Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Adapting vintage brake levers to modern handlebars?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-20, 08:24 AM
sortieavelo

Bikes: A-D Superleicht; Colnago CX-1; Cervélo Soloist; 1985 Trek 460; 1973 Crescent Pepita 320.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Hi,

I have older Campagnolo levers coming off Cinelli bars (26.4) to big for me from a 1988 Basso Loto I picked up this summer. Replacing old quill stem with threadless stem. Stem diameter is 31.8, so I am getting handlebars that size.

Is there anyway to adapt 26.4 brake levers to 31.8 or can anyone recommend a new set of levers that do fit 31.8...

thanks!!
Old 08-08-20, 08:45 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by sortieavelo
Hi,

I have older Campagnolo levers coming off Cinelli bars (26.4) to big for me from a 1988 Basso Loto I picked up this summer. Replacing old quill stem with threadless stem. Stem diameter is 31.8, so I am getting handlebars that size.

Is there anyway to adapt 26.4 brake levers to 31.8 or can anyone recommend a new set of levers that do fit 31.8...

thanks!!
The handlebar diameter refers to the clamp at the stem. It’s not the over all diameter of the handlebar. The bars reduce in size within about 25mm on either side of the clamp to 24mm. Your brake levers should fit on any road bar.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-08-20, 08:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by sortieavelo
Hi,

thanks!!

The part you mount the brake levers is not the center bulge, that is what you are focusing on erroneously,
, the rest of a drop bar remains the same diameter.. 15/16"

Old 08-08-20, 08:55 AM
sortieavelo

Bikes: A-D Superleicht; Colnago CX-1; Cervélo Soloist; 1985 Trek 460; 1973 Crescent Pepita 320.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The handlebar diameter refers to the clamp at the stem. It’s not the over all diameter of the handlebar. The bars reduce in size within about 25mm on either side of the clamp to 24mm. Your brake levers should fit on any road bar.

ahhhh! Thank you!!!