Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Changing gears

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Changing gears

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-18, 08:53 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
I don’t know about anyone else, but I feel like we have taken this thread off course and at this point it’s probably not very useful for the OP.
There is an entire sub forum devoted to bike fit issues.
Old 10-29-18, 07:20 AM
DonRocinante

Bikes: 1991 Trek 1200

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
I don’t know about anyone else, but I feel like we have taken this thread off course and at this point it’s probably not very useful for the OP.
There is an entire sub forum devoted to bike fit issues.
Actually, the big reason that I joined this forum was to learn about this sport. And man, I am! I am also learning how passionate people are about so many aspects of it. I started of in another area of this forum asking about the possibility of changing my cassette. What I learned was that for the reasons I wondered about doing this, it would be a better idea to change the front ring. Cool, so I started this post asking what exactly I needed to know in order to make that happen. What I got was insight into a war of opinion that I have seen the other side of in other places than this forum regarding what I have learned is "The War of Standard vs Compact Cranks." As passionate as most people in the Classic & Vintage forum are about not going with compact, I have discovered that the people who are not (for the most part) into classic & vintage bikes, are equally as passionate regarding their logic that compact is the only way to go. This has been an awesome experience for me to have information from both camps.

What is even better is to have this topic branch off into other areas I've wondered about, but didn't have enough information to make any decisions on, such as; pedals, cadence, bike setup, rider positioning & training strategies. I hope I've not left anything out but even if I did, new topics keep coming up that help me in my original reason for wanting to join a bike forum; to learn more about this sport. So a genuine thank to you for pointing out that the conversations have gone off target, duo ruote, but I am exceeding my initial goal, so no problem!
Old 11-02-18, 03:42 PM
DonRocinante

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy to have made the change

After talking to everyone in the “Classic & Vintage” forum & bike shop employees & people that I’ve ridden with, after going to different websites & YouTube channels, & after consulting several different gear calculators & re-examining my initial reasons for considering making a change to my original gears of 53/42 X 13-23, I have decided to make those changes. Today was my first ride with my new setup of 50/39 X 11-24. I’ve also modified my approach to how I ride; I didn’t try to go all out.

The results? Turning the 14 was so much easier to do with a higher cadence. It was the same with the 16 on my new cassette vs the 15. I was surprised by how much easier it felt to turn the 12 & even the eleven vs turning the 13 with a 53. What about performance? Again, I didn’t try to kill it. My cadence was lower & this was my second best overall time for the complete 20 mile route. I only hit 26mph vs trying to go at 33. My average time was also better with less effort & I had my best time in one segment that had always been hard for me. And, my legs don’t feel like they are right like rubber bands ready to pop.

So, some people are happy with standard gearing & happy with their performance. Some people have said that they perform better & with no pain with standard. Cool. Enjoy. And, some people feel the same way about compact. So, whatever works for you is apparently the answer to the question of “will changing my gears one way or the other benefit me?”

Last edited by DonRocinante; 11-02-18 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 11-03-18, 06:05 PM
due ruote 

Cool. Glad it’s working for you. Next up: pedals?
Old 11-03-18, 06:23 PM
DonRocinante

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool. Glad it’s working for you. Next up: pedals?
Wow! Good timing for me to have just come here!

Yes, the subject of pedals is the next area I want to explore. I haven’t heard anyone anywhere I’ve been say that flat pedals are the way to go. I’m this forum I have heard a bit of differing opinions on clips vs clipless, but no one believes that flat pedals are efficient. So I want to explore this area as well, even though I’ve been happy with my performance so far, as a total newbie to cycling. But to know that everyone agrees that my performance will be improved is all I need to hear to want to try it out! By the way, I’m picturing what I’ve heard about clipless pedals, am I right in thinking that as you push with one foot, you actually pull with the other? Like simultaneously? I’m sure you can I may that this is a hard concept for someone like me to grasp, even with the analogy of running a 440 with spikes vs without. That analogy made me realize that they make a difference, I’m just not sure about the actual technique. It’s definitely not like running!
Old 11-06-18, 09:25 AM
DonRocinante

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check this out!

So on my ride today, which is only my second ride after changing my gears because I hurt my back again after moving some furniture, I earned 5 achievements on the five segments of my 20 mile course!! Three of those achievements were my best times & I beat my average speed, my overall time & my fastest speed without even trying!! 35.1mph!! Wow!! And, it’s my birthday today haha!! Happy 50th to me!!
Old 11-06-18, 09:43 AM
due ruote 

Originally Posted by DonRocinante

Wow! Good timing for me to have just come here!

Yes, the subject of pedals is the next area I want to explore. I haven’t heard anyone anywhere I’ve been say that flat pedals are the way to go. I’m this forum I have heard a bit of differing opinions on clips vs clipless, but no one believes that flat pedals are efficient. So I want to explore this area as well, even though I’ve been happy with my performance so far, as a total newbie to cycling. But to know that everyone agrees that my performance will be improved is all I need to hear to want to try it out! By the way, I’m picturing what I’ve heard about clipless pedals, am I right in thinking that as you push with one foot, you actually pull with the other? Like simultaneously? I’m sure you can I may that this is a hard concept for someone like me to grasp, even with the analogy of running a 440 with spikes vs without. That analogy made me realize that they make a difference, I’m just not sure about the actual technique. It’s definitely not like running!
Read what 63rickert posted below about “getting out of your own way.” That made sense to me; I never heard it put quite that way. Keep thinking smooth circles. You don’t want to stomp and you don’t want to bounce. I have also heard it said that when your foot enters the power portion of the cycle, your heel should drop slightly as though you are trying to scrape something off the ball of your foot. I am not a trainer or coach, but that analogy makes sense and feels right to me.
Other things to think about: engage your core, but stay relaxed, especially your shoulders. Keep some bend in your elbows and keep the elbows tucked in line with your hands. And don’t forget to have fun.
Old 11-06-18, 10:23 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Many think that they are pushing one pedal down and pulling the other up. It's a good theory, it's a good idea. If that were so, when those accustomed to riding with cleats got on a flat pedal bike they would lift their feet right off the pedal. The only way to learn to lift your feet, and get out of your own way, is to consciously lift your leg. And then practice that. A lot.

Going all the way back to the 1960s we used to point and laugh at new guys who had built up big calfs. Or even those who had built big legs too quickly. We would point and laugh and say "pedal pressure". All the guys on the inside knew that pedal pressure was bad. After you built those big calfs you had to lift them. The idea was you could apply a lot of power and not use pedal pressure. That sounds crazy in 2018. Instead of pedal pressure we used agility. Light fast action. We were nimble. No one thinks in these terms anymore. It's all raw horsepower now. Wattage. You can still look at racers and see those who pair the big quads with long, drawn calfs. Those are the guys who know how to pedal.
Old 11-06-18, 11:19 AM
DonRocinante

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Read what 63rickert posted below about “getting out of your own way.” That made sense to me; I never heard it put quite that way. Keep thinking smooth circles. You don’t want to stomp and you don’t want to bounce. I have also heard it said that when your foot enters the power portion of the cycle, your heel should drop slightly as though you are trying to scrape something off the ball of your foot. I am not a trainer or coach, but that analogy makes sense and feels right to me.
Other things to think about: engage your core, but stay relaxed, especially your shoulders. Keep some bend in your elbows and keep the elbows tucked in line with your hands. And don’t forget to have fun.
Dude, I really appreciate the advice! I will be paying close attention to all of it when I ride again (hopefully tomorrow!). I will be taking into account your advice while keeping 63rickert’s comments in mind. Man, this forum is awesome! I had a really great ride & I don’t feel like I have before when my philosophy was all about horsepower. You know, I had actually been getting quite frustrated after my rides & thinking’s about how complicated cycling had begun to seem to me. Now, although I know that I still have a lot to learn, I look forward to riding everyday!
Old 11-06-18, 04:28 PM
63rickert

[QUOTE=due ruote;20650741]

That's all good. That's all real basic. The best parts are the word 'think' and the word 'fun'. Never forget to keep thinking about the basics. When it stops being fun the only question is do you quit first or do you get injured.

One of the old descriptions for cycling was 'chess on wheels'. If you follow the TdF it gets kinda clear how chess applies to the game at the level of pro teams in a three week contest. There is still a lot chess in every ride. You can read all the rules for chess in just a few minutes. Takes a good long while to learn to play.
Old 11-06-18, 04:29 PM
63rickert

And one of these years I will figure out how to do block quotes. For some of us the computer is real hard. Thankfully we can do other things.