Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

3Rensho Super Record Export Aero (SRA)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

3Rensho Super Record Export Aero (SRA)

Old 09-22-18, 07:10 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 303 Posts
Suddenly got some unscheduled time during the weekend(!). With sun outside.

Not that I believe there are many who at the moment are modifying brakehandles to aero, but if any, this is an important update.

Even though mine worked perfectly, only after circa 100 test pulls, I started to feel a bit of a sawing feeling in the handle. The handle body is made of aluminium. The cable is steel and sort of "serrated". Heard of cable saws? That was what started to happen. Today I fixed it though.

Took a plastic tube and flared it (heat and conic tools):

Tested (and yes, I have an extra handle body that I used to test things on earlier)

Shortened the tube and fitted it.

I guess the tube has to be exchanged some time if braking a lot. After fitting everything is smooth again. I will sleep better after having done this last modification.

I originally planned for black bar wrap a la pelten/Ciclolinea which is an 80ies thing. Going thru my stash of bar tape I found these Monark branded Benotto cello rolls. I could not ignore them.

Had to try them out. What do you say? Too much? The saddle is going to be a black San Marco Rolls.

My only concern is that it might take away attention from the frame and the frame is what it is all about with a 3Rensho. With a black bar wrap the frame will stand out more. Yey or ney... Is what the rest of my weekend will be about.

Last edited by styggno1; 09-22-18 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-22-18, 07:53 AM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Thanks for showing those proper ferrules. My cables sit cock eyed, and as a result my hoods have already “cracked” at the cable exit.
Old 09-22-18, 09:58 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
@styggno1, beautiful, fabulous work, thank you so much for taking us along for the ride.

Will there be any kind of a plug in the top of the brake hoods?

The bar tape looks to be a challenge, I like the red however in the last pic it appears to mute the frame to my eye, as always its about lighting but when the conflict is subtle like this it can be glaring as it comes or goes to my eye. Black can always be a good classic choice but may over power the frame imho. I might try grey or silver which of course would match the cable housing and be a classic choice also. A translucent version may be the trick as well.
Old 09-22-18, 10:47 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Benotto grey??? Easier to find than silver.

Old 09-22-18, 11:51 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Benotto grey??? Easier to find than silver.

Old 09-22-18, 03:49 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I agree the red tape is beautiful, but not on this bike. Save it for a build that needs some pizazz. If you're using a black saddle, then black bar tape seems like it would work, and not draw attention away from the frame.
Old 09-22-18, 04:02 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

I might have made a big mistake. I asked my wife about what she thought.

We both have educations that are design oriented and involve an artistic approach. She is making professional decisions on colours and patterns every day in her work. I have not since over 25 years. I am the grey management guy since long. She has the upper hand in this. She also knows me very well…

I come from the minimalistic side of things. I am an architect. I have written here on BF before that my first instinct always is “less is more”. However with time I have come to appreciate the more flamboyant side of things. Sometimes it can actually be “less is a bore”… I am struggling in my direction. Maybe I really am a closet “over decorator” trapped in a minimalist’s body...

When I asked my wife what she thought she said (in short and translated of course):
1. “The color matches perfectly (in real life – not in all pictures). You are a dumbass if not using that wrap! When are you ever going to use it if not for this bike!?”
2. “Remember how satisfied you were after building your funny blue bike! (my only other bike that is “crazy”, a Geliano)”
3. “How many bikes do you have that stand out?! Let me tell you. You have umpteen bikes and they all look the same! (ouch that hurt)”
4. “Do you think the guy that bought that bike back then was a discrete guy!? Who would get a pink metallic bike if he wants to be discrete!?”
5. She did not say a fifth thing but her look let me understand that she thought I was an idiot if not using this bar wrap.

I took her advice. It might be a mistake but I did take her advice. I re-wrapped the side I had done as it was just a sloppy test run. Then I did the other side too.

I will let it be for some time. The good thing is that I have a sh-tload of bar tape in different colours. If in the end I do not like this I can just change it. It takes 15 minutes.

If I had not asked her this bike would have had black bars right now. Time will tell if she is right and if she knows me better than I do myself.

Here are some different pics, with flash and without. It is a match in colour. In that I cannot argue with her.

I will let this bar tape be on the bike until I get the aero Cambio Rino seatpost. Then we will see.

I will throw in "the funny blue bike". I do like that one very much even if it is way out of my comfort zone. Or because it is.

Last edited by styggno1; 09-22-18 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-22-18, 05:28 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Tell your wife all your bikes POP. That means different things to different people. So does the term 'head turner'.

Perhaps next wrap go yellow.

Old 09-23-18, 11:56 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Could not wait for the Cambio Rino aero post. Had to put a seatpost and saddle there. Super Record seatpost and San Marco Rolls saddle until the "real" post arrives.

Absolute last seconds of daylight does not do any good for taking pictures.

This build takes a paus now. It will get be back when I have the Rino aero seatpost in my hand.

Last edited by styggno1; 09-24-18 at 05:55 AM.
Old 09-23-18, 12:02 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

But, but, but................... how does it ride??? Really, after all is said and done on a gorgeous bike, that’s all that matters - to the cyclist in us.
Old 09-23-18, 12:27 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

As I wrote - last seconds of daylight... And I live at a dirt road. Far from the kind of roads this bike is built for. And in Sweden where it is 7 degrees Celsius as I write this. Autumn now and winter soon. Ride report will have to wait until next summer.
Old 09-23-18, 12:38 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Patience beyond my understanding........
Old 09-23-18, 12:53 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

That is Sweden and the Swedes for you - and that is why we have so many vintage cars/boats/motorbikes/bikes, etc. in good shape. 7-8 months to restore and tinker. 4-5 months to use them.
Old 09-23-18, 03:36 PM
shnibop 

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 22 Posts
Absolutely *****in’! Bar tape is perfect! Aero brake levers are a subtle but awesome detail. Brilliant execution overall!
Old 09-24-18, 05:33 AM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
It's ironic that the bike with blue tape and this bike with matching tape are "flamboyant" for you. I wonder what you thought of this one:

Anyway, I think you made a good call, given the match is much better than the photos suggested. A made a similar choice with my faded metallic red Tommasini, though in that case it was to reintroduce some bright red back into the picture, and make the remaining red pop. Anyway, you've done a gorgeous build. I love threads like this. Congratulations.
Old 09-24-18, 06:09 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Thanks!

Oh... @shnibop and I are in contact. Like young girls we corresponded in beforehand to secure not coming to the party with similar outfits. I love his build, am seriously jealous of his Superb Pro group, and his 3Rensho was one of the reasons I pulled the trigger buying mine. I had been looking for quite a while but seeing his I intensified the search considerably.

Had to look up "flamboyant" as I have used it a couple of times - and not having English as my native language. I seem to have used it correctly...

Cambridge dictionary: flamboyant adjective (CLOTHES, ETC.)
brightly coloured and easily noticed:
His clothes were rather flamboyant for such a serious occasion.

Last edited by styggno1; 09-24-18 at 06:15 AM. Reason: spelling (ironically)
Old 09-24-18, 02:15 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Absolutely stunning.

I will second the yellow Benotto wrap. To me, for a build of this caliber, the question should not be “what other bike will I use this tape on” but “in the known universe, what is the best tape for this bike?” To my eye, yes, the pink matches, but in English we sometimes say matchy-matchy and it’s generally not meant as a positive comment. Sorry to express any negative sentiment on what is inarguably a careful and thoughtful build, but you have been through school and know what critiques are. By the same token, perhaps it goes without saying that you should only care so much what some Internet stranger on the other side of the world thinks about the color of your bar tape.

Old 09-26-18, 03:28 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

Got the seatpost!

(shown without saddle cradle - which is anodized silver)

The Cambio Rino came in both black and polished. I wanted a polished one but as they are not easy to come by I had to take what I could get. 27,2 mm is not common either as they often ended up on frames under top of the line. I found one in the US and it took its time to get here. There are some marks on it but they are all below what will show when fitted.

Polished it. Mounted the San Marco Rolls. A bit of grease on the post and down it went.

It is such a beautiful seatpost! Its aero section is 2,5 cm (1 inch) longer than a C-record and its profile is slimmer/sleeker. As seen in the first picture above - marked by a black line - is the minimum insertion limit. This seatpost really has to go on a frame that fits its rider as there is not much adjustment room from minimum insertion to the aero section. I did not measure it but it cannot be more than 2-2,5 cm.

Now this bike is starting to look 1983 aero! I am very, very satisfied with the design of the seatpost.

Still having trouble to make a firm decision on the bar tape. As I wrote earlier I originally planned for pelten/vinyl/Ciclolinea in black. Since then I have changed the plan to cello wrap. I like the one I have fitted but I want to explore my options before making the final decision. I have cello to choose from... Bought them for nothing on a car swap meet some years ago. These together with a lot of cotton bar tape and Ciclolinea vinyl cost me about 10-15 USD.

Did some test wrapping (just a short section)

I want to see the colours in daylight before I put my foot down. That will not happen until the weekend. Looking forward to it - even if it will be a tough choice...

Last edited by styggno1; 09-26-18 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-26-18, 04:15 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 272 Posts
Excellent choice of seatpost, well worth the wait! The yellow ribbon does look at home on the bars/bike to my eye. Stunning bike no matter the choice there.
Old 09-26-18, 05:31 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir_Name
Excellent choice of seatpost, well worth the wait! The yellow ribbon does look at home on the bars/bike to my eye. Stunning bike no matter the choice there.
+1

That’s quite a wrap selection. In the early 80’s I used to use that pink Benotto on my “brilliant blue” Team Champion. Flamboyant as you would say, but it looked pretty good. But so did yellow.

That’s the nice thing about bar tape. You can change it pretty easily, and in my experience Benotto re-wraps pretty easily.
Old 09-28-18, 06:39 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

Got home in time to take (late) daylight pictures with the new seatpost. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to do some comparisons between the different bar tapes in daylight conditions.

Here is todays 3Rensho spam post.

Old 09-28-18, 07:50 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 272 Posts
If one were to ask for the perfect color match in bar tape, well, that would be it.

Looks fantastic in the natural light, and looking forward to seeing the other possibilities. Just because a buffet is nice to look at.

I love the choice of wheels on this. So perfectly fit. with all of the other details
Old 09-28-18, 10:21 PM
Celloplus 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Amazing! Tempted to send you my 3rensho to build.... but seriously, what a great thread so far. Can’t wait to see the final result.
Old 09-29-18, 08:35 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Autumn arrived for real today. Cold and wet. Having friends over for the weekend but my wife took them to the woods for some mushroom picking. I took the opportunity to finish this project. Once and for all.

Comparing colours

In the end I could not ignore the facts.

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

Yellow it is!

This has been a very satisfying project and build! The frame in itself is such a beauty. Then finally getting to use the set of vintage Roval wheels and being able to do the aero conversion of the brakehandles. The parts being fused into a single and fitting entity. A 1983 3Rensho Super Record Export Aero with some personalization. I believe my imaginary 1983 time trial guy builder would be satisfied. I am.

Thank you all for putting up with my almost daily 3Rensho spamming here on BF.

One last picture. If wanting to go more aero - here it is with a Roval 18 spoke front wheel. This one for tubular tires though.

Comparison 30 spoke

Last edited by styggno1; 09-29-18 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-29-18, 08:52 AM
shnibop 

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 22 Posts
Bravo!

Perfect!

I’ve been debating going with yellow Cello on mine, definitely the right choice. I wish mine had such nice paint, yours looks almost NOS.

Amazing build and great thread! Can’t wait for your next project!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.