Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

WANTED: perfect bike water bottle

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 10-05-19, 06:35 AM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I'm looking for a good bike water bottle.
Features preferred:

1. won't leak
2. freezable with top loose to provide expansion of liquids: freezer won't otherwise damage material
3. top-rack dish-washable
4. mouth wide enough to put ice cubes in
5. no plastic odor
6. 24-32 oz capacity
7. fits bike cage
8. no sharp edges around rims: comfortable to drink out of with top on or top removed: won't cut lips of person drinking
9. fits most cup holders in cars
10. see-thru material to identify contents by color
11. won't warp in hot car interior

12. must be below 10 " tall with lid screwed on loosely to fit in compact freezer compartment standing up

Man was put on the moon 50 years ago. There' no excuse why they can't get a stupid drinking bottle right on earth in 2019.

Have you seen the prices on some of these bottles? $20 on up each!

How about these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...YOG94570&psc=1

HAUSHOF 24 Oz Sport Water Bottle – Tritan, BPA-Free, Leak-Proof, Wide Mouth

Last edited by JonBailey; 10-05-19 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-05-19, 11:31 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 357 Posts
No to the haushof. You can't drink from that while riding without it spilling. There is a reason for the squeeze sip cap.

What's wrong with the ordinary bottles we all use? I have so many bottles that I don't worry about being damaged. I don't think I've bought one in years, they just accumulate from group rides, promotions, etc...
Old 10-05-19, 03:30 PM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
No to the haushof. You can't drink from that while riding without it spilling. There is a reason for the squeeze sip cap.

What's wrong with the ordinary bottles we all use? I have so many bottles that I don't worry about being damaged. I don't think I've bought one in years, they just accumulate from group rides, promotions, etc...
I have many requirements for my bottles: they are not just bike bottle but car bottles, camping bottles, hiking bottles, picnic bottles, gym bottles, travelling and home bottles as well. I want a good universal drinking bottle for every use except hot liquids. For the bike they have to fit the water cage and for the car they also have to fit the cup holders.

They can't be over 10" tall as they won't otherwise fit in my compact freezer compartment standing up. I don't drink while riding anyway. I stop the bicycle then drink.

I ether unscrew the top or use a flip spout cover if the bottle is so equipped. The cheap ones I have been buying at Walmart for years have worked but are no longer available. Eventually the tops leak with age and they are prone to warping in hot car. The bottles won't squeeze when frozen. The chug caps work best for that application. My Walmart bottles of old have been the see-thru hard plastic bottles.]

I fill the bottle 1/3 to one-half full with spring water and freeze it. No messy, space-hogging or time-consuming ice cubes to deal with. Convenience. While travelling or staying at motels I may have to add ice cubes for cool beverages and that's where I need a wide-enough bottle mouth to do so. A wide mouth allows a brush to get inside for scrubbing clean. I mix instant ice tea in them also by shaking the bottles after adding the ingredients.

While freezing my bottles, the caps are screwed on loose to allow for expansion.

Last edited by JonBailey; 10-05-19 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-05-19, 03:53 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
The water bottles we all use are the way they are because they have developed according to rider demand for the perfect bottle over most of a century. 24 oz. standard bottles are less than 10" tall, quite a bit less, which says you haven't even tried a standard bike bottle. Go to your LBS and get a couple. I particularly like Fox bottles because they have a gasket in the lid, not necessary but I think keeps then leakproof longer. I think they're ~$7.00, something like that. Get clear ones if that's what you want. I like them the best for the reason you give.

And learn to drink from your bottle while riding. It takes practice, so start practicing someplace where it's safe to make mistakes.

Standard bike bottles are perfect to take everywhere.
Old 10-05-19, 05:06 PM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
The water bottles we all use are the way they are because they have developed according to rider demand for the perfect bottle over most of a century. 24 oz. standard bottles are less than 10" tall, quite a bit less, which says you haven't even tried a standard bike bottle. Go to your LBS and get a couple. I particularly like Fox bottles because they have a gasket in the lid, not necessary but I think keeps then leakproof longer. I think they're ~$7.00, something like that. Get clear ones if that's what you want. I like them the best for the reason you give.

And learn to drink from your bottle while riding. It takes practice, so start practicing someplace where it's safe to make mistakes.

Standard bike bottles are perfect to take everywhere.
See-thru bottles, especially clear ones, let me easily see how much is in the bottle and what is in the bottle by drink color: ice tea, water, cranberry juice without removing lid. I often have to stop for rests during rides: that's a good time to take a swig. Now, in a car I like to drink (no alcohol, mind you) and drive. That's where the one-handed convenience of a chug spout is handy. The syrup-bottle/dish-soap-style caps are awkward. Rigid bottles can't be squeezed.

Last edited by JonBailey; 10-05-19 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-05-19, 09:41 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Purist bottles have no plastic taste. They are coated with something. Art's cyclery on line is where I got my most recent set. Those were clear. Some are sold at bike shops. They are thin and squeeze easily. The first set I got had baby bottle type nipples on top of the valve. You can leave them open without spilling. Just grab the bottle and take a drink as if it were open.
I think Specialized might be selling them. They are all over the place...…….

Edit - (removed link and put up a better one.

This is a better page…..scroll down

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=purist+water+bottle&hvadid=78477683623545&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_8vzm8ocbxf_e

Last edited by 2manybikes; 10-05-19 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-05-19, 10:11 PM
2manybikes

https://www.amazon.com/Purist-Hydrof...0335054&sr=8-2
Old 10-06-19, 07:20 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by JonBailey
I have many requirements for my bottles: they are not just bike bottle but car bottles, camping bottles, hiking bottles, picnic bottles, gym bottles, travelling and home bottles as well. I want a good universal drinking bottle for every use except hot liquids. For the bike they have to fit the water cage and for the car they also have to fit the cup holders.
That's your problem right there. You want to use the same bottle for everything. Bike bottles stay on the bike. They've been made the same way for at least 50 years that I know and work great for cycling. My wife will use a bike bottle for running since they can be used without stopping. But in a car? Camping? It's a different use with different requirements. My car's cup holders are made to grip soda bottles or rest paper coffee cups, but when I rented a car the last one I had didn't hold the soda bottles and the coffee cup would tip, it drove me crazy. Every car is different, it is the bike industry that has it right with a standard size.
Likes For zacster:
Old 10-06-19, 11:44 AM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
That's your problem right there. You want to use the same bottle for everything. Bike bottles stay on the bike. They've been made the same way for at least 50 years that I know and work great for cycling. My wife will use a bike bottle for running since they can be used without stopping. But in a car? Camping? It's a different use with different requirements. My car's cup holders are made to grip soda bottles or rest paper coffee cups, but when I rented a car the last one I had didn't hold the soda bottles and the coffee cup would tip, it drove me crazy. Every car is different, it is the bike industry that has it right with a standard size.
Can your bike bottles be frozen and still drank from? This works with rigid bottles with some type of chug spout that flips up. The bottom 1/3 of the water is frozen then the bottle is topped off with fluid after taken from the freezer to be used. No monkeying with ice cubes. The cap is left on loose while in the freezer so the bottle won't explode. Many chug spouts can be flipped open with one hand.
Old 10-06-19, 11:51 AM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Not both squeezable and freezable. For that reason and the sharpness of the rim of the bottle, these are getting shipped back tomorrow by me to amazon.com....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B07HJDPKHF

Lousy product, don't buy!

Last edited by JonBailey; 10-06-19 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-06-19, 07:49 PM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by JonBailey
Not both squeezable and freezable. For that reason and the sharpness of the rim of the bottle, these are getting shipped back tomorrow by me to amazon.com....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HJDPKHF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1O28VO2WQQZDA/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07HJDPKHF

Lousy product, don't buy!
Those are not purist bottles. The purist bottles I linked to are like the 6-8 that I have, they are more squeezable than regular bottles. And freezable.

If it doesn't say Purist that's a different bottle. They are not sharp either. I start my long rides with 4 big ones full. A normal ride for me is over 100 miles. I refill all four and drink 7 or 8 bottles worth.. Drank all 8 on a 154 miler. Doing it almost every week, 8 or 10 years The real Purist bottles are the best I Have ever seen. I m might have 35-40 bottles. I tested them all. Lots of vacuum insulated stainless too.

Try a real Purist bottle you will love it. I'm using one right now, did a short ride and had some left over. I think the small size may stand up in the freeze. It's better to fill them half with water and lie them down to get tall half bottle ice. Any frozen full bottle will not squeeze. After a few decades I realized that just plain drinks without ice are better anyway.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 10-06-19 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-06-19, 07:54 PM
2manybikes

Those are $2.65 each. Purist is a lot more.

Try the link I posted again. From that page...…………………....
  • Specialized Purist Hydroflo bottle with a Bike Hugger Logo
  • Hydroflo delivers a tidal wave of water to your mouth.
  • 100-percent recyclable, FDA approved, BPA free and independently tested and approved by SGS.
  • Unique, three-sided shape fits perfectly in your hand for a solid, controlled grip.
  • To deliver a pure water taste, Hydroflo is infused within silicon-dioxide.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 10-06-19 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-12-20, 05:09 PM
southpier

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 40 Posts
is the purist hydroflow the one I want? I can't for the life of me understand why everything in my day becomes so goddamned complicated. jeebus I am so old . . .
Old 03-17-20, 03:40 AM
southpier

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 40 Posts
I ended up getting these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hope they don't suck
Old 03-17-20, 08:05 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I've always used Camelbak Podium bottles. Work well for me. A few oz short on your size requirement, but otherwise they have a pretty ergonomic design and wide mouth opening, etc..........

Sometimes the Phil's Fondo webstore has them cheapo after he runs that fondo each year and they dump off the extras.
Old 03-17-20, 09:05 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I've been using the same trio of Camelbak Podium Big Chill water bottles since I got into cycling. They've been frozen, dropped, dropped and run over, left in the trunk with an inch of Gatorade in them for 3 days, and they still work just fine. I don't need to be able to see through them because my brain still works well enough to remember what I put in. They're water bottles, not cruise missiles, so the level of sophistication required of them is pretty low. Oh, and I freeze my bottles without lids on them, because I don't live on a boat, and have little worries of the liquid flying around while the bottle stands in the freezer.

The OP's list of demands is to me a bit daft, as it can be easily satisfied by just throwing money at it, as most things can. If $20 a pop is too much, then you're in the wrong business.

Lastly, if you find a bottle you can squeeze while it's frozen solid, good job, Hercules.
Old 03-17-20, 09:30 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Another vote for the Purist bottles. The coating inside them helps them stay clean. The Camelbak Podium bottles are good too, they just need cleaning a bit more often. They have a slight edge in flow rate. Both kinda pricey. Both totally worth it.
Old 03-24-20, 12:54 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope

I don't need to be able to see through them because my brain still works well enough to remember what I put in. They're water bottles, not cruise missiles, so the level of sophistication required of them is pretty low.

Lastly, if you find a bottle you can squeeze while it's frozen solid, good job, Hercules
I can't stop laughing.
Old 03-30-20, 10:07 AM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I can't stop laughing.
For about 5 going on 6 months now, I enjoy my HAUSHOF 24 Oz Sport Water Bottle – Tritan, BPA-Free, Leak-Proof, Wide Mouth

They have a removable seal from the cap. I put them in my dishwasher, no problemo, monn! In the freezer, no sweat. I can't say anything bad about them.
They are opaque and see-thru. It's nice to know how much water I'm putting in the bottle before going into the freezer. A cheap dental probe is handy tool for carefully
removing the silicone gasket from the cap without ruining it. The gaskets go into the dishwasher's silverware basket. Top-rack or no-heat dishwasher safe.
The lettering is still crisp on the bottle after dozens of automatic dishwashings.
Old 09-10-20, 09:37 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Polar 24 oz bottle, Camelbak podium chill cover. The Polar comes in clear, and with the Camelbak cover there is no nipple to pull out and push back in - just squeeze to drink. So far, the Polar bottles are the only ones that the podium chill covers fit on. The podium chill is insulated, so it only holds 21 oz, while the polar holds 24 oz.

Last edited by gios; 09-10-20 at 10:22 PM.