Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

One of our own was hit Friday Night

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

One of our own was hit Friday Night

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-12, 02:41 PM
dnuzzomueller
Banned.

Bikes: something

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE: I finally got to see Jim today. There were some complications with infections so Jim is back in the Hospital again. He is fine though aside from significant pain and will be heading to rehab shortly. Jim has also had trouble with the Hospital's Wifi so he has not been able to keep up with much, he has noted that talk radio has kept him company but he has fantasies of spending alot more time here during his recovery. He appreciates all the well wishing and thanks everyone for their kind words.
Old 06-20-12, 05:10 PM
gear

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Hope you feel better Jim.
Old 06-21-12, 09:13 PM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dnuzzomueller
UPDATE: I finally got to see Jim today. There were some complications with infections so Jim is back in the Hospital again. He is fine though aside from significant pain and will be heading to rehab shortly. Jim has also had trouble with the Hospital's Wifi so he has not been able to keep up with much, he has noted that talk radio has kept him company but he has fantasies of spending alot more time here during his recovery. He appreciates all the well wishing and thanks everyone for their kind words.
Thanks for the update. I have been checking here regularly for news of Jim's recovery. I am disappointed to hear of his setback due to the infection, but trust he'll work diligently in his rehab. Have at it, Jim!
Old 07-09-12, 08:56 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Dear fellow cycling commuters,*

This my first opportunity to correspond with the Forums since my accident June 1 and I am grateful for all the posts to this thread wishing me well. In particular I want to thank dnuezzomueller for his opening post, and also mtalinm, both for their *gracious subsequent comments, and welcome and enjoyable hospital visits.

My basic injuries are fractures of the sacrum requiring orthopedic pinning and a soft tissue gluteal wound requiring three surgical procedures. I left the acute care hospital after about four weeks and this is my first full week in a rehab hospital, and I may be discharged from the rehab hospital this week. Then I'll be recovering at home.*

Besides*not suffering a severe neurologic trauma I have some fortunate circumstances that are helping the recovery process:
-great and compassionate medial care here in Boston, and a private room in rehab
-close-by supportive family (my wife is a nurse), friends, and workplace
-access to high tech materials like an iPad and speech recognition to give me activities throughout the day.

So while the accident was a bad thing, I can really say it's not been horrible. My future plans for cycling are unclear, but think a reasonable goal is riding *a stationary cycle for the rest of the year to recoup some fitness. I can commute to work by subway and train. One current intermediate goal is to allow me to sit comfortably at a keyboard for long periods since my job requires I sit at desk and keyboard.

Finally, I've avoided thinking much about person, who hit me, but two trusted lawyer friends have offered to help me resolve those issues. So while I'm not cycling for *a while, reading and posting to the Forums continues as an enjoyable daily activity.

Sincerely

Jim from Boston
Old 07-09-12, 08:58 AM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hooray! I'm so glad you're back with us on the forums, and on the road to recovery.
Old 07-09-12, 08:59 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Old 07-09-12, 09:03 AM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to hear from you. A stationary bike sounds like a reasonable goal given your injuries.
Old 07-09-12, 09:17 AM
ckaspar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome back man!
Old 07-09-12, 09:59 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Welcome back, Jim! Heal well.
Old 07-09-12, 10:28 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Awesome! Glad to hear things are looking up for you. I bet you'll be back on the road just in time for the big winter snowstorms.
Old 07-09-12, 10:42 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Glad to hear you're doing so well. Keep up the good work and please keep us informed about your recovery.
Old 07-09-12, 11:45 AM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Jim, what a relief to read your post! Thank you for getting back to us and please keep us updated with your progress and healing. I'm in NYC these days and if I'm back in Boston soon would love to pop in for a visit- I'll PM you if that looks like a possibility. In the meantime, continue to heal well. Just for fun you could watch the Tour de France for a little bike motivation. And if you're thinking about a stationary bike watch for ads for the high tech Le Tour stationary trainer- major high tech comes to the indoor trainer!

Wishing you all the best!
Old 07-09-12, 12:21 PM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Jim, I'm sooo glad to see you post. You sound like you're in pretty good spirits given the circumstances. I hope your rehab goes well and that you don't suffer any long term effects. Please keep in touch and let us know how your recovery goes.
Old 07-09-12, 01:24 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Sounds like a long road ahead still. I'm sure I speak for the whole forum when I say we'll be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-09-12, 01:25 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Jim: I am glad to see you post. Though we do not know each other in person, you have taught me so much about commuting since I started.
Old 07-09-12, 03:27 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jim, where are you rehabbing - Spaulding or some other center? I'll try to drop by on the way home one day
Old 07-09-12, 03:44 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by mtalinm
Jim, where are you rehabbing - Spaulding or some other center? I'll try to drop by on the way home one day
Thanks for your reply, mtalinm. Spaulding in West Roxbury until this Thursday AM, 7/12 (barring unforeseen circumstances).
Old 07-09-12, 03:47 PM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
You can't keep a good man down!
Old 07-09-12, 04:18 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Thanks for your reply, mtalinm. Spaulding in West Roxbury until this Thursday AM, 7/12 (barring unforeseen circumstances).
right on (one of) my way(s) home. will try to stop by tmw, though a bit under the weather so might not ride after all
Old 08-13-12, 05:29 PM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Jim,
I've only recently pulled my head out of the sand and learned of your accident. You have a great number of forum fans and I'd like to add my name to your list. I hope you are continuing to recover and look forward to your contributions and wisdom anytime and new cycling adventures soon.
Best Wishes,
John (Sherbornpeddler)
Old 08-13-12, 06:42 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
Jim,
I've only recently pulled my head out of the sand and learned of your accident. You have a great number of forum fans and I'd like to add my name to your list. I hope you are continuing to recover and look forward to your contributions and wisdom anytime and new cycling adventures soon.
Best Wishes,
John (Sherbornpeddler)
Hi John,

Thanks for your gracious note. I always read your posts whenever I encounter them, and I sincerely enjoy the Metro Boston thread you started on the Northeast Regional Forum. You really brought together nicely a group of friendly local cyclists who have become active correspondents. I have occasionally cited you as one of the best writers on Bikeforums, with your erudite and witty style. (He once called me "James de Boston"---I wish I had thought of that. )

My plans for future cycling are unclear; it might depend on when I get my orthopedic hardware removed, still months away. I continue to read and (rarely) post to the Forums. Just this week though, I was thinking about trying a Hubways Share Bike since we have station in Kenmore Square. Otherwise I am walking a couple miles a day, with a cane for distances, and getting around by Subway and Commuter Rail.

Sincerely,

Jim from Boston
Old 08-13-12, 06:48 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Get well soon!

BTW, lots of non-injured people don't walk two miles a day (by choice), so you're doing great!
Old 08-14-12, 06:27 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by waynesworld
Get well soon!

BTW, lots of non-injured people don't walk two miles a day (by choice), so you're doing great!
Thanks for the note. The two mile-walks are a Physical Therapy prescription. As a cyclist I was always goal (mileage) or destination-oriented. Similarly, the walks are easiest when they are directed, for example to get the newspaper, or travel to outpatient PT. I'm lucky that I live in a lively residential/light commercial/college/entertainment area called Kenmore Square in Boston, known as one of "America's most walkable cities," with easy access to the subway system known as the (T). Also it's been a gorgeous summer with inviting weather outdoors.
Old 08-14-12, 08:11 AM
SteamingAlong

Bikes: 2011 Steamroller; 1998 Cannondale F-400; 1981 Motobecane Jubilee Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm glad to hear that you are doing better Jim. You gave me the best tips on riding in and out of Boston to and from Norwood.

I just biked home from Boston a couple of weeks ago and wound up riding route 1 most of the way home rather than 1A. It was after midnight and the road was suprisingly barren. I only saw maybe four cars in 32 miles of riding.
Old 08-16-12, 07:26 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by SteamingAlong
I'm glad to hear that you are doing better Jim. You gave me the best tips on riding in and out of Boston to and from Norwood.

I just biked home from Boston a couple of weeks ago and wound up riding route 1 most of the way home rather than 1A. It was after midnight and the road was suprisingly barren. I only saw maybe four cars in 32 miles of riding.
Howdy Neighbor,

Thanks for the note. A post-midnight ride from Boston to Attleboro sounds intriguing. I' m sure you had good lights.

I rode Rte 1 frequently on the VFW Parkway, with a nice bike lane, then from the heavy commercial segment starting at Rte 109 to the Dedham rotary where I picked up Washington St (Rte 1A). It was always early in the AM in the reverse commuter direction and I was comfortable. On a snow day it was the only way to go since as a major thoroughfare, it was well-plowed as soon as the the snow began. I know Rte 1 mostly from driving as far south as Foxboro.

Whereabouts around Norwood and Boston do you ride? One of the joys of cycling for me is reading maps, finding new routes and learning the geography of this crazily-mapped area. I have referred to myself as a "cartographile."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-16-12 at 07:33 AM.