Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

A BMW musing...

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

A BMW musing...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-16, 08:36 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
A BMW musing...

I had an incident with a BMW driver this morning. Not a big enough deal to recount BUT it got me thinking...

I would prefer to negotiate a city full of pick-up trucks and taxi cabs than encounter even ONE motorist driving a BMW. Perhaps the vertical grill is so unique that I just notice those cars more (like a full moon makes us notice weird events better). And there is/was a certain Yuppie stigma to those cars back in the day so my view of them may be bigoted.

Anyway, I was wondering. Is it just ME? Are BMWs so fun to drive (like 1960s VW Beetles) that the occupants become "possessed" by the ghosts of dead Formula 1 drivers the instant the motor growls? Anybody here OWN a BMW who can give me some insight? Any other observations? ANY car model seem worse than others to you for meathead operators?
Old 09-29-16, 08:42 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
By percentages, brands with a specific reputation do pick up like-minded clientele. A high percentage of Volvo drivers don't keep up with traffic and stop really early at traffic signals.
I drove 400 highway miles on cruise control this week. 3 BMWs, specifically, changed lanes very late to pass me and pulled back in front of me way too soon.
Old 09-29-16, 08:53 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I have read articles, both serious and not, that discuss the validity of the "BMW drivers are (insert derogatory description)".

Given the area I live in, the bigger issue are the pickup trucks, and more than that even are the distracted soccer moms/dads. Nothing worse than a parent behind the wheel trying to pay attention to a kid the back of the suv.
Old 09-29-16, 08:58 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
When I rode motorcycles, people riding most of the manufacturers got along just fine with one another, but the Harley and BMW folks were always their own little cliques.

Dunno if it has any relevance to the car drivers. I'd imagine both are owned by similar folks.
Old 09-29-16, 09:07 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
BMW must make their turn signals really hard to use, or maybe they are so expensive to fix BMW owners don't want to wear them out? Or maybe they're too busy fiddling with their iDrive knobs to bother with turn signals. In any case it's rare to see a BMW driver actually signalling his or her intentions. And they definitely have a higher propensity to race around a bike to make a quick right turn.
Old 09-29-16, 09:07 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
BMWs are not cheap. IMO people who buy them are spending the extra money to get the qualities that they possess. That is, fast acceleration and very tight handling. People who want those qualities are probably aggressive drivers. I think those drivers would drive like that regardless of the car that they are driving, but I think there's a self-selection bias at work here.
Old 09-29-16, 09:19 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
I generalized about cars and their drivers for decades, and still do to a degree. I currently live in an affluent county (westchester, NY) and see plenty of BMWs and other high end cars every day, and suspect that it's not as much the car, as the drivers sense of empowerment (resulting from affluence and social status, which allow them to own such a car).

However a few years back I rode into a gravity wave, and crashed in a way that had me bleeding from both arms and legs, plus my face. (5 areas). Before I had a chance to do a quick field assessment, 3 cars stopped to help, and protect me from traffic. After the drivers were convinced I was basically OK, despite appearances, one driver came and said, he'd be happy to give me a lift home, but couldn't take the bike. I told him the I could drop both wheels, and the bike would fit into the trunk.

So he led me back to his brand new white Lexus, with a white velour interior. We stowed the bike, and he found a towel in the trunk to cover the seat, and asked if I could hold my arms in and not bleed onto the seats because it was his wife's new car and she might get upset about blood stains. You had to be there, but this guy went well above and beyond and destroyed my illusions about cars and their drivers.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-29-16, 09:37 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat
...the validity of the "BMW drivers are (insert derogatory description)".
This has been my experience, almost without exception. They seem to believe that driving a BMW entitles them to special privileges and considerations not afforded to drivers of other vehicles. The most common issues I see/experience with them are: ignoring right-of-way, cutting off, not using turn signals (although this seems epidemic in Oregon, in general), and not stopping at traffic signals/signs.

They seem to believe that drivers of all "other vehicles" need to bow down and make way for them. I don't see the same behavior from Mercedes or Volvo drivers.
Old 09-29-16, 09:48 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
BMWs are not cheap. IMO people who buy them are spending the extra money to get the qualities that they possess. That is, fast acceleration and very tight handling. People who want those qualities are probably aggressive drivers. I think those drivers would drive like that regardless of the car that they are driving, but I think there's a self-selection bias at work here.
I think there are many fewer drivers of BMWs that are aggressive drivers who buy the cars for those traits, and many more who buy them as a status symbol and happen to be rich, self-absorbed, entitled ********.

For motorcyclists, it used to be the SUV/minivan drivers in the US. In Europe, they always dumped on the euro-equivalent, Volvo wagon drivers.

Nowadays, the scourge of my existence is Prius drivers...

Last edited by cb400bill; 09-29-16 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Bypassing forum censor.
Old 09-29-16, 09:50 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx

Nowadays, the scourge of my existence is Prius drivers...
No doubt. Talk about a good scare!
Old 09-29-16, 10:00 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
My buddy and I drove my car from Palo Duro Canyon to Cheeseman Canyon in 4 hrs 10 min, including stops (US 84, not Raton).
We were young and indestructible...It was an October weekday and there were many 5-mi vistas on the run.
Caught trout that afternoon.
Old 09-29-16, 10:09 AM
MixedRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I find it depends on the model. Generally it is the lower end models that I find driving the worst. This goes for any luxury manufacturer... BMW, Merc, Audi, Land rover, etc... I think it is because they "think" they own a fast sports car and try to drive it like one. However, the low end of the luxury brands are just as quick as a Toyota corolla.

People who own the sports models or higher end models of luxury brands I find really enjoy/love their cars. When in traffic or near other drivers because they don't want their car damaged/dinged/etc...

But yes, Prius and Teslas are the worst. Period.
Old 09-29-16, 10:15 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Wow. Quite a response in a short time.

Thanks. It's not just me apparently. Yes, other models of cars do crazy things here and there and there aren't many Porsche motorcars here (which I am pretty certain that even I would drive like an @$$) to sample. Most motorists in CARS here seem to behave in a predictably bad manner or status quo. For me to even NOTICE some particular vehicle exceeding the normal ratf*** automobile idiocy would take a lot.

Cheers!

Last edited by JoeyBike; 09-29-16 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-29-16, 10:28 AM
birru

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2007 Pinarello Galileo 105, 2014 Raleigh Cadent 2, 2017 Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the Washington DC area so more expensive cars like BMWs (and Teslas for that matter) are a dime a dozen here. I don't see awful or aggressive driving as exclusive to them. The incidents I notice tend to be from various luxury SUVs, lifted pickup trucks, and white utility vans.

One of my cars (Miata) carries a stigma of its own, which sometimes seems like a magnet for drama. I had a pickup driver repeatedly cut me off and brake check me very aggressively, and had another cut me off in a parking lot with the driver smirking and saying, "Sorry, guess I didn't see your little f***** car." Good times.
Old 09-29-16, 10:44 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I generalized about cars and their drivers for decades, and still do to a degree. I currently live in an affluent county (westchester, NY) and see plenty of BMWs and other high end cars every day, and suspect that it's not as much the car, as the drivers sense of empowerment (resulting from affluence and social status, which allow them to own such a car).

However a few years back I rode into a gravity wave, and crashed in a way that had me bleeding from both arms and legs, plus my face. (5 areas). Before I had a chance to do a quick field assessment, 3 cars stopped to help, and protect me from traffic. After the drivers were convinced I was basically OK, despite appearances, one driver came and said, he'd be happy to give me a lift home, but couldn't take the bike. I told him the I could drop both wheels, and the bike would fit into the trunk.

So he led me back to his brand new white Lexus, with a white velour interior. We stowed the bike, and he found a towel in the trunk to cover the seat, and asked if I could hold my arms in and not bleed onto the seats because it was his wife's new car and she might get upset about blood stains. You had to be there, but this guy went well above and beyond and destroyed my illusions about cars and their drivers.
He probably drove a truck or something....
Old 09-29-16, 10:48 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Yeah, I was thinking ^that too. Or even a motorcycle, so he could relate.
Old 09-29-16, 10:51 AM
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A jackass can drive anything, if only we had them limited to one or two brands!
Old 09-29-16, 10:52 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
He probably drove a truck or something....
No, he worked on Wall Street. We had a nice conversation while I was bleeding all over his towel. He was just a nice guy who believed in doing good when he could. The point is that you can't judge a sheep by it's wool.

People will surprise you, and for the most part for the better (thankfully).

BTW- I wasn't that surprised by the offer. Someone always steps up and you never know who. What made it special was his willingness to risk facing his wife's ire over the bloodstains. Of course he might not have been thinking, then was stuck, but I prefer to think otherwise.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-29-16 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-29-16, 11:14 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
I sent the link to the OP to a former co-worker, telling him I thought he'd enjoy it..
He is a BMW owner, and has the misfortune of doing much of his driving in Massachusetts, especially the Boston area.
His response:

Enjoy is one description ... I'll be one of the first to say that I hate those kinds of BMW drivers because they ruin the reputation of a great car and the rest of us who *try* to not drive like ******** pay the price.

I say try because when a car has a reputation people act like ******** to you because they expect you, the BMW driver, to be an *******. I've been cut off (one time actually forced off the road into someone's front yard) by people so many times I've lost count, and it's, as far as I can determine, because they *expect*me* to pull ****, so they feel justified in making the first move.

When I stop in traffic to let someone in from a side road or parking lot I've more often then not see a look of surprise on the face of the person I'm trying to let in; sometimes they won't even take the opening I leave them, I presume because they don't believe I won't make a last second ******* move or something.

Then after awhile of putting up with crap like being intentionally blocked, cut off, and clearly derided, the temptation to act exactly like the other drivers expect us to is quite tempting. It's very difficult to not just say "**** it" and pull a BMW Driver Maneuver (c) and take the advantage for ourselves since the cars can do it. It's a self fulfilling behaviour ... one I *try* to never allow myself to lower myself to doing (and I'm always pissed at myself when I do; when I allow other drivers to drive me to road rage and pull a maneuver like that).

The trouble is, I don't really blame most people for feeling that way, because maybe 10% of us are enthusiasts, while most *are* ******* BMW drivers.

... and I so hate them for that.
Old 09-29-16, 11:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
It's not you. It's me.
Old 09-29-16, 11:22 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
I sent the link to the OP to a former co-worker, telling him I thought he'd enjoy it..
He is a BMW owner, and has the misfortune of doing much of his driving in Massachusetts, especially the Boston area...
Nice one. Thanks.
Old 09-29-16, 11:30 AM
SugarMonkey

Bikes: MTB, hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My surgeon drives a BMW and has 23 bikes (he's the one who got me into cycling in the first place again after surgery) so they aren't all bad.
Old 09-29-16, 11:35 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by SugarMonkey
My surgeon drives a BMW and has 23 bikes (he's the one who got me into cycling in the first place again after surgery) so they aren't all bad.
Ever ride with him? I mean, in his car.
Old 09-29-16, 11:47 AM
SugarMonkey

Bikes: MTB, hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Ever ride with him? I mean, in his car.
I live near him so I see him pretty often.
Old 09-29-16, 11:51 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
it's extrapolating again - we went from a notable percentage to all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.