Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How many traffic lights do you go through?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How many traffic lights do you go through?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-05, 03:07 AM
pyze-guy
Yup

Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
None, they don't have very many here in India.
Become reality to me
Old 01-25-05, 07:36 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 64 Posts
I counted 11 on my 5 mile (9 km) ride in this morning.

Paul
Old 01-25-05, 08:47 AM
darkmother
Get the stick.

Bikes: 12 Y.O. Litespeed MTB, IRO Jamie Roy fixie, Custom Habanero Ti 'Cross, No name SS MTB, Old school lugged steel track bike (soon)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll see if I get this right, from memory there are 22 lights in my 10 mile commute. I'll count em on the wa home. (That's a lot of lights!)
Old 01-25-05, 09:51 AM
Paul L.

Bikes: Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Paul-how many miles is your commute? Any streets you particularly don't like? I sometimes (not on my commute) find myself on Southern or Broadway, sections of which have narrow curb size lanes, not pleasant at night.
Al
I used to cruise across Mesa and Tempe but work in Chandler now at Chandler Blvd and the I-10. 25 miles one way starting at power and broadway in mesa. I take power down to guadalupe then south on Lindsay and the rest is on Chandler/Williams field. If you know a secret route (maybe like the stonecutters secret tunnel from the simpsons) I would be deeply in your debt! So far the best I have been able to do is switch from using cooper/stapley as a crossover to Lindsay. Lindsay has less traffic lights as it is more rural.

I used to use Broadway all the way when I was in a real rush. Didn't like it but man could I get to work fast when I took it (18 mile commute in 48 minutes). I could time the lights in Tempe. I avoid southern at all costs. Broadway isn't too bad through Mesa. I really liked using the 8th street/Rio Salado Parkway to bypass ASU but that was out of my way even then. I use it when my daughter and I go to the zoo with the trail-a-bike though.
Old 01-25-05, 10:15 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul L.
I used to cruise across Mesa and Tempe but work in Chandler now at Chandler Blvd and the I-10. 25 miles one way starting at power and broadway in mesa. I take power down to guadalupe then south on Lindsay and the rest is on Chandler/Williams field. If you know a secret route (maybe like the stonecutters secret tunnel from the simpsons) I would be deeply in your debt! So far the best I have been able to do is switch from using cooper/stapley as a crossover to Lindsay. Lindsay has less traffic lights as it is more rural.

I used to use Broadway all the way when I was in a real rush. Didn't like it but man could I get to work fast when I took it (18 mile commute in 48 minutes). I could time the lights in Tempe. I avoid southern at all costs. Broadway isn't too bad through Mesa. I really liked using the 8th street/Rio Salado Parkway to bypass ASU but that was out of my way even then. I use it when my daughter and I go to the zoo with the trail-a-bike though.
How is crossing under the 101 on Chandler during rush hour? I've ridden under there a few times to get to a Dr. appt. and had to fight to get a space to take the lane.
I live off of Southern so unfortunately have to ride it to go east or west - parts are OK but some sections have very narrow curbside lanes. There was one time around rush hour I headed from my neighborhood to make a right turn onto Southern. So I wanted to ride on the road and just simply couldn't even get on the road cause traffic was 45mph bumper to bumper. The sidewalk was closed for construction (I would have ridden as last resort) and after standing there waiting for a break in traffic to make a right I headed back home and got in my car. The city widened the sidewalk many years back, they should have widened the curb lane instead.

Al
Old 01-25-05, 11:30 AM
dgk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I'm new here. I must hit 40 or 50 at least. I run any that won't inconvenience someone else, or get me killed. I commute 12 miles from Queens NY into Manhattan. If I waited for them it would take at least another half hour.
Old 01-25-05, 11:53 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

One of the reasons I don't run red lights is because every ride for me is a race and as soon as I start to break 'rules' then I will continue to need to break those rules in order to compete with myself. Then once I am in the mind frame that I need to break those rules to do better than before I will end up taking more risks and put myself at more danger.

Al
Old 01-25-05, 11:54 AM
billh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dfvanden
Last week I counted them on the way home from work. 33. And you can call me a square, but I stop for every one of them if they're red. I enjoy it when other bikers cut lights because it gives me some great incentive to catch them and blow past them a little later on.
Never counted, let me think . . . 10 one way. I stop at each one, if it's red. However, there are many more stop SIGNS, some of which I treat like yield signs.
Old 01-25-05, 12:32 PM
Paul L.

Bikes: Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
How is crossing under the 101 on Chandler during rush hour? I've ridden under there a few times to get to a Dr. appt. and had to fight to get a space to take the lane.
I live off of Southern so unfortunately have to ride it to go east or west - parts are OK but some sections have very narrow curbside lanes. There was one time around rush hour I headed from my neighborhood to make a right turn onto Southern. So I wanted to ride on the road and just simply couldn't even get on the road cause traffic was 45mph bumper to bumper. The sidewalk was closed for construction (I would have ridden as last resort) and after standing there waiting for a break in traffic to make a right I headed back home and got in my car. The city widened the sidewalk many years back, they should have widened the curb lane instead.

Al

I can usually get up to the light without too much of a problem which is always red. After that I just slowly carve out my space as I approach the underpass across the intersection. Cars either slow down behind me or squeeze by if they are smaller vehicles. Wish they would continue bikelanes under the freeways but they don't for some reason. So far noone has given me a problem. I have noticed that I do get a lot more cat calls and other juvenile absurdity in Chandler and Gilbert than I did in Mesa and Tempe. Seems like there are more kids driving cars in those communities too, probably a connection.
Old 01-25-05, 01:14 PM
madhouse

Bikes: '14 Bacchetta Corsa, '93 Ryan Vanguard, Action Bent SWB USS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gojohnnygo.
13 miles one-way 4 lights. The joys of country living.
13 miles one-way, 1 yield and 2 stop signs. In 6 months of part time commuting I actually stopped and put my foot down once!

I made it to work one morning to realize I hadn't used my brakes the entire ride as they were still covered with road grit from the rain the night before.

"The joys of country living"... Indeed!
Old 01-25-05, 02:33 PM
skord
Commuter Nut

Bikes: 05 Kona Jake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's 5 miles if I take the back way, 5 if I take the normal way. Two lights the back way, 6 the normal way. So, i guess, as you can figure, the back way is now the normal way.
Old 01-25-05, 03:02 PM
Gojohnnygo.
Burn-em Upus Icephaltus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is not fair at all! Does cutting thur a stop sign to the right count at 3:00 am, as a red light? I'm just a country boy!
Old 01-25-05, 03:11 PM
Gojohnnygo.
Burn-em Upus Icephaltus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madhouse

"The joys of country living"... Indeed!
I couldn't agree with you more! The peace and quite of the forest!

Last edited by Gojohnnygo.; 01-25-05 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-25-05, 06:21 PM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
31? (Depends.)
Old 01-25-05, 07:50 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 267 Posts
4 mile commute, 8 lights but one of them is always set to flashing yellow on my morning commute. Also it is very rare to hit every light red (or green) usually end up stopping for 2 or 3 reds on an average commute. I always stop on red. The signal on Lilly road only stays green long enough for me to get 1/2 way across the intersection if there is only myself or myself plus a single car waiting at red. The light turns yellow before a car can even get through the signal & if I don't accelerate quickly it is hard to clear the intersection before signal goes back to red again. Thanks df, been meaning to write the city about this. Don
Old 01-25-05, 08:53 PM
Rogerinchrist

Bikes: TREK-520 & 830

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zero.

On the home end of the commute I'd hafta go about a mile longer to hit a light, on the work end I'd have to go clear over to the next town to find a light.

Small Towns USA.
Old 01-27-05, 01:06 PM
jimhens714

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's see:

Straight commute:
7.2 miles one way
2 stop signs
17 traffic lights

Extended commute:
14 miles one way
3 stop signs
22 traffic lights

About 4 of the lights default green to my direction so they aren't red unless tripped from opposing direction. One of the lights senses my steel bike frame and changes for me (left turn). The rest handle a lot of traffic so they cycle red/green regularly.
Old 01-27-05, 09:01 PM
VermontRides

Bikes: Custom build commuter; Eisentraut Limited, Surly cross-check,Surly Pacer, Specialized Rockhopper Expert, Luis Ocana, C-dale Tandem & that's just today

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
13 miles, one way, no lights, 2 stop signs which I only come to a complete put down the foot stop at if there is traffic (about once a month, more often in the winter, ski resort area), depending on road conditions and traffic I may only use my brakes as I turn into work (or into my yard), or sometimes they are engaged for 4 to 5 miles (my route has little flat - it's either up or down).
Old 01-28-05, 12:17 PM
Jessica
cut my gas use in half

Bikes: walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4 if i use lite rail, [which i usually do], I don't know how many when I ride the full 16 miles home... lots... but I obey them unless they are T shaped intersections... if I am on the top of the T, I just look and roll thru.[no way i can delay anyone, and if they hit me they are driving on the sidewalk]
Old 01-28-05, 02:30 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Originally Posted by Jessica
but I obey them unless they are T shaped intersections... if I am on the top of the T, I just look and roll thru.[no way i can delay anyone, and if they hit me they are driving on the sidewalk]
I sometimes do this to in the same situation, but - I know I certainly get a good enough look to see a car coming, but I wonder if I would notice another cyclist who may be somewhat close to the curb. Well I don't wonder too much, I am aware of this and think about it. Just a comment that it can be easy to spot other cars on a rolling right turn, but what about other cyclists and peds, who could be coming from your right.

Al
Old 01-28-05, 03:03 PM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
8 in 1 mile.
Old 01-28-05, 03:49 PM
srf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are many 6 lights in 17 miles since most of it is MUT, but there are several stop signs that no one on the trail stops for.
Old 01-28-05, 07:27 PM
bluejack
Know Your Turf

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commute is not that far, 13 lights in 2.5 miles. At least 4 of these lights are utterly, absolutely useless, and I used to blow the reds. I got stopped by the police twice in a two week period, however, and that made me paranoid.

Frankly, I used to be a better cyclist, as I was alert to *real* threats; now that I am alert to hidden policemen and obscure traffic regulations my best cycling days are behind me. And I stop at all red lights just so I don't have to feel that paranoia.

I do, however, get extremely steamed about how poor the traffic design is here in Seattle. There are some bad lights and boneheaded urban planning like you wouldn't believe. I tried writing a few letters, but that got nowhere. There is some construction near my house and they have police on site during rush hours to provide some extra traffic control. There's this one light which is green for each direction in turn, at about 2.5 minutes per direction. But there are never more than about 5 cars lined up... and NOONE going through the green light. One time I asked the policeman on duty there if he didn't think the light was poorly designed, and what the best way to get something done about it might be. He looked at me like I was nuts. "Whats wrong with the light?" He sits there watching it all day and he doesn't see it's stupid? I give up.
Old 01-29-05, 11:36 PM
OldShacker

Bikes: Cannondale R300, RT1000, Trek1000c, EZ sport cx, EZ Tandem (tuna boat)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to stop at every #@#% light (4 lights) at times because each has a left arrow light and when I commute the last guys that are making the left turn do it just as the light is red for them. Now stop signs, well...
Old 02-02-05, 10:38 PM
gahaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I'm figuring right, 91 lights in roughly 6-7 miles if I stay on regular streets, about 56 if I take Central Park West from 59th-96th St. And only about 14 if I take the bike path between 125th and 34th. I'm very cautious by NYC standards (i.e., always slow/stop at reds to look before crossing, don't weave or track-stand in the middle of busy intersections while waiting for a gap) but even I can't begin to fathom the idea of waiting for reds to change if the box is clear. I know it's different in other cities, so if I ever move I guess I'll have to learn new customs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.