Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I switched from SPD pedals to platforms on my commuter

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-15, 02:33 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

I've had a difficult time finding waterproof spd shoes that fit comfortably. I have a wide foot. Seems like most bike shoes come in widths that are much to narrow for my feet. I've tried several, and I've returned them each time. There does not seem to be nearly the selection available in waterproof shoes as regular SPD shoes. I've tried the booty thing for several years now. They are cumbersome to put on and off. They tear. They don't last.

I switched to some Wellgo magnesium platforms. I ride in some mid ankle waterproof hiking shoes/boots that I already had. It works just fine. First commute was uneventful. The reason I had SPD's in the first place was to help with my pedal stroke efficiency and I use the same shoes on my road bike. My commuter has been converted to an e-bike... I couldn't care less about pedal stroke efficiency on that bike. I'll save my SPD shoes for riding the road bike.
Old 11-04-15, 04:43 PM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The two (out of three) bikes I ride the most have Wellgo (via DiamondBack branding) platform pedals. Being an experienced mech, I replaced the crappy balls with good ones and greased them well with "Phil" grease. They are large enough for my size 12E (48) shoes and have threaded platform screws that allow me to adjust just how much the pedals engage my shoes.

The only problem is that I tend to let my feet roam a bit and, therefore, must occasionally re-set my foot position; it's a bit of a 'pain'.

SPD (spud) pedals, on the other hand, keep my feet in position (once I adjust the cleats to what that, precisely, is). I fit my SPD pedals when I am going to ride for awhile without stop signs, lights, etc.

The reason I use the platforms almost all the time is simply that I do a lot of stop-and-go riding and they are more convenient.

If I were going on tour --- I would fit and use the SPD pedals and shoes. I'd use my Shimano 420 Click'R pedals which allow for normal shoes on one side and SPDs on the other so I could wear 'normal' shoes as well as dedicated cycling shoes.

Joe
Old 11-05-15, 12:20 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Originally Posted by Joe Minton
The two (out of three) bikes I ride the most have Wellgo (via DiamondBack branding) platform pedals. Being an experienced mech, I replaced the crappy balls with good ones and greased them well with "Phil" grease. They are large enough for my size 12E (48) shoes and have threaded platform screws that allow me to adjust just how much the pedals engage my shoes.

The only problem is that I tend to let my feet roam a bit and, therefore, must occasionally re-set my foot position; it's a bit of a 'pain'.

SPD (spud) pedals, on the other hand, keep my feet in position (once I adjust the cleats to what that, precisely, is). I fit my SPD pedals when I am going to ride for awhile without stop signs, lights, etc.

The reason I use the platforms almost all the time is simply that I do a lot of stop-and-go riding and they are more convenient.

If I were going on tour --- I would fit and use the SPD pedals and shoes. I'd use my Shimano 420 Click'R pedals which allow for normal shoes on one side and SPDs on the other so I could wear 'normal' shoes as well as dedicated cycling shoes.

Joe
I may switch back to the SPD's late next spring (June?) when the rainiest and cold weather has passed. The main reason for switching was keeping my feet dry, warm, and comfortable. I find myself trying to kick my heel outward whenever I come to a stop... habbit from riding SPD's for the last 8 years. I'm making all kinds of adjustments to my commuter bike to keep me riding through the wet winter (converted to e-bike, modified bike for disc brakes.)
Old 11-05-15, 12:46 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
OP, tried SIDI shoes? Pricey but great quality, I do know they have wide sizes. I too commute with flats year round, great for winter foot wear options.
Old 11-05-15, 12:51 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
i've got SPD/platform combo pedals on my main commuter and my winter bike for maximum footwear versatility. some people say they're there worst of both world's, but i love 'em. any shoe, on any bike, locked on when i want to be, unlocked when i don't want to be, it's the world's most perfect pedal style in my opinion.

my road bike only has single sided SPD's, but that bike is exclusively ridden in fair weather, so no real need for footwear versatility there.
Old 11-05-15, 01:00 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by InTheRain
I may switch back to the SPD's late next spring (June?) when the rainiest and cold weather has passed. The main reason for switching was keeping my feet dry, warm, and comfortable. I find myself trying to kick my heel outward whenever I come to a stop... habbit from riding SPD's for the last 8 years. I'm making all kinds of adjustments to my commuter bike to keep me riding through the wet winter (converted to e-bike, modified bike for disc brakes.)
Get some Power Grip straps for those pedals and you can continue to kick out your heels to release.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-05-15, 01:05 PM
InTheRain

Originally Posted by Leebo
OP, tried SIDI shoes? Pricey but great quality, I do know they have wide sizes. I too commute with flats year round, great for winter foot wear options.
Nope, never got to try on SIDI's. Bike shops did not have my size available. And yes, they are expensive. I'm much happier than I thought I would be with the hikers and the platform pedals.
Old 11-05-15, 01:11 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I considered putting the Ergon contoured platform pedals on my commuter which gives a more controlled foot postions but so far I have stuck with Crank Brothers Mallet clipless platforms. I don't have problems fitting SPD shoes and keep sneakers at work.
Old 11-05-15, 01:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I'm Retired , But still dont screw the Spud Pedals on my bikes .. for years ..

the UnLeather Sidi Uses is OK with Wetting and drying out repeatedly.

My winter shoes : LL Bean Rubber Moccasins , they are a slip on , (I dont Go far )

they have higher uppers,greased leather, models, from there .

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-06-15 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-05-15, 01:55 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Do the waterproof hiking boots really keep your feet dry for a long ride in the rain? How does the top seal? (Yes, I'm totally ignorant with regard to hiking boots.)

I use PI shoe covers to keep my feet as dry as I can, but when the rain is steady I just accept that my feet are going to get wet. Thick wool hiker socks and a pair of dry socks to change into at work generally make this OK.
Old 11-05-15, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not use booties?
Old 11-05-15, 03:25 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
i've got SPD/platform combo pedals on my main commuter and my winter bike for maximum footwear versatility. some people say they're there worst of both world's, but i love 'em. any shoe, on any bike, locked on when i want to be, unlocked when i don't want to be, it's the world's most perfect pedal style in my opinion..
I agree. I did that on my commuter/weekend errand/snow and winter weather. It gives me exactly the versatility I needed. Couldn't be better.
Old 11-05-15, 03:26 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Do the waterproof hiking boots really keep your feet dry for a long ride in the rain? How does the top seal? (Yes, I'm totally ignorant with regard to hiking boots.)

I use PI shoe covers to keep my feet as dry as I can, but when the rain is steady I just accept that my feet are going to get wet. Thick wool hiker socks and a pair of dry socks to change into at work generally make this OK.
I pair them with waterproof pants that go over the tops of the boots, water drains over them. Or use some hiking gaiters. Wet feet? Yuk. Gortex boots, waterproof hiking boots, insulated rubber bottom boots for winter, all keep your feet dry. They make waterproof shoe covers, showers pass maybe?
Old 11-05-15, 03:57 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
I pair them with waterproof pants that go over the tops of the boots, water drains over them. Or use some hiking gaiters. Wet feet? Yuk. Gortex boots, waterproof hiking boots, insulated rubber bottom boots for winter, all keep your feet dry. They make waterproof shoe covers, showers pass maybe?
Well, the shoe covers I use are "waterproof" but they have big holes at the top and bottom (for foot and cleat). Eventually the water gets in from somewhere.

My experience with rain pants is that the water invades from the inside (sweat).
Old 11-05-15, 04:49 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
I have been wearing Crocks for wet riding. I wore a pair today in fact. I used the Crocs Swiftwater leather model today. In the Summer they are great. If they get wet, they are dry in a very short time. I wear them without socks on the Summer so your feet don't get soggy. Today though it was cooler. I wore a pair of wool socks. The Crocs actually kept the socks mostly dry today, and wool stays warm even when wet, so I felt fine all day. They stick very nicely to a a pair of pedals like the Wellgos.

Today was the first colder day I tried the Crocs. I was quite pleased with them, although I have used waterproof hiking boots in the past once the weather got cooler. I have gone as far as using hunting boots from Rocky Boots once Winter hits. They are Goretex and insulated with Thinsulate. They worked great once the snow began. For now, into the 50s, the Crocs Swiftwaters with the wool socks will work for me.
Old 11-05-15, 05:33 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
For the dry season I use Shimano SPD campus pedals for their versatility in footwear choices. In the rainy season I use Wellgo pinned platforms with LL Bean Maine hunting shoes that keep my feet warm and dry.
Old 11-05-15, 06:08 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 2,533 Posts
I switched to some Wellgo magnesium platforms.
I recently did the same.

Wellgo magnesium, are they MG2? I been eyeing those on ebay, looks like they can be got for under $25 if you bid carefully. How do you like yours?

Last edited by RubeRad; 11-05-15 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-05-15, 06:40 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Get some Power Grip straps for those pedals and you can continue to kick out your heels to release.
That would be a good idea for winter. I switch to homemade power grips when the snow falls and temps dip below 0f. That way you can wear any kind of boot that you want.
Old 11-05-15, 07:10 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 1983
Why not use booties?
Because most of them don't do very well for every day use. Plus they're kind of a pain.
Old 11-05-15, 07:39 PM
InTheRain

Originally Posted by 1983
Why not use booties?
I have used booties. They do keep my feet dry. However, even with thicker socks, my feet don't stay warm with temps under 45. The booties are not durable. They rip. they wear out. They are a huge hassle to put on and off mostly because they fit so tight I have to be careful not to catch them on the buckle of my bike shoes. I've stretched them too much and had the zipper tear away. I seem to go through a set of booties each season. With thick socks and a wide foot the bike shoes become too tight. These shoes are not intended for cold weather (mesh/breathable uppers.)

I'm finding the hiking boots to be warmer, more adjustable to thicker socks. They are working fine for commuting. I even went on a 35 mile fitness ride this afternoon with them on the touring/commuter/e-bike. They were fine.
Old 11-05-15, 07:49 PM
InTheRain

Originally Posted by RubeRad
I recently did the same.

Wellgo magnesium, are they MG2? I been eyeing those on ebay, looks like they can be got for under $25 if you bid carefully. How do you like yours?
Mine are MG-1. I paid $70 at the LBS. I checked on Amazon. They were available for $38. The guy at the bike shop educated me on the different options. I'm not upset about paying more at the LBS. Any problems, and they will take them back, no questions asked. I don't mind supporting the shop. They have done plenty of quick brake and derailleur adjustments for me and never charged me anything.

So far, I like the pedals. The platform is nice and wide and feels really solid. The "pins" are keeping my foot in place while on the pedal, no slipping. I don't have a lot of miles on them yet (56 over the last two days) but they seem to be working fine.
Old 11-06-15, 10:05 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Splats are another option: MUSA Splats (pair) They probably won't keep you 100 percent dry, but they are quick on and off and will protect you from the majority of the rain.
Old 11-06-15, 10:45 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Plastic grocery bags also work great. Stick your shoe in, tear the handles into straps, and tie them around your ankles. They are thin enough you can clip in through them no problem, when you reach your destination, throw them away.
Old 11-06-15, 10:49 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Mine are MG-1.
Yeah, those look good, looking around some more, in addition to MG-2 I've seen also MG-3, MG-5, MG-6, MG-8(spd), although on the wellgo website they only have information for MG-1.

Anybody know are the numbers meant to be ascending/descending in quality/price? Or are they just different?
Old 11-09-15, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used booties. They do keep my feet dry. However, even with thicker socks, my feet don't stay warm with temps under 45. The booties are not durable. They rip. they wear out. They are a huge hassle to put on and off mostly because they fit so tight I have to be careful not to catch them on the buckle of my bike shoes. I've stretched them too much and had the zipper tear away. I seem to go through a set of booties each season. With thick socks and a wide foot the bike shoes become too tight. These shoes are not intended for cold weather (mesh/breathable uppers.)

I'm finding the hiking boots to be warmer, more adjustable to thicker socks. They are working fine for commuting. I even went on a 35 mile fitness ride this afternoon with them on the touring/commuter/e-bike. They were fine.
Sounds like you need the right size and material. They won't wear out so fast if you take them off before walking around. Use 3-5mm neoprene. Heck of a lot easier than changing out pedals, though admittedly that is not difficult.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.