Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Glove recommendations for very cold hands

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Glove recommendations for very cold hands

Old 10-11-05, 01:42 PM
chuckfox
'possum killer

Bikes: mountain bike (Litespeed Pisgah), touring bike (Giant Frankenbike), tandem (Burley Samba), fixie (Raleigh Rush Hour)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
The lobster claw gloves are fantastic. I bought a pair of Salsa branded ones last winter at my LBS. Your fingers can buddy up and keep each other warm. The coldest day I rode last winter was -5 F actual and they were fine!
Old 10-16-05, 04:56 PM
VermontRides

Bikes: Custom build commuter; Eisentraut Limited, Surly cross-check,Surly Pacer, Specialized Rockhopper Expert, Luis Ocana, C-dale Tandem & that's just today

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My solution to cold hands is two parts
1) replace aluminum brakes levers with resin (ie Campy Mirage Ergo shifters)
2) use CliMitts on the bars, blocks wind and allows me to wear thinner gloves
check out my bike's webpage to see example:
https://hometown.aol.com/vtwjksr/myhomepage/index.html
Old 10-18-05, 03:47 AM
gear

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Has anyone tried electric glove liners?
Old 10-18-05, 09:06 AM
lws

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will second (third, fourth, whatever) the recommendation for lobster claw mitts. They are a little bit clumsy, which unnerves me in some of the more technical bits of my winter riding, but they are very warm. So warm that I rarely wear them.

I also bought a pair of heavy fleece mountaineering mittens and a pair of long windproof overmitts, after finding the lobsterclaws did get cold at around 15F or below. But my winters aren't cold and dry enough to have used them more than once.
Old 10-18-05, 09:47 AM
peripatetic

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have occasional bouts of Reynaud's as well. The OP's right about it not being worth going to the doctor. Medication should be a last line of treatment for any physiological issue, after less invasive and non-chemical means have been exhausted. No matter what you want to believe ALL medicine has side effects. A persons hands get cold, so you put them on blood thinners? That's extreme, and it will definitely have side effects, even beyond alcohol-related ones. For example, suppose you're on blood thinners, cycling in the winter cold, and you're in a crash and start bleeding profusely. Not necessarily a good situation, esp. when you're worried about potential hypothermia. I'm pretty sure that will effectively shorten your survival time...all for warmer hands? No thanks. I've been going with Polypro liners under windproof gloves, and they help a lot. You might look to get one of those squeeze balls to exercise your hands in down time. Increasing your muscle strength there should help a good deal with circulation (unless you happen to have some arthritis, as well.)

Good luck, I sympathize.
Old 10-24-05, 06:15 PM
Lieren

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, that's a good idea about a squeeze ball - I'll definately try that. In the meantime, I found some combination glove/mittens (you fold down the mitten to expose your half-gloved fingers) that I'm currently wearing in my office (maintenance promises to turn on the heat one of these days...) but feel very hopeful about for biking, and am about to order some lobster gloves (Sierra Trading Post has them for a very reasonable price right now).
Old 11-01-05, 05:04 AM
John Wilke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like Lobster mitts as well. If it's borderline for those, I'll carry regular gloves in my pocket and switch back and forth. For REAL cold, a full out mitten is unbeatable.

John Wilke
Milwaukee
Old 11-11-05, 01:32 PM
jrennie
Race to train

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always have cold hands and went for a ride this morning at 35deg's with my snowboard gloves on. You loose a little of feel but hands stay nice and toasty
Old 11-11-05, 02:16 PM
geraldatwork

Bikes: 2005 Windsor Kennet, 1982 Raleigh Super Course

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no idea if they will work or not but I just picked up some neoprene gloves in the hunting/outdoor department at the Sports Authority. This is the same material used in wet suits. They were $12 I think and figured I would try them for bike riding and also bought a pair for my son for snow shoveling. I used to use a similiar pair for football in the winter and they were very warm. They have the advantage of being wind and water proof. Because of that I remember that often my hands would sweat a lot.
Old 11-11-05, 02:27 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Grandoe downhill ski gloves. Free if you already bought them for skiing.

Paul
Old 11-11-05, 04:03 PM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
For roughly 40F-60F, I put Mountain Hardwear glove liners under my fingerless cycling gloves. From about 15 to 40F, I use my PI AmFibs. Below that, I plan to use some ski gloves I just bought.
Old 11-11-05, 10:08 PM
cheg

Bikes: 2020 Thompson Randonneur, 2008 Davidson Custom Titanium, 2012 Custom Seven Steel Tandem, 1981 Shogun Touring Bike, 1974 Raleigh International

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have been very happy with Seirus All-Weather gloves. They are not bulky but are very warm.

https://www.rei.com/product/47925781.htm
Old 11-15-05, 11:05 PM
edtrek
RPM: 85. MPH: varies.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best kind of gloves for me -- are not gloves -- but rather a pair of "bullwinkles", I've read on icebike.com that they're also called "pogies". They're blanket-type fabric sewn into L-shaped covers that cover your handlebars and then present a covered channel for your hands. Here's a picture of mine:

I got mine from Madden Mountaineering, they're not shown on their website but if you call them they'll send them to you. With these things on and with lightweight fullfinger gloves, my hands are often too warm in temps above 40F.

These things are my most essential cold weather accessory. I'm told that they come out of the snowmobile community, where they have a similar need to protect their hands from the wind.
Old 11-16-05, 09:03 AM
Walkafire

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...was worried this morning @ 10 degrees I found the Gore Windstopper Gloves are worthless. I wore a pair of Surgical Gloves under these Gore's... yeeeeouch my fingers were BURNING from the cold.

OK... so then I tried putting the Surgical (thicker then most) on the OUTSIDE of the Gore's.... OMG I was riding no-hands with my hands under MY PITS!

Kind of scared me... time to switch to the Heavy stuff....

I know...I know...I know... Tis About Dayum Time huh?

Old 11-16-05, 09:13 AM
CBBaron

Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walkafire
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...was worried this morning @ 10 degrees I found the Gore Windstopper Gloves are worthless. I wore a pair of Surgical Gloves under these Gore's... yeeeeouch my fingers were BURNING from the cold.

OK... so then I tried putting the Surgical (thicker then most) on the OUTSIDE of the Gore's.... OMG I was riding no-hands with my hands under MY PITS!

Kind of scared me... time to switch to the Heavy stuff....

I know...I know...I know... Tis About Dayum Time huh?
Adding a tight layer over your gloves probably made things worse as they compressed the insulating layer. However adding a pair of lightweight windproof lobsterclaws over you Gore's will probably have your hands toasty.
My Nashbar branded lobsters are roomy, windproof and have a thin liner. I wore these with a polypro glove liner below 20 last winter and my hands were almost too warm.
Craig
Old 11-17-05, 05:20 PM
XChosen

Bikes: Specialized hardrock sport 04

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walkafire
I just got these Gore Windstopper Gloves, seem to be working so far for moi.

I use these when the temps have gone below 55 degrees F

Here is an ad from Performance: https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=1141#

Are these good for skiing also. I'd love to have a dual purpose pair.
Old 11-18-05, 06:39 AM
GreyGoat

Bikes: 85 Ross Mt Rainier(for winter road use), 86 Centurion Ironman Master, 92 trek 2300,2005 Iron Horse HollowPoint Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they make heated gloves.. do a search on the net.. im looking at a few now.
https://www.galleria-e.com/cgi-bin/co...product/050101
https://cozywinters.com/shop/zs-hgx.html
Old 11-24-05, 07:23 AM
James H Haury
Hauja

Bikes: not as many but still too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mittens or U.s military surplus overmitts and wool mittens underneath.
Old 01-21-06, 02:48 PM
gogi
Love my bike

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lieren
Hey guys, thanks for the concern! But it's nothing to worry about - my hands go numb from something called raynaud's phenomenon, which is not worth going to the doctor over (just one of those physiological quirks, the treatment is to warm your hands). It's not an uncommon problem, esp. among women. Last winter I'd get to work and run my hands under hot water for a few minutes; this winter I want to layer better!
There are two types of Raynaud's. Primary Raynaud's, which is Raynaud's by itself, and seconday Raynaud's, where it is a symptom of another disease like Scleroderma or Lupus.

I, too, suffer from Raynaud's, and after getting thoroughly sick of it, I finally mentioned it to my doctor. She ran some tests and it was discovered I had secondary Raynaud's as a result of having limited scleroderma. I took medication for a while, but didn't notice much of a difference, so my Dr. and I decided to discontinue it.

Anyone having Raynaud's symptoms should have it checked out, because if it secondary, there may be other things you need to watch out for.

As far as gloves go, I have the Pearl Izumi AmFib gloves. I find them to be extremely warm, but not too bulky. They work well for me.
Old 01-21-06, 08:08 PM
kb0tnv

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I almost got the Pearl Izumi Lobster Claws. At the time REI didn't have them in stock in my size. I ended up getting Johnny Rocket Motor Bike gloves. They are 70 gm. thinsulate and work well but not as well as I think the Pearl Izumi's would have done. I have heard plenty of + reports on the Lobster Claws. Especially the Pearl Izumi brand. I got some pogies for my Christmas present. The brand is called "moose mitts" You can get them here: https://www.trails-edge.com/retail/te...mfbikemits.htm I highly recommend them. They were like $50 plus free shipping ! (Made in the USA) You can just switch the size gloves you need depending on the weather. Some times in the really warm days 40s I am just wearing regular cycling gloves! These puppies really work and if you already have a good selection of gloves you can use these and just switch around.

Keep Cycling!
Old 01-22-06, 10:40 AM
lhaberly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of 2006 Pearl Izumi lobster gloves, and am decidedly unhappy with them. There are 3 problems: First, the thumb is disproportionately short so there is a bad cold spot at the tip. Second, they get soaking wet inside at temperatures above ~25 deg F (and I perspire comparatively little) because they are totally waterproof and the elastic in the wrist (located 2" in front of the velcro strap) is so tight there is no ventillation, which also makes it hard to dry them out between rides. Third, there is no padding in the palm --you might think the insulation would be sufficient for that purpose, but it is not. I do not understand how a company that can market really outstanding stuff (see my review of the Pearl Izumi Trifecta jacket that I recently posted on the "Windproof, breathable outer shell recommendations" thread), can also make marginal stuff that people buy only because of their good name. In fairness, however, I should point out that the British magazine Cycling Plus, whose reviews tend to be on the money, liked the PI lobster gloves (which is why I bought them) --and they are adequately warm down to 10deg F.

While I am at it I might as well comment on my other PI stuff: their AmFib tights and winter shoe covers. I really like the shoe covers, but larger zippers would be nice (they were hard to use until I started to zip them up by ~1/2" before putting them on, and discovered how to tell the right one from the left --you need to position them so the zippers are on the inside of the heel). I have been using their AmFib tights for ~4 years now so am satisfied with them. They keep me warm and dry with nothing under them at 10deg F, but at temperatures from ~25 to 32deg F they get soaked with sweat --the lining on the front (where the AmFib cloth is located) sucks it up which is unconfortable but still warm, but the backs, which are a thin, highly breathable material, get both wet and cold.
Old 01-22-06, 09:45 PM
MudSplattered
I'll ride for free

Bikes: Cannondale MTB, K2 Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pogies, man, they ARE THE ANSWER!!! Also known as Moose Mitts, Bullwinkles, CliMitts (this are what I have). I wear a thin winter cycling glove underneath and at 9 degrees today, my hands were Perfectly warm. I could Never get them to stay warm before my Bike Guy gave them to me for Christmas. They are perfect. Fit over the bars, wind proof, water proof, mine are goretex, fleece lined. No heavy bulky mitts to interfere with shifting/braking.

you can spend tons of $ on gloves, but this is a reasonable priced way to go and nothing can beat them.
I totally agree with Edtrek and Vermontrides
Michelle
Old 01-23-06, 03:50 AM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Daily Commute
For roughly 40F-60F, I put Mountain Hardwear glove liners under my fingerless cycling gloves. From about 15 to 40F, I use my PI AmFibs. Below that, I plan to use some ski gloves I just bought.
Correction: As I explained in this thread, I got some Outdoor Research Snowline overmitts to wear over the AmFibs and glove liners. The system worked great just below 10F. I haven't been lucky enough to test them below that.

Last edited by Daily Commute; 01-23-06 at 03:59 AM.
Old 01-23-06, 08:13 PM
iamthetas

Bikes: Devinci Guzzler, 04 Canadian version

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a pair of ski gloves from Walgreens. they are waterproof,windproof, warm, give a decent feeling and at $4 if they get shredded Im not out much like the goretex and such. I only use them for temps below freezing.
I also suggest a circulation and/or neurological(sp?) check. if you use a computer all day it could be carpel tunnel. thats how mine started. mine came from using hand/power tools for 20+ years
Old 01-25-06, 12:18 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Try taking zinc supplements, and getting plenty of potassium (bananas) - my wife has to do this to keep her extremity circulation up, otherwise she can't go to the mailbox without gloves.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.