06-06-18, 03:40 AM
Boerd

Bikes: Moots Vamoots RSL 2018, Passoni Titanio 2020

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by harrisonk
Really like your bike. I wish mine was a similar color. I think you're right--I'm going to skip everything and focus on wheels. The Reynolds you posted look nice. I'm looking for an aero (36-46mm) carbon clincher under 1450 grams that's $2,000 or less. I'll update once I find something.
Check out Mavic Cosmic Pro SL UST (msrp 1799$), they are slightly heavier than you wanted (1490 vs 1450) but very close:
https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/cosmic-...html#1028=3283
I ordered these wheels on my next bike (a Moots RSL)

Last edited by Boerd; 06-06-18 at 03:44 AM.
Old 06-06-18, 06:25 AM
eabeaj

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion! I picked up a Garmin Edge 820 today (didn't want to wait for the 520 plus) and I'm looking into wheels now. Does anyone have any experience with Hunt wheels? They seem like a great value. I'm thinking either the Hunt 36 Carbon Wide Aero (1417 grams) or the Hunt 3650 Carbon Wide Aero (1477 grams).

I'm looking forward to updating this thread with a ride report/review ounce I can get outside this weekend.
This is kind of a useless reply, but I just put on a new set of Hunt Race Aero Wide alloy wheels last night. Haven't ridden them yet, but I've heard only great things (mainly, of course, from my several cyclist friends in the UK) -- except that they sometimes arrive needing a bit of a touchup in terms of tension and truing (the hand-completed quality assurance card notwithstanding); according to my LBS my rear wheel was perfect but they tweaked the front slightly.
Old 06-06-18, 06:51 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Boerd
Check out Mavic Cosmic Pro SL UST (msrp 1799$), they are slightly heavier than you wanted (1490 vs 1450) but very close:
https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/cosmic-...html#1028=3283
I ordered these wheels on my next bike (a Moots RSL)
Just be aware that Mavic says that their UST wheels may not play nicely with non-UST tubeless tires, so you're locked in to their limited tire line-up if you want to roll tubeless.
Old 06-06-18, 07:13 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

That’s a very nice bike. Love the black and white color scheme. Glad to see that you’re now doing cycling a la Italiana.

BTW, your advice about wheels is spot on.

See you in Watopia!
Old 06-06-18, 07:14 AM
harrisonk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eabeaj
This is kind of a useless reply, but I just put on a new set of Hunt Race Aero Wide alloy wheels last night. Haven't ridden them yet, but I've heard only great things (mainly, of course, from my several cyclist friends in the UK) -- except that they sometimes arrive needing a bit of a touchup in terms of tension and truing (the hand-completed quality assurance card notwithstanding); according to my LBS my rear wheel was perfect but they tweaked the front slightly.
I've been looking into the Hunt wheels. They seem like a fantastic value. I'm thinking about the 3650 aero or the 36 aero.
Old 06-06-18, 04:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Limited budget but swapping out perfectly good cassette and chain?

everyone has their passion, but going from 16.9 to 16 seems like a money pit just to drop less than a pound. Diminishing returns and whatnot.

cool fork design though.
Old 06-06-18, 04:37 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Suggest this wheel builder. https://sparkwheelworks.com/home
Old 06-06-18, 07:14 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
The others have given good advice; don't worry about the weight of the bike, just ride it until something needs replacing. By then, you'll know if spending a pile of cash for a tiny weight loss is worth it.

Shimano 105 is so good these days and so close to Ultegra in a number of areas that going for Dura Ace makes sense only if you are a serious racer or just have plenty of money to burn.

Good wheels and good tires are the way to go for "best bang for the buck" upgrade on the bike. IMHO
Old 06-17-18, 02:52 PM
harrisonk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took everyone's advice and put 50mm carbon wheels on today.

Before (Fulcrum Racing 5):

After (Bontrager Aeolus Pro 5):

Big difference in appearance. Didn't get to ride the new wheels yet as my shoes snapped 3 miles into my ride.

I'm going to be lowering my stem 1 spacer every month while my body adjusts. Once fully lowered I will cut the tube. I hate the current stack.

Next up (in order): Berk composites saddle; look keo blade ti peddles; carbon stem/bar (hopefully integrated).
Old 08-03-18, 10:24 PM
harrisonk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's an updated picture. Additions include Berk Lupina saddle, black lizard skin tape, lowered stem and cut steerer tube. Not seen is Wahoo Kickr Snap and Zwift subscription. Up next is a power meter (after the winter) and integrated handlebars/stem.

Old 08-04-18, 08:26 AM
zoolzoo

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
damn dude that looks good....you have been a busy bee
Old 08-04-18, 09:41 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Sexy bike!!!
Old 08-04-18, 11:12 AM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Dang! You got shocks... pegs... LUCKY!
You ever taken off any sweet jumps?

JK awesome bike ride the heck out of it!

Old 08-04-18, 11:12 AM
CerveloJoe

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful bike. Italian bikes just have a certain sexiness. The Bontrager wheels look really good too.
Old 08-05-18, 12:46 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I'll say what everyone is thinking

Trek wheels on a Pina?

Old 08-05-18, 01:30 AM
harrisonk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Trek wheels on a Pina?

you are very right. I don’t like the idea of the trek wheels on a pina either. My plan is to use these wheels through the winter and then buy Enves. I don’t even really like the Shimano on a pina either. In my opinion, pinas should be full campy. If I ever build an F10 it’ll have full campy record and bora ultras (but I need a lot more money before doing that).
Old 08-05-18, 04:11 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts

you are very right. I don’t like the idea of the trek wheels on a pina either. My plan is to use these wheels through the winter and then buy Enves. I don’t even really like the Shimano on a pina either. In my opinion, pinas should be full campy. If I ever build an F10 it’ll have full campy record and bora ultras (but I need a lot more money before doing that).
The bike looks nice. But really it is a Chinese frame and I don't see anything "wrong" with using whatever wheels, groupset etc.
Even if Pinarello was still made in Italy it still wouldn't matter to me.
I have Shimano on my Colnago and do not wish for Campagnolo.