Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Recommended chain breaker tool?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Recommended chain breaker tool?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-18, 04:05 PM
xetaprime

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPolishJimmy
After breaking 3 wallyworld specials I bought the Avenir Pro Chain Tool:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00165Q930/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000IZEH6K&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0XF7ZMWK9GRNM6K71ADT

It's ok and much more pleasant to use, but i suspect the plastic ratchet will eventually bite it. If that happens I intend to use a regular 1/4" ratchet with it. One thing I do differently now is on basket case project bikes where I have no intention of reusing the chain, I use the angle grinder. Cuts through a rusty old chain like butter and no wear & tear on the good tool.
Dead thread? Hello! Anyway, because of this I bought the Avenir- out of stock everywhere but ebay.

Why? It looks a bit weird and quirky and the above post.

Searching for the best chain breaker as all things unfortunately, is a tough act! And as all things, no matter what it is there always seems to be some flaw! Park Tools(king of the jungle)? Bent pins and on and on! And has been said recently on 'What came in the post for you today?' I've had some drink- example- wine :0 (sorry) And I bought another-

Because it looked vintage and weird with the ‘flappy’ handles and people were buying it (ebay). Took a chance. The Avenir arrived today and it is remarkably heavy. Haven’t tried it yet. Been using lately an integrated breaker on my Topeak Alien but wanted a separate piece.

I have to say it does get tiring googling the 'best' of anything, as everything, seems to have some kind of issue

Last edited by xetaprime; 11-03-18 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-03-18, 04:18 PM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
It seems the contemporary chain breaker/rivet tools don't stand up to those C&V chains. I just broke my relatively new VAR unit opening up a Raleigh Sports chain, and I picked up that one after finding my Park tool kept getting its pins bent. So, what's your chain tool of choice?

TIA,

Neal
I have been using the same Pedro's tool for four years now with no issues.
Old 11-03-18, 04:36 PM
xetaprime

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by greg3rd48
I have been using the same Pedro's tool for four years now with no issues.
This is what I was talking about:

A review on Amazon: Pedro's Pro Chain Tool Bicyle Chain Breaker
October 27, 2010
Verified Purchase
"I am a bike mechanic and I purchased this chain breaker because it looked and sounded good. It seemed like a good deal, but it is deceiving. After a few weeks, the handle to stabilize it broke off, being completely gel, and not even solid to allow for storing the extra pins (great job, designers!). So, I still used it until my second pin broke and was left jammed inside it. I would recommend looking for a sturdier design meant to last."

Why can't all reviews be positive?! At least with the Avenir, no longer available on Amazon, I could ignore non-existent negative reviews because there are no reviews.

Is there a chain breaker out there with 100% positive reviews?

Last edited by xetaprime; 11-03-18 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-03-18, 06:03 PM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 139 Posts
I use and like this one.

Bike Hand Chain Tool