Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

What are you?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

What are you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-16, 07:31 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
What are you?

What do you consider yourself to be ...
  • Car free
  • Car light
  • Car light during the week and car heavy on weekends
  • Occasional car use
  • Another member of my family has a car and I ride in it as often as I can!
  • Formerly car free
  • Considering a car free lifestyle
  • Considering getting rid of one of my cars
  • I'm down to one car now!
  • I'm thinking of adding a second or third car to my fleet
  • I don't own a car, but will rent them and use taxis quite frequently
  • I use a car in my everyday life but I like to travel car free (i.e. trains, bicycle tours)
  • As car free as I can possibly be acknowledging that my food is delivered to the local grocery store by means of a motor vehicle
Or?
Or?
Or?

If you're conversing in this forum ... what kind of label or definition do you use to describe yourself?
Old 10-18-16, 07:49 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I am car light...which means that I don't drive everyday and I use my bike regularly for commuting to work, shopping and various errands.
Old 10-18-16, 08:01 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I am "trying" to be car light. Not working out too well so far... The closest town is 100Km one way, the next closest is 110Km and the next is 230Km and the next closest is 280Km in all 4 directions... Anything I want to do is basically 10Km+ in this town so, Yea, the best thing I can/did do, is get a Prius C (62MPG)... I consider not driving my truck (15MPG) to be car light... I have, managed over 2,000Km+ on my bike this last year, and 2,400+ the year before.

Last edited by 350htrr; 10-19-16 at 04:28 PM. Reason: add stuff
Old 10-18-16, 08:44 PM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im not sure what we are? @HotWheels86 rides/walks to and from work every day. I will drive to the store and my parents house or errands but otherwise we dont go or we walk/ride.
Old 10-18-16, 09:55 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I am Rollfast.
Old 10-18-16, 10:14 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I'm car free during the week, commuting by bike to work 60km round trip. On the weekends I'll often ride with a group but any errands or shopping I use the car. I've got a couple of older sports cars, 16 and 27 yrs old, which I'll likely keep. I love driving but put very few miles on my vehicles.
Old 10-18-16, 10:23 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Averaging for 2016:

Car: 300 miles/month
Bike: 1,000 miles month

As "car light" as I reckon I can be. Still have to buy groceries, materials for work, supplies, etc. I figure it's my way of evening out for my wife, who has to commute 28 miles each way 5 days a week. She drives in a week what I drive in a month, and due to her work hours, rides as much in a month as I do in a week.
Old 10-18-16, 11:15 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Well, I'm not car free (my screen name is aspirational and a bit of poking fun at myself).

However, I'm not sure what my proper label is. I own a motor vehicle that I don't keep operational. I own it solely so that I can have an insurance policy to turn on when I rent a car to drive (I actually get paid by my insurance company to keep it). I do rent a car about once every other year or so, but it can happen more frequently. When I visit my elderly parents and in-laws, I end up driving them around in their cars. I also get called on to drive neighbors to the airport (in their cars) or to haul things in their trucks/trailers.

Odder still, I occasionally take a trucking gig and roll around with 40 tons of steel and payload.

If pressed, I guess I'd have to go with car-light. I make use of cars when they suit my needs, they just don't do that very often and almost never are used just to move myself and other people.
Old 10-19-16, 04:55 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
What do you consider yourself to be ...
  • Car free [NOT]
  • Car light…
  • Occasional car use
  • Another member of my family has a car and I ride in it as often as I can!
  • I don't own a car, but will rent them and use taxis quite frequently
  • I'm down to one car now!
  • I use a car in my everyday life but I like to travel car free (i.e. trains, bicycle tours)…[NOT]
  • As car free as I can possibly be acknowledging that my food is delivered to the local grocery store by means of a motor vehicle
Or?
Or?
Or?

If you're conversing in this forum ... what kind of label or definition do you use to describe yourself?
I just finished posting about the app I use on the local bus, subway, commuter rail, and ferry boat transit system here in Boston, the MBTA.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Complaints about the (T) are often a subject for public rants for example on talk shows, but I am a grateful benefactor since I am a reverse commuter and can bring my bike on commuter rail and subway with some restrictions
For my family and me, the above definitions apply. In my everyday life, living in downtown Boston with an outbound commute, It’s actually preferable to live car free / lite in this crowded city. However, I travel distances by car, in particular since I don’t fly. Besides the ever-increasing hassle of air travel, I prefer the control allowed by the car: my own schedule, virtually unlimited baggage, the contemplative drive (the family flies, and I drive alone..."The family that travels together, unravels together.").

Right now I’m on a 10-day business/pleasure trip, from Boston to Baltimore, to Philadelphia, to a loop around Michigan, and back to Boston. I’ve brought two bikes (for rain and shine), and I’ve scheduled visits with a couple old friends, and a couple of Bikeforum members. I’ve described this trip as one, if not the only nearly unencumbered vacations I have taken, when so much of my time and destinations is at my own determination, making for a truly relaxing vacation.

BTW, I live in a transportation hub in Boston, Kenmore Square, and finding a taxi, at any time used to be easy. Recently I just couldn’t find one in an interminably long 10 minutes, and I realize what Uber has done to that industry.

Finally, not to seem a curmudgeon, but when the children were younger, we did many long-distance drives together, but now when they fly and I drive, everybody is happy.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-19-16 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-19-16, 09:15 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I'm somewhere on the car-light "spectrum".

My wife and I both own cars, and I have a couple of aircooled VWs in storage that get very few miles each year. Since about 2010/2011, I've endeavored to replace car commutes and other small trips with biking when possible, and that has brought my yearly driving mileage from 12,000+ to under 5,000. This year, the wife and I moved to another house (within the same city), which, despite hiring movers to take care of all the big and medium stuff, still resulted in many car trips to get the last of it over to the new place. An energy-demanding task that we hope not to repeat for many more years. At least now we're settled, and my new commute is a few miles shorter, so hopefully I will be able to use the car much less going forward. In fact, we've even discussed going down to one main car when one of ours bites the dust.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-19-16, 09:34 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I'm a good looking guy.
Old 10-19-16, 10:09 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I own a car...drive it alot...but hate it and the whole car culture...and wish I live in a place w/o car culture.
Join the Peace Corps.
Old 10-19-16, 10:42 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
LCF-curious.
Old 10-19-16, 03:44 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Car-light. I own two cars but they are shared across three households.

I bike or bus commute to work (75/25 split).

My adult son uses one car during the week for his construction tools and my adult daughter uses that one on the weekend as her job has very irregular hours (she walks on weekdays). My wife has the other car at home but I use it with her if we go out together on the weekend.

If I go out alone on the weekend I walk to local shops, the bank, barber etc. or to the subway if I want to go farther, but for a few places that aren't handy to get to by transit, like Home Depot, I will drive.

I usually don't use my bike for errands on the weekend, as the rides would be too short - I want the exercise of walking 1-2 km each way to wherever I am going - but I do use it some weekends for longer pleasure rides.

Last edited by cooker; 10-19-16 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-19-16, 04:47 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Car free since 2011. The doctor ordered me not to drive for six months. I realized only by parking the car that I didn't need it and actually prefer not driving.
Old 10-19-16, 04:56 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
I own a car...drive it alot...but hate it and the whole car culture...and wish I live in a place w/o car culture.
Any prospects for change?
Old 10-19-16, 05:26 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

Move to Shangri-La, not a single car over there.

Old 10-19-16, 05:31 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm the only car free person I know. The world would be lonely without car culture. I don't like cars but not enough to give up family and friends
Old 10-20-16, 07:58 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Personally ...

I spent much of my life car light ... so much so I finally figured I'd just go car free.

I was car free for about 6-ish years ... so I've got some experience in that regard.

And then circumstances changed, and I used a car a lot for about 4-ish years.

Since then, I've been back to car light.

During the week I take the bus and walk a lot ... and cycle when I can. Weekends I might use the van, as a passenger ... but not always. It depends what we're doing. However, whether we use the van or not, weekends usually include a lot of cycling. I am, first and foremost ... a cyclist!
Old 10-20-16, 12:23 PM
ZMC888
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why are you? (even here)
Old 10-20-16, 12:38 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/living-car...oductions.html

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-20-16, 01:08 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Car light here -- at least, I think so.

Two-person family; one still working (me), one retired (Ms. B). We do own and use one car, for what I consider very good reasons, but try to use it sparingly.

I am a cyclist, Ms. B. is not. Since 2002 I have not driven to work. I either ride my bike (preferred and whenever possible), walk or use public transit. My reasons for doing so, aside from simply loving to ride bikes, mainly involve environmental concerns (in the sense both of a love of the natural world and of conservation) and a desire to do what I can to minimize urban sprawl/traffic congestion and so on.

For the same sorts of reasons I tend to cycle/walk/use public transit when moving around the city for various reasons on my own. When we have places to go/things to do together, we use the car.
Old 10-20-16, 04:07 PM
Awl

Bikes: Schwinn Collegiate, Schwinn LeTour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Starting to be car-light because every time I drive any more I hate it. Bike can't carry as much yet though so there's that.
Old 10-20-16, 07:48 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I drive only on occasional weekends, typically only a few miles for groceries when I do, but I have a car mainly for my wife's medical appointments. So I guess that makes me car-light, but not my wife?

We were car-free for several years, and I owned a car for a couple of years that we never drove for mechanical issues, so I have some experience across the spectrum.
Old 10-21-16, 03:29 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
I'm the only car free person I know. The world would be lonely without car culture. I don't like cars but not enough to give up family and friends
I know a couple carefree people IRL, but not many. I come here as an opportunity for fellowship and support from other carfree/carlight people.

I have to admit that I don't feel comfortable with even asking people on the forum what their carfree status is. To me, it makes no difference. I assume that everybody who posts here has some kind of interest in being carfree or less car-dependent. Everybody here is basically symapthetic about the idea, regardless of their carfree status at this point in time.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.