Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Hardware question on Schwinn Collegiate

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-03-16, 06:26 PM
Awl

Bikes: Schwinn Collegiate, Schwinn LeTour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

A month ago I bought a 1969 Schwinn Collegiate and it's taught me a good amount on cycling from back in those days. I had to adjust the saddle to ride it which was nice (that it actually moved), and it did need a good cleaning. Whilst degreasing the drivetrain I noticed the rear derailleur wheels were smooth, more or less. I'm not sure if they were supposed to be smooth wheels, or cogs like I see on most else things.

Far as the bike goes it's a 5-speed variant, and I think just a base model (not Deluxe nor Sport Collegiate). It's an original Schwinn-approved Huret I think (can't see a model number and not sure it's Huret)?

Guess I was wondering if any one here has the same model and what their rear derailleur is set up like.
Old 10-03-16, 06:35 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Schwinn Lightweight Data Book (Detail 1965-1969)

According to this the original equipment was a Sprint.

The graphic here appears to show the smooth lower jockey wheel (maybe the steel one?)

1969 Schwinn Catalog
Old 10-03-16, 07:12 PM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Awl
...Whilst degreasing the drivetrain I noticed the rear derailleur wheels were smooth, more or less. I'm not sure if they were supposed to be smooth wheels, or cogs like I see on most else things.
The original derailleur on a '69 Collegiate was a Schwinn Approved version of the Huret Allvit, which is what you are describing on your bike. The toothless pulleys were original that year. Besides the branding the main difference between the Schwinn Approved (no number designation was used at the time) and the Allvit was that the Schwinn Approved version had a large barrel cable adjuster with a spring (vs. a smaller adjuster with a locknut) to allow for hand adjustment without tools:

Originally Posted by Roll-Monroe-Co
Schwinn Lightweight Data Book (Detail 1965-1969)

According to this the original equipment was a Sprint.
The SLDB is incorrect on this detail, Sprint branded versions of the Allvit were used by Schwinn from 1964 through 1967. The Sprint branding was replaced with Schwinn Approved branding in '68.

The graphic here appears to show the smooth lower jockey wheel (maybe the steel one?)
1969 Schwinn Catalog
The toothless Jockey and Idler pulleys changed from all-steel to quieter plastic rimmed versions on the Schwinn Sprint derailleur in 1966. Only plastic rimmed versions were ever used on the '68 and later Schwinn Approved versions.

Old 10-03-16, 08:38 PM
Awl

Bikes: Schwinn Collegiate, Schwinn LeTour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the info guys! I figured they were originally smooth-wheeled because I couldn't imagine the cogs being that worn down, but if they were cogs I'd have replaced them during the restoration. Cross that off the list!