Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

WTB 31.8 dual pull triple front derailleur

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-19, 11:50 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts

I'd like to buy a 31.8 dual pull front derailleur in relatively clean condition and decent quality.

It's for a 1992 Trek 950 I am rebuilding. The bike came stock with a bottom pull FD and it routed the cable on a screw that went into the frame. It may originally have had a pulley that has gone MIA. In any case, the spring on the existing FD isn't doing the job with the current set up (it won't go into the little chain ring). I figure I'll clean up the derailleur cable run by going with a top pull FD and a cable stop that will mount to the frame. So I need a used FD to make this work. Most of the current front derailleurs aren't really made for 46/36/26 rings.

So let me know if you have a 31.8 dual pull FD you'd like to sell and for how much.

Old 10-14-19, 01:50 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
I might have an early 90s top pull XTR FD at home, never used. I'll check later.
Old 10-14-19, 02:15 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
I might have an early 90s top pull XTR FD at home, never used. I'll check later.
That's fancier than I need but thanks for looking. I liked your build thread on your Trek 950 with drop bars,

Do you still have that bike? Do you remember (or do you know) if there was a pulley where the front derailleur cable wrapped around (pic 2 in my first post)? I think the problems I'm having with the bottom pull FD would likely disappear if I was able to fit a pulley there but the problem solvers pulley is too large (so are all the pulleys I've found).

I *think* that a top mount FD will give me better shifting since the derailleur cable run will be so much cleaner.

Last edited by bikemig; 10-14-19 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-14-19, 03:41 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
That's fancier than I need but thanks for looking. I liked your build thread on your Trek 950 with drop bars,

Do you still have that bike? Do you remember (or do you know) if there was a pulley where the front derailleur cable wrapped around (pic 2 in my first post)? I think the problems I'm having with the bottom pull FD would likely disappear if I was able to fit a pulley there but the problem solvers pulley is too large (so are all the pulleys I've found).

I *think* that a top mount FD will give me better shifting since the derailleur cable run will be so much cleaner.
I sold the bike about a year and a half ago. I believe it came to me with a somewhat low end top-pull derailleur, which I replaced with a nicer top-pull Deore XT derailleur.

I do still have an early 90s Giant ATX-760 with an FD pulley that I'm not using. I can measure it for you.
Old 10-14-19, 08:09 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
That cable run over the screw makes my behind parts pucker. Ouch!
I'd replace that with a sealed bearing for the cable to run over and a couple of washers to keep it in place.
Old 10-14-19, 08:38 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by rccardr
That cable run over the screw makes my behind parts pucker. Ouch!
I'd replace that with a sealed bearing for the cable to run over and a couple of washers to keep it in place.
Yeah I don't like it either.

A pulley of some sort would likely solve the problem but the spacing between the stays is too narrow for pretty much any cable pulley currently being sold. There may have been a pulley on there originally but it went MIA before I picked up the bike. I could try to mcgyver something like you suggest but I figure it's just easier going with a top pull FD and this will give me a cleaner cable run.
Old 10-15-19, 06:35 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
OK, but if you change your mind let me know. I'm sure I have a couple of miniature sealed bearings that would fit in that space.
Old 10-15-19, 08:00 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by rccardr
OK, but if you change your mind let me know. I'm sure I have a couple of miniature sealed bearings that would fit in that space.
I like the idea of doing this on the cheap! I'll send you a PM.

I think I'm going to have to check out a bearing supply place. There are sealed bearings (and sealed bearings with a pulley sleeve that might do the trick).

The dimensions need to be no larger than 15 mm on the outside and 5 mm on the inside.

This would work for example:

https://www.amazon.com/KML-696-2RS-Double-Bearing-FACTORY/dp/B01N927DOV/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=sealed+bearing+5+x+15mm&qid=1571148521&s=hi&sr=1-6-catcorr

Last edited by bikemig; 10-15-19 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-15-19, 10:23 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
I've got an Alivio and an SLX, both fairly modern (9 speed) and NOS. You'd need a shim for 31.8 but the SLX has one in the box.
Old 10-16-19, 09:03 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
@bikemig, email me. I think I have one or two. I bought them by mistake. One might even be never-used.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-17-19, 08:36 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Not sure if you saw my posts in your other thread, but I am quite certain you have the cable routed incorrectly. The screw in the bottom bracket shell never had a pulley, and was never intended to use as a pulley. The cable housing seats in the cable stop connected to the derailleur, as you have shown it in pictures, but the cable is anchored to the bolt in the BB shell, not to the bolt on the derailleur.

That bolt in the derailleur is only to hold that cable stop on.
My first job, starting in 1990, was at a bike shop that sold Treks, and while I always wondered why they had that unusual set-up (probably to keep the cable clean as it would otherwise run under the BB, and top pull derailleurs weren't common then), but they worked fine when set up properly.
Old 10-17-19, 10:23 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Not sure if you saw my posts in your other thread, but I am quite certain you have the cable routed incorrectly. The screw in the bottom bracket shell never had a pulley, and was never intended to use as a pulley. The cable housing seats in the cable stop connected to the derailleur, as you have shown it in pictures, but the cable is anchored to the bolt in the BB shell, not to the bolt on the derailleur.

That bolt in the derailleur is only to hold that cable stop on.
My first job, starting in 1990, was at a bike shop that sold Treks, and while I always wondered why they had that unusual set-up (probably to keep the cable clean as it would otherwise run under the BB, and top pull derailleurs weren't common then), but they worked fine when set up properly.
Very cool. Thank you @Willfred Laurier. I'll need to try this. The plate on the FD effectively makes this a top pull? Using the bolt on the frame to anchor the cable makes a heck of a lot more sense than routing the damn cable the way I had it. The spring on the FD is a bit weaker than it should be but it likely is strong enough to work like this.
Old 10-21-19, 09:10 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Yeah, +1 on using the BB as the cable anchor. Although they can be very fussy about cable tension, and the length of that piece of housing pushing on the derailleur. Especially with index shifting.

Several of that generation FD actually have a spring tension adjuster as well, look for a screw that can be flipped 180 degrees with a flat head.