Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Oakley prizm lenses

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Oakley prizm lenses

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-18, 12:26 PM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Oakley prizm lenses

some dirtbag broke into my truck and stole my prescription sunglasses so I have to get another pair. I have ordered a pair of Oakley Flak 2.0 xl and am considering the prizm road lenses. My prescription is pretty strong and I am also getting progressive lenses so I can read my Garmin. This is turning out to be quite an investment and I want to make sure I'm making a good decision on the lenses.

I'm wondering how people are feeling about the prizm lenses and if they can be used off the bike and whether they offer enough glare protection? Other options would be the "everyday prizm", "trail prizm" or a standard polarized lens. The vendor says the road prizm lenses are awesome, but what are his motives? the frames are designed to swap lenses out but they are so expensive it wouldn't make sense.
Old 05-17-18, 01:37 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I have a pair of road prizm specs and really like them. They're not terribly dark and they're not polarized, so I feel like I do better when riding in mixed lighting (sun, shadow, sun, shadow, you know). Clarity and detail are great. As for glare protection? I imagine you'd want polarized for that but there are reasons to not want glare protection while riding, so that's a personal decision.

The different varieties of prizm are supposedly optimized for the colors you'll encounter, so "road" is allegedly better for asphalt, "golf" helps with green grass etc. I think Oakley has some before and after comparisons on their website - you should check them out and see what the effect is.
Old 05-17-18, 01:37 PM
jay002

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4, 2015 Specialized AWOL Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the prizm lenses and I can say that I like them a lot. Not as dark as my polarized lenses from Willey X but still very nice. I don't really use mine for activities outside of riding much but they have filled in when needed and worked just fine as well.
Old 05-17-18, 02:08 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I love Prizm Road and use them for both my off bike and on bike glasses. I used to always buy polarized glasses, especially for driving due to road glare causing me significant eye strain. I always hated some of the effects that polarized lenses caused. The Prizm's actually do a good enough job of reducing glare that I no longer buy polarized lenses. The only other lenses I use on road are transitions, I think they are G40, and I only use them in overcast or if I know it's going to be changing conditions.
Old 05-17-18, 03:46 PM
BarryVee

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Santa Cruz Tallboy 27.5+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I cycle & drive with Oakley Flak 2.0 xl prescription Road Prizm lenses, (strictly distance vision correction/not progressive). They work well for me in overcast-bright conditions, and I have a set of clear lenses for cycling in the dark. Road Prizms make pavement surface conditions really pop. And I do enjoy the taller wider field of view xl wrap lenses provide along with wind & debris protection. While they were expensive, they are wonderful, and I do not regret the purchase. The wrap lenses have fogged a bit around the edges on very steep climbs but only in cold, humid conditions when my speed dropped below 5mph. Just the edges near my face fogged and cleared up with a little more speed. I can also read my bike computer and vehicle gauges easier with Road prizms than with RG 15 polarized prescription sunglasses. Mine were ordered online from SportRx in San Diego after speaking with them on the phone.
Old 05-18-18, 03:19 PM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Ok, I ordered the Road Prizm prescription/progressive lenses and Flak 2.0 xl from SportRx and I'll report on back in a week or two. They do offer unconditional satisfaction guarantee and stated if I don't like the lenses they will replace them.