Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What Nishiki is this?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What Nishiki is this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-18, 12:56 PM
chiyama

Bikes: 1983 Nishiki Cresta, 1991 Bianchi Virata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What Nishiki is this?

Looking for an old touring bike to fix up. I'm having a hard time identifying this old Nishiki I found on Craigslist. Is this an Olympic or International? What year?

https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/...740089222.html

Old 11-04-18, 11:41 PM
Nu2Miele

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
did you buy it?

Otherwise a moot point.
Old 11-05-18, 08:54 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Don't get hung up on the model. Judge the bicycle based on the frame and components. Based on the tubing decal it's plain gauge CrMo with hi-tensile stays and forks. . The derailleurs are mismatched with SunTour VX on the rear and a Spirt on the front. Based on the tape/rubber under the down tube clamp,the bar end shift levers are likely an owner addition. The crankset is a swaged Sugino Maxy. The brakes are the ubiquitous Dia-Compe centre-pull. The wheels are large flange, aluminum, quick release hubs laced to aluminum rims.

It's clearly been heavily modified, which makes an Olympic versus an International an irrelevant point, as the frames used the same tubing configuration. Having said that, the details suggest it originally started out as a late 1970s Olympic variant. Regardless, judge it based on the frame and components. Does it suit your needs? Is it a good buy? If so, does it really matter whether it started out as an Olympic or International?
Old 11-05-18, 12:18 PM
chiyama

Bikes: 1983 Nishiki Cresta, 1991 Bianchi Virata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Don't get hung up on the model. Judge the bicycle based on the frame and components. Based on the tubing decal it's plain gauge CrMo with hi-tensile stays and forks. . The derailleurs are mismatched with SunTour VX on the rear and a Spirt on the front. Based on the tape/rubber under the down tube clamp,the bar end shift levers are likely an owner addition. The crankset is a swaged Sugino Maxy. The brakes are the ubiquitous Dia-Compe centre-pull. The wheels are large flange, aluminum, quick release hubs laced to aluminum rims.

It's clearly been heavily modified, which makes an Olympic versus an International an irrelevant point, as the frames used the same tubing configuration. Having said that, the details suggest it originally started out as a late 1970s Olympic variant. Regardless, judge it based on the frame and components. Does it suit your needs? Is it a good buy? If so, does it really matter whether it started out as an Olympic or International?
I ended up passing on it since it wasn't a great fit. But thanks for the info. I love reading about all the different parts and I was looking at old catalog scans to try and find this bike but wasn't having any luck.