Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do I need to use a dust cap?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do I need to use a dust cap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-24, 09:34 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I asked if it has ever happened, and you told me what it would be like if it did happen. So far, the answer is no, it hasn't happened on a bike.

Cars go faster and farther, so I use valve caps there.

When I was a bike shop mechanic, I used valve caps only because customers think the job isn't done unless the caps are there. I believe they don't help anything at all. Of course, they don't hurt anything, either except, as @79pmooney points out, they are extra work.
You didn't read it well, or I didn't word it well. I HAVE seen it happen, and to me. Am I super worried about it on a bicycle? No, not really, but with a Schrader valve a cap is a very good idea. It is more an issue if you ride off road in muddy or sandy conditions.

I have had it happen recently on my Ural motorcycle. I loosened the valve core to let the air run through it then retightened, which seemed to have worked, but I still may have to replace it. It's ridden off road occasionally, and I had a lot of mud and gritty dirt all over it. It had a bad cap. I have also had it happen on my old mountain bike.

Keep in mind, the cap is not just for dirt, moisture can cause corrosion which can be bad for the valve as well.

Last edited by phughes; 03-26-24 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-26-24, 10:05 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
I asked if it has ever happened, and you told me what it would be like if it did happen. So far, the answer is no, it hasn't happened on a bike.

Cars go faster and farther, so I use valve caps there.

When I was a bike shop mechanic, I used valve caps only because customers think the job isn't done unless the caps are there. I believe they don't help anything at all. Of course, they don't hurt anything, either except, as @79pmooney points out, they are extra work.
The other issue I have is I do not want to get that dirt into my good air gauges. I have a couple good, expensive gauges and they can be easily ruined by getting dirt into them.

Last edited by phughes; 03-26-24 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-31-24, 05:47 AM
Alex Reed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thank y'all for the advice
Old 03-31-24, 06:48 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Oy vey.

Again, that's hypothetical.

I see I'm not succeeding at asking a question clearly.

Has anyone seen any of this happen on a bicycle?

Please answer the question I ask, not the one you want to answer. If you use words such as could, would, or should, you're not doing it right.
Well I don’t have any capless schrader valves so no. But being a mechanical engineer and just looking at the Schrader valve design is enough to know that it would not work well if bunged up with dirt. It’s a bit like knowing that hitting yourself on the head with a hammer would hurt.

Similarly looking at the Presta valve design, it is obvious that it is less likely to be a problem without a dust cap.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-31-24, 07:56 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
When I was a bike shop mechanic, I used valve caps only because customers think the job isn't done unless the caps are there. I believe they don't help anything at all.
Aesthetically they help a great deal IMHO. A presta stem looks better without the cap and a Shrader valve looks shabby.

Old 03-31-24, 05:51 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
I use dust caps because my bikes look "unfinished" with exposed stem threads.
Here's my BMX with a set 45ACP spent casings for caps. Happens to be my favourite HG cal.....

Likes For Speedway2: