Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

New Kosciuszko Bridge

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-19, 11:58 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
New Kosciuszko Bridge

I rode this bridge on the first day it opened and the one thing that really irked me and also the bike media was that there was no marked approach. If you've ever been around there below the BQE you also know that the streets are a mess of traffic and trucks. A few days ago though I went again and found that there is now a Brooklyn side approach using Nassau Ave and Apollo St that will then put you on a sidewalk painted green. There was at least one sign, but these signs in general are easily missed. Once on the Queens side there is nothing to guide you but there is a pedestrian overpass that will bring you to the other side of the LIE and back to residential streets. I then rode over to the Pulaski bridge in LIC, and that wasn't a great ride between them. Lots of trucks. But that isn't likely the place anyone is going if they ride over that bridge. For that matter, IS anybody riding over that bridge?
Old 10-06-19, 06:49 AM
ChiroVette

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I rode it yesterday. Glad I did, and I am very sure its a great path, particularly for residents, but it feels very clumsy in terms of entrance and exits on both sides. Plus it empties out into a very industrial area of Queens, and if your intent was to work your way north and/or East in Queens, you have to jump through a few hoops to get around the highways in the area. This is definitely not a complaint, as not all paths, particularly in a city like NY can have lush trees and scenery. I think this bike path makes a great addition as an alternative between Brooklyn/Queens via any of routes from Metropolitan, Cypress, or off the Pulaski. I think because of the highway structures, that its easier to approach the bicycle entrance from the northeast, as @zcaster mentioned, from Nassau then Apollo. To add to that for riders like me, who are coming into Williamsburg NOT from the north of Brooklyn, but from south, the best way to go is to pass the actual entrance, take Varick north under the overpass, then Meeker to Nassau. Or I saw you could cross the BQE with any of the streets or avenues that actually go through, and run parallel to McGuinness, which is one way south, against traffic if your headed north. It can definitely be a little tricky to find the bike path the if its the first time you look.
Old 10-06-19, 06:59 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
On the Queens side you use the pedestrian bridge over the BQE ramps, and then the sidewalk under the LIE and it leaves you on 43rd Ave, which is fine. At that point you are away from the highways and on residential streets. Now that I know the way on the Brooklyn side, using Nassau and Apollo is the only way I'd recommend. Cross under the BQE well away from the bridge as that area is just trucks and beat up streets, especially east of the BQE. I've done it and survived but it just isn't worth it if you have an alternative.

Bottom line for me though is I have no reason to go that way other than to explore the bridge.