Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How do YOU pronounce...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How do YOU pronounce...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-17, 01:52 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
That said, in my opinion, the way a word is pronounced in its original language is probably irrelevant if we're speaking English, but it helps to bear the original pronunciation in mind. ...
Only an English speaker would say this. In European countries where English is not the dominant language, you will hear television newscasters making (usually excellent) attempts to pronounce English proper names to sound the way English speakers say them. This is often quite a stretch for native French-speakers particularly as the sounds of many letters, not just the vowels, are different. The effect is startling: a speaker is rattling on in a to-me incomprehensible stream when out of the blue jumps a perfectly pronounced McDonalds, or Wichita, or Saskatchewan.
Old 08-16-17, 02:00 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
Only an English speaker would say this. In European countries where English is not the dominant language, you will hear television newscasters making (usually excellent) attempts to pronounce English proper names to sound the way English speakers say them. This is often quite a stretch for native French-speakers particularly as the sounds of many letters, not just the vowels, are different. The effect is startling: a speaker is rattling on in a to-me incomprehensible stream when out of the blue jumps a perfectly pronounced McDonalds, or Wichita, or Saskatchewan.
Those are three bad examples of English names.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-16-17, 02:16 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by plonz
Really tough ones for me:

Look
Red

Yeah, but wouldn't a French person pronounce the first one more like "Luke"?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-16-17, 04:36 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
To the latter point, yes, I am familiar with this phenomenon. But also with its inverse, where Germans have just as much trouble with American words as Americans have with German ones.

To the former point also, yes, I'm well aware of it. Please note: we are conversing in English here. We are all English speakers on this forum. When we speak to one another, what matters is that we communicate. We do not need to pronounce words as if we were speaking another language.

For example, Americans of a certain political bent pronounce "Iraq" something like "E Rock." Americans of another political leaning are more likely to say "eye rack." We understand either one. We would probably not understand the same word as spoken by an Iraqi (in whose language it sounds entirely different: different consonants and different vowels).

To say that we don't pronounce it the way Iraqis do is not to say we pronounce it wrong. We are speaking English, not Arabic.
Old 08-16-17, 05:35 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
As for Ciöcc, the word doesn't mean anything according to the man himself. Here's how he pronounces it....

Old 08-16-17, 05:37 PM
16Victor

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Raleigh Competition GS, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 Trek 360, 1991 Trek 7000 MTB, 1999 Burley Rumba tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 16Victor
Huffy - (i never say this)
Originally Posted by velocentrik
Disagree....(lorem ipsum ubi est sensus humor)...
Any serious bike collector knows how to pronounce and talk about Huffy...
Gosh I was just funnin'.

Last edited by 16Victor; 08-16-17 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-16-17, 07:03 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Corrrdobah corrrinthian leatherrr
Chrysler named its car the Cordoba (cor-DOH-bah) but the cities by that name in Spain and Argentina have the accent on the first syllable (COR-doh-bah) so it must have killed ol' Ricardo, a native Spanish speaker, to have to mispronounce that word. On the other hand, the company probably paid him a boatload to do so.
Old 08-16-17, 07:45 PM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
Really? Never heard that one. Are the other numbers the same? 501? "Five "oh" one" or "Five zero one"
I was talking to a Reynolds rep at the Philly Bike Expo a few years back. I knew to say "five-three-one," but when I said "five-two-oh" he corrected me with "five twenty." Maybe because it is not high-end stuff?

And I guess it is properly "chin-ELL-ee." However there was a famous restaurant in these parts that was spelled the same and was pronounced by one and all as "sin-ELL-ee's," and that old habit dies hard.
Old 08-16-17, 08:04 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Choke
As for Ciöcc, the word doesn't mean anything according to the man himself. Here's how he pronounces it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJHwPqn2jY0
Alternatively: "Pelizzoli apprenticed with a builder in Bergamo and learned how to build frames. After working with other frame builders for a time, Pelizzoli established his own company in 1969. According to Pelizolli, Ciocc was a nickname (“Poker Face” in the dialect around Bergamo) given to himself, his father, and his grandfather – so he put it on his bikes."

Bergamo, while we're at it, is pronounced BEHR-gah-moh.
Old 08-16-17, 09:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Brooks: BRO ahks

Just kidding.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-16-17, 10:25 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Eddy Merckx

Pronounced: Aidy Mairks
Old 08-16-17, 10:28 PM
WildRalph

Bikes: '85 Le tour Luxe, Puch Mixtie, Raleigh Gran Sport, Mystery Machine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Tomato - Tow-mah-toe...
accoutrement - ah-koo-tree-ment.
accouterment - ah-kooter-ment.
Webster's says they're both corrrect. Pronunciations are usually a local convention; it is respectful to make an attempt to get it right, to pay homage to a culture, an originator, or to tout your "worldliness." But if you research semantics, language origins, and proper usage..., of any language, you'll find dialects, contradictions and exceptions a-plenty. Say it the best you can and ignore the "down-the-nose" looks.
Old 08-17-17, 05:04 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 602 Posts
Deore? I pronounce it 'dee-or-ay', makes it sound Italian although I know it's a made up name by a Japanese company.
Old 08-17-17, 07:10 AM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Funny to hear I'm not the only one who pronounces it DU-RA-A-CHEE, initially as a joke, but now, all the time.
Old 08-17-17, 07:14 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Gool-yell-ma-na
So what about gugificazione? Is the second 'g' silent there too? Goo-ee-fa-cahz-ee-oh-nay? Or does the lack of a consonant after the 'g' make it a hard 'g'? Goo-gi-fa-cahz-ee-oh-nay?

And I'm still waiting to here back on the verb forms. Present perfect: Gugificazata'd?
Old 08-17-17, 07:53 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
So what about gugificazione? Is the second 'g' silent there too? Goo-ee-fa-cahz-ee-oh-nay? Or does the lack of a consonant after the 'g' make it a hard 'g'? Goo-gi-fa-cahz-ee-oh-nay?

And I'm still waiting to here back on the verb forms. Present perfect: Gugificazata'd?
@noglider, he maybe no speakie Itie, but pronunciare, va bene!
Old 08-17-17, 08:09 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by athrowawaynic
Funny to hear I'm not the only one who pronounces it DU-RA-A-CHEE, initially as a joke, but now, all the time.
I just about died laughing when someone around here said he heard that and now pronounces Race Face in the same way: Rah-chay Fah-chay.

On a more serious note: Viscount = VIE-count.

Gitane = zhee-TAHN but I usually say the G like ginormous so it comes out like dji-TAHN.
Old 08-18-17, 01:26 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 934 Posts
When I was a kid, I was stationed in Panama- of course we'd listen to the radio- I couldn't understand much of anything that the DJ would say, but it was entertaining to hear "bidde bidde bidde bidde bidde y Ma-donna bidde bidde bidde bidde New Keeds On The Block..." the way they'd slow down and very deliberately pronounce whatever American named act.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-18-17, 04:49 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
To the latter point, yes, I am familiar with this phenomenon. But also with its inverse, where Germans have just as much trouble with American words as Americans have with German ones.

To the former point also, yes, I'm well aware of it. Please note: we are conversing in English here. We are all English speakers on this forum. When we speak to one another, what matters is that we communicate. We do not need to pronounce words as if we were speaking another language.

For example, Americans of a certain political bent pronounce "Iraq" something like "E Rock." Americans of another political leaning are more likely to say "eye rack." We understand either one. We would probably not understand the same word as spoken by an Iraqi (in whose language it sounds entirely different: different consonants and different vowels).

To say that we don't pronounce it the way Iraqis do is not to say we pronounce it wrong. We are speaking English, not Arabic.
In our language we luckily have official Dutch versions of many place names, mostly because we once owned them or traded there. So "Paris" is "Parijs", "Lille" is "Rijssel" and "New York", of course, is "Nieuw Amsterdam".

Old 08-18-17, 05:59 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
In our language we luckily have official Dutch versions of many place names, mostly because we once owned them or traded there. So "Paris" is "Parijs", "Lille" is "Rijssel" and "New York", of course, is "Nieuw Amsterdam".
Of course!

Here in the US it is common for people to claim this or that country as our place of ancestry. People take great pride in being Irish, Lithuanian, whatever. As well they should; it's what makes them Americans. My ancestors were mostly from Germany, but I also have ancestors from other countries. When people (even on this forum!) brag about their Italian ancestry, I like to mention that I'm descended from the Pusinelli family from the town of Dresda.

Dresda, of course, is the Italian name for Dresden, in northern Germany but I'm rarely challenged on this.
Old 08-18-17, 06:35 AM
16Victor

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Raleigh Competition GS, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 Trek 360, 1991 Trek 7000 MTB, 1999 Burley Rumba tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
How about SRAM? sram or s-ram?
Old 08-18-17, 09:26 AM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Someone posted this in another one of these threads - https://forvo.com/search

I can't believe I've been saying Bianchi wrong this entire time...

SRAM is just SRAM.
Old 08-18-17, 09:39 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Of course!

Here in the US it is common for people to claim this or that country as our place of ancestry. People take great pride in being Irish, Lithuanian, whatever. As well they should; it's what makes them Americans. My ancestors were mostly from Germany, but I also have ancestors from other countries. When people (even on this forum!) brag about their Italian ancestry, I like to mention that I'm descended from the Pusinelli family from the town of Dresda.

Dresda, of course, is the Italian name for Dresden, in northern Germany but I'm rarely challenged on this.
Dresden, surprisingly lovely city. Went there on business abut 8 years after the wall fell, the Frauenkirche was still being reconstructed.
Old 08-18-17, 12:35 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by rhm
Here in the US it is common for people to claim this or that country as our place of ancestry. People take great pride in being Irish, Lithuanian, whatever. As well they should; it's what makes them Americans.
Bah. I've traced my paternal family line back more than 200 years to my 5x-great-grandfather (who along with my 3x-great-grandfather had the same name as me) living in the same rural county in what's now West Virginia where my grandfather was born. Near as I can tell my people grew out of the trees in the hills of Appalachia. My brother likes to tell people he's Irish and Jewish, based on the couple of threads we can identify in our mother's line, but ultimately, like most Caucasian Americans we're basically mutts. I think there's something very American about not knowing where your people are from too.

As for the disregard for pronunciation of proper names, we come by it honestly. A significant number of Americans got their current family name from those who were here before them mispronouncing and misspelling the name the family had before they immigrated.
Old 08-18-17, 12:37 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by 16Victor
How about SRAM? sram or s-ram?
shram

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.