Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I need one bike to do it alll...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I need one bike to do it alll...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-05, 06:43 PM
ddtbuck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just recently moved from a house (the owner sold it) that had a nice garage where I got to tinker with all my bikes. I now live in a one bedroom apt. and have no room for all the bikes. I have only room for one bike. My problem is that I live in an area where I have many biking options. 1/2 a mile away, I have a steep mountian that goes almost straight up forever (along with many other trails in the area including rolling cross country rides). The other way I have a long paved bike trail, and then I have the rest of the San Francisco Bay area to venture. I really enjoy mtb, road and everything in between (including SS and Fixed), but now I have to decide on one all-around ride.

Suggestions?
Old 02-10-05, 06:50 PM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Performance hybrid? Specialized Sirrus, or there's a Trek that looks pretty cool. Light weight yet relatively robust.
Old 02-10-05, 07:04 PM
el twe
crotchety young dude

Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a hybrid...don't like it. You could just go with a shock-less (old Rock Hopper?) MTB - whatever you like.
Old 02-10-05, 07:09 PM
Fugazi Dave
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
'Cross bike, perhaps?
Old 02-10-05, 07:10 PM
LordOpie

Bikes: 2006 custom Walt Works roadie, 2003 Fuji Finest (road), 2002 Giant Iguana (mtb), 1986 BMW K75 (motor)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ddtbuck
I just recently moved from a house (the owner sold it) that had a nice garage where I got to tinker with all my bikes. I now live in a one bedroom apt. and have no room for all the bikes. I have only room for one bike. My problem is that I live in an area where I have many biking options. 1/2 a mile away, I have a steep mountian that goes almost straight up forever (along with many other trails in the area including rolling cross country rides). The other way I have a long paved bike trail, and then I have the rest of the San Francisco Bay area to venture. I really enjoy mtb, road and everything in between (including SS and Fixed), but now I have to decide on one all-around ride.

Suggestions?
Sacriledge! You've got several bikes, but you're getting rid of all but one cuz of your tiny apartment? A real cyclist would sleep standing up and leave room for his rides.

You go now!
Old 02-10-05, 07:47 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Tourbike! Drops,triple-crank,big enough tires for slicks and knobbies,eyelets for racks,great brakes and build tough enough to handle it all.

Old 02-10-05, 07:53 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
Hi,
rent some storage space. Keep one, throw the others in there.
Start looking for a more permanent solution. You might be able to scare up a neighbor, or a new apartment. You can work it out.
Or send me the extra bikes
Old 02-10-05, 08:25 PM
ultra-g
Retired Member

Bikes: Bianchi Pisa, LeMond Poprad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second the Cyclocross suggestion. I was considering a cyclocross bike too... look at the Bianchi Axis, Cannondale Cyclocross or the Lemond Poprad. They're all around $1200.

Originally Posted by Fugazi Dave
'Cross bike, perhaps?
Old 02-10-05, 08:26 PM
PWRDbyTRD
Toyota Racing Dev.

Bikes: 2004 Kona Hoss Dee-Lux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Find the MTB bike you like best and then get a 2nd set of wheels for it...knobbies and slicks...best idea I can come up with.
Old 02-10-05, 08:50 PM
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PWRDbyTRD
Find the MTB bike you like best and then get a 2nd set of wheels for it...knobbies and slicks...best idea I can come up with.
Ya, I was thinking that also. Maybe towards XC style frames. And cyclocross sounds a smart road.
Depends if you mean really offroad, then i'd go xc and 26 inch wheels.

Being a single bike owner -buy custom chain rings for your terrain. I run flat offroad mostly so I run a 38T ring to keep speed.
If I go 'real' mtbing I'll swap out the ring for less teeth. Being in SanFran= a mtn cogset might be a good option for those hills.
Non-suspension ATB can be sub 20 lbs, no need for triples..even doubles!

Or....forget art, decorate the walls with bikes!
I personally like wrenching in the kitchen.
Close to snacks, cold beer and water for a wash up.
Old 02-10-05, 09:08 PM
stumpjumper
Lagomorph Demonicus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
rigid mtb.

My daily commuter (20 miles each way) is an 88 stumpjumper with slicks and drop bars, mountan cassette and a 52/42 shimano 600 crank, racks, fenders, the works.

you could just change some hardware and voila... mtb becomes road bike becomes touring bike, etc.
Old 02-10-05, 09:15 PM
VermontRides

Bikes: Custom build commuter; Eisentraut Limited, Surly cross-check,Surly Pacer, Specialized Rockhopper Expert, Luis Ocana, C-dale Tandem & that's just today

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you really, really have to part with all those bikes, I would suggest a cross-bike, with two or three wheel sets (to quickly change the handling/function of the bike) you could get by on a fast road ride or single- track as long as you weren't trying to keep up with or beat people riding "event" specific bikes. Not all cyclo-cross bikes have the same versatility though so look around a bit. Example: Surly Cross-check, up to 45mm tires, Cannondale, last time I checked barely had clearance for 35mm tires -- Surly is a better "all round" bike frame, as it will be the better mountain bike. The Poprad I recently worked on was nice, better clearance than the C-dale but not as much as a Surly, but the steering was a tad too quick for my liking. Salsa cross bikes had tons of clearance, last time I looked at them and were a lighter steel than the Surly. The Redlines I've worked on recently were nice, better clearance than the C-dale, not as much as Surly; I would consider their handling between the Poprad and the Surly in quickness. The Trek X0-1 that I commuted on and did all our group road rides on was (still is) an awesome all round bike. Couldn't handle 45mm tires, but did 40's fine, very light aluminum frame, good compromise in steering quickness (works well on road and on rutty knarly singletrack). When I sold it (big mistake!) had to get a Surly Crosscheck AND a Surly Pacer to cover it's range. But, if I was looking for just one bike today it would have to have disc brake mounts so that it would have true all season all condition braking, and I'd want horizontal or semi-horizontal rear dropouts so I could easily single-speed/fixie with it. If I set up the geared components using continuous housing from brake/shifter lever to caliper/derailleur and I have a second handlebar/cable setup, it only takes 5 to ten minutes to switch from multispeed bike to single/fixie, that's how I do it on the Cross-check.

Good luck
Old 02-10-05, 09:38 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You should be able to get several bikes in a one-bedroom apartment.

Get rid of the bed and sleeping bag and thermarest. That makes room for at least two more bikes.

If you have Brooks saddles on your bikes use a trainer and get rid of the chairs and sofas. That's room for about 4-5 more bikes.

Are you above ground floor with a balcony? You can hang several more bikes from the railing.
Old 02-10-05, 09:48 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The cannondale badboy ultra seems to do it all. Plus enough clearance to put on cross tires and go mtb'ing.
Also the specialized crossroads xc pro.
Old 02-10-05, 10:08 PM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
bianchi axis.
Old 02-10-05, 10:14 PM
LordOpie

Bikes: 2006 custom Walt Works roadie, 2003 Fuji Finest (road), 2002 Giant Iguana (mtb), 1986 BMW K75 (motor)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's like I don't even know most of y'all any more!

Supcom had it mostly right, but you should sleep on the balcony before putting anything but a beater out there.

Seriously, how can y'all stand by while this guy wants to get rid of his stable?!

If space is tight, for $100 -- the stand, four shorty bars for the other side of the stand and S&H -- and it'll hold FOUR BIKES. I just got it cuz I'm moving and space is tight for me too.

Old 02-10-05, 10:27 PM
PWRDbyTRD
Toyota Racing Dev.

Bikes: 2004 Kona Hoss Dee-Lux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supcom
You should be able to get several bikes in a one-bedroom apartment.

Get rid of the bed and sleeping bag and thermarest. That makes room for at least two more bikes.

If you have Brooks saddles on your bikes use a trainer and get rid of the chairs and sofas. That's room for about 4-5 more bikes.

Are you above ground floor with a balcony? You can hang several more bikes from the railing.
ROFL that's dandy!!
Old 02-11-05, 02:21 AM
ddtbuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want to thank everyone who gave me input. I have to say that I have been motivated to keep some bikes. I guess I just wanted to have an excuse to purchase a new one. One thing I didn't mention is that I have a thing for steel and I have been thinking for a while about the Cross-Check. It seems like the total package. I think for now I will just get my 91 Stumpy up and running again (needs some drivetrain work). This is a much cheaper alternative for now.

I will be selling my Cannondale ST500 (1985 or 86)... classic touring at its finest.

Thanks again for all the different ideas.
Old 02-11-05, 04:15 AM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LordOpie
It's like I don't even know most of y'all any more!

Supcom had it mostly right, but you should sleep on the balcony before putting anything but a beater out there.

Seriously, how can y'all stand by while this guy wants to get rid of his stable?!

If space is tight, for $100 -- the stand, four shorty bars for the other side of the stand and S&H -- and it'll hold FOUR BIKES. I just got it cuz I'm moving and space is tight for me too.

What's the height of that stand? I need to fit another bike my locker with limited head space.
Old 02-24-05, 10:24 PM
el twe
crotchety young dude

Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by el twe
I have a hybrid...don't like it. You could just go with a shock-less (old Rock Hopper?) MTB - whatever you like.
Well, hmm. I was forced into using my hybrid the other day due to brake issues on my roadie, and I now realize that hybrids are great - if you want a comfortable (for short-ish rides) around town bike.
Old 02-25-05, 10:03 AM
madhouse

Bikes: '14 Bacchetta Corsa, '93 Ryan Vanguard, Action Bent SWB USS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to keep 2 bikes in my dorm room... I lofted my bed and parked them underneith. I can't imagine not having the room in a one bedroom apartment... with creative storage techniques.
Old 02-25-05, 10:12 AM
hi565
By-Tor...or the Snow Dog?

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fugazi Dave
'Cross bike, perhaps?

Yah from the description i would definetley reccomend a cyclocross bike.
Old 02-25-05, 10:24 AM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
i live in a small room in manhattan, and have three bikes plus a trainer, parts, extra wheelsets, etc. bikes really don't take up that much room if you stack them or at least lean them close together. however, if you are really keen on getting just one bike, i'd go for a mtn bike with an extra set of wheels, as suggested by several people so far.
Old 02-25-05, 12:35 PM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Find a friend with a house. Rent some room in his basement or garage. Visit often.
Old 02-27-05, 11:38 PM
raverson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
Tourbike! Drops,triple-crank,big enough tires for slicks and knobbies,eyelets for racks,great brakes and build tough enough to handle it all.
That description describes my Jamis Nova to a T. With some slight modification it has become a very capable touring bike. If I only had one bike, I like the idea of a second set of wheels too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.