Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

BMC SLR01 - 56 or 58? Or not at all? With my measurements

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-16, 09:44 PM
portland376

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking at purchasing a BMC SLR01 Team Machine.....unfortunately I don't have a local dealer to actually get out and test ride the two sizes back to back. From what I can tell, I seem to be between the 56 and 58. Following are my measurements from the competitive cyclist fit calculator using the "competitive fit" as well as a link to the BMC website with geometry numbers at the bottom of the page. It should be noted the BMC comes with a setback seat post. Any fit experts with advice on frame size or whether it would be compatible? I've driven myself crazy trying to wrap my head around the numbers. Thank you in advance for any help/advice offered.

Link to BMC page with geometry details on bottom of page:
teammachine SLR01 Dura Ace Di2 ? road ? BMC Switzerland

My Measurements (inches) per Competitive Cyclist Fit Calculator
Bike Fit Calculator | Find Your Bike Size | Competitive Cyclist

Inseam: 34.25

Trunk: 25.25

Forearm: 14

Arm: 26.75

Thigh: 23.5

Lower Leg: 22

Sternal Notch: 58.75

Total Body Height: 71.75
Fit style
The Competitive Fit
Top Tube Length55.7 - 56.1 Cm
Seat Tube Range CC56.3 - 56.8 Cm
Seat Tube Range CT58.1 - 58.6 Cm
Stem Length11.5 - 12.1 Cm
BB Saddle Position79.7 - 81.7 Cm
Saddle Handlebar54.6 - 55.2 Cm
Saddle Setback5.4 - 5.8 Cm
Seatpost TypeNot Setback
Old 02-13-16, 10:35 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts

Your legs are long for your height, so the 57.5 top tube of the 58 will be too long, unless you have a thing for short (100 mm?) stems and tall (183 mm) head tubes. But that wouldn't be a competitive fit.

The fit calculator is pretty clear about it. 56-ish top tube with a 12-ish stem.

I'm a whisker taller than you. I worked on one of these in 58, with a 13 cm stem, yesterday. It was huge. So was its owner, about 6'3".
Old 02-14-16, 09:34 PM
portland376

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply bobcat, much appreciated. Had no idea my legs were long for my height, good to know....that's my cycling inseam measurement not pants inseam, but I'm guessing you already knew that from the fit calculator.

It definitely appears in just looking at top tube numbers I'd be a 56 in in the SLR01. I was having trouble wrapping my head around the seat tube and head tube numbers......couldn't tell if I'd end up with too many spacers or a flipped up stem to have to make the fit work. Just not sure how I can figure that out from all the numbers provided....or if that's even possible to ascertain solely based off of numbers? In short, just wasn't sure if the frame was the right overall geometry for me.
Old 02-14-16, 10:52 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
If your arm length is proportional to your leg length, don't worry about a little more handlebar drop than you'd think is appropriate. You might actually need it to get low enough. Modern handlebar shape has shallow drops and puts the lever hoods level with the top of the bar, and the shorter reach of the modern competitive fit makes the drop less of a stretch. You also might find the saddle height given by the fit calculator a bit high. The stack height of your shoes, cleats and pedals will make a difference.

I've got a similar build and I've been there. If you're reasonably flexible and ambitious about your riding, the 16.3 cm head tube will work just fine with a negative rise stem and a modest spacer stack.

Good luck. The SLR01 is a lovely bike.
Old 02-15-16, 11:45 AM
portland376

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again bobcat....just a little nerve-wracking buying a bike without actually having thrown my legs over it for a spin. A first for everything I suppose