Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Brake upgrade

Old 02-21-18, 10:28 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Brake upgrade

Hi,

Can anyone recommend any long drop brakes? I want to upgrade my brakes on my road bike which is currently fitted with B'Twin own brand, have been looking at Shimano R650 and R451 and wanted to know if anyone owns either and would there be much of a difference between the 2 other than price??

Also, would just changing the pads make that much of a difference? have been looking at these

Clarks 55mm Caliper Brake Shoe | Chain Reaction Cycles

or am i better off just swapping the calipers??

Thanks
Old 02-21-18, 10:42 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
R650 calipers are 105/Ultegra level. These are going to be fine brakes.

Get two pair of dual compound or salmon colored pads from Koolstop and it will be about as good as it gets.
Old 02-21-18, 05:53 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sw20
Can anyone recommend any long drop brakes?
Before recommending a particular model, I'd strongly suggest measuring the reach you need. Doing so could save you from buying brakes that won't fit. Not all "long reach" brakes have the same reach.

Originally Posted by sw20
Also, would just changing the pads make that much of a difference? have been looking at these
Some companies' OEM pads are pretty awful. Replacing those with decent pads can make a very noticeable difference. If your bike already has dual-pivot calipers, I'd suggest trying decent pads before springing for new calipers. It's a low-cost, low-effort swap and might just be all you need. Kool-Stop pads are a forum fave and I've had good luck with them myself.
Old 02-21-18, 08:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
I throw in support for SwissStop pads. I have the SRAM pads which are made by them and after using them a bunch I love them. Certainly Kool Stop Salmons in wet weather are excellent but I have been quite happy with SwissStop and will probably continue using their stuff. As I am writing this I also realize I am using their disc brake pads on my touring bike and so far so good but I haven't had much riding on that due to work being done on it.

Never really been a Clarks fan it seems like entry level repair stuff mostly and with brake pads really being a cheap way to vastly improve braking I wouldn't want to go with entry level on that when you can have some higher quality stuff for not very much.
Old 02-21-18, 09:45 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
R650 calipers are 105/Ultegra level. These are going to be fine brakes.

Get two pair of dual compound or salmon colored pads from Koolstop and it will be about as good as it gets.
Hmmm

Ok, so those are "long reach" brakes, and should only be used if standard reach calipers aren't enough.

Looking at those brakes, they resemble older series Shimano brakes (6500/6600)?

https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...y-ultegra-spec

With the 6800, Shimano introduced a symmetrical dual pivot. I don't know if that makes much difference, but they are REALLY NICE

So, perhaps they're like Ultegra from a decade or more ago. Unfortunately not the modern 6800/R8000 Ultegra, or corresponding 105 (5800).

As far as pads, I've been really happy with the stock Ultegra 6800 pads, and perhaps they're using those same pads on other brakes.

My latest experiment are some "Lifeline" tri-color shoes from Wiggle.
wiggle.com | LifeLine M955VC V-Brake Shoes and Pads | Rim Brake Pads

So far, they stop well. I've had a couple of screeches, but not too bad, and nothing to worry about. These, of course, are V-Brakes (not specifically intended for road).

Hmmm... their "road" shoes look a lot like the Clark shoes, but half the price.
wiggle.com | LifeLine R470TC Brake Shoes and Pads | Rim Brake Pads

I didn't like the poka-dot pattern on those shoes. I have a fear that they could trap aluminum, sand, and debris, so I avoided those shoes myself.
Old 02-23-18, 07:01 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, will look at upgrading the pads first then as my brakes are dual pivot. Have looked at the Kool Stop and Swissstop, there are so many to choose from can anyone recommend a particular one?? I hardly ever ride in the rain if that helps!?
Old 02-23-18, 07:04 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I prefer black Kool Stop pads.
Old 02-23-18, 07:50 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
On my rim brake bikes I have found it is important for good braking to keep the wheels true, minimize the gap between pad and rim an adjust the brake cable for maximum lever travel.

In addition, cables will stretch initially, and then over time, especially at the end of their life. So if the brakes are initially adjusted when the bike is new, or the cable is replace, they will be a little loose after the cable initially stretches. I like to re-adjust a new cable after a few rides. Then, of course over time the pads wear slightly and the cable stretches so that the gap between the rim and brake slowly increases. Occasional minor adjustments are necessary to maintain a small gap.

And after a few years the cables may start to lengthen as the strands begin to brake and more stress is given to the remaining intact strands.

Also a clean, grease-free, dirt-free rim is a better braking surface. And yes, not all pads are created equally.

Finally the angle of the pads make a difference in braking power. Slight toe-in is recommended by most, and the pad faces should be mostly parallel with the rim.

It's all basic stuff, but it all contributes to better braking, and when everything is working I tend to forget about it.