Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Changing gears

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Changing gears

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18, 01:23 PM
DonRocinante

Bikes: 1991 Trek 1200

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
So you have done all this on flat pedals. Those 'cages' are called toeclips, the complete setup is called clips & straps. I'm a big fan of toeclips and use them myself. Unfortunately clips are getting arcane and difficult. You will be much better off getting basic SPD clipless. $40 retail pedals are fine, shoes are going to cost you.

You do or did some running. This is kinda like coach watches the team doing a warmup set of 440 intervals @ 60 seconds and sees that you are breezing through them. Then notices the Chuck Taylors on your feet. Or maybe its Crocs. Coach is going to get you into some spikes and you are going to learn how to use starting blocks. When you know how to use the blocks we find out if you are good for a 50 second 440 or if maybe it is better than that.
Bike shoes are used hard. They just cost more than spikes. When Nike started making bike shoes they blew up quickly for the first five generations and then they decided to market Italian until they figured it out. Shop for price but get Italian. There are some good fake Italian shoes out there, the good ones are not cheap, better to just get the real thing. They will last for years.
Hahaha! I love the analogy! The funny thing is I see how ignorant I actually am to this sport! Wow. Thanks for the advice on what to shop for in both pedals & shoes. I can’t wait to get some & try it out.

I went on on my first ride today after overdoing it the way I had been. I didn’t log into Strava, I took off my cyclometer, I didn’t track my cadence, I just rode nice & easy to see how my legs would feel & I only did 6 miles. It was a cool day & I felt good. I’m going to try a lower body workout tomorrow & ride again for my cardio portion. Then, I’ll be doing some recon online to gather some intel on those shoes & pedals.
Old 10-25-18, 01:34 PM
DonRocinante

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
You've heard wrong. There have been a number of studies done showing that pulling up on the back side of the pedal stroke actually decreases your overall power because it negatively affects how hard you can push down with the other leg. Counterintuitive, yes, but that's the way it is. The muscle groups available for lifting your leg are puny compared to those available for pushing down. Some quick googling will bring up lots of information on this.

Toe clips/straps or "clipless" pedals are primarily to keep your foot retained in a good location on the pedal. It's generally not necessary to cinch down the straps tightly. With a tiny bit of practice you should be able to smoothly insert your foot into the clip/strap within one pedal revolution of starting without any dragging.
Okay, so you are referring to fast & slow twitch muscle fibers. I can relate with that. And I am aware of when each is engaged. I actually think of this (as nerdy as it may be!) while I do my workouts, kayak, play tennis, run & now when I’m riding. Finally! A language I can speak haha!!

It is interesting to read advice from so many experienced cyclists here which sometimes seems to contradict the advice from other experienced cyclists. I think about all of the opinions I heard about changing any aspect of gearing & it reminds me of my “Ford or Chevy” analogy. So I would be suspecting this is the case here, except that you have mentioned some studies. I’m a fan of empirical data, so I need to have a look before I make that move.

When i I first got this bike I had actually wondered if that was the purpose to those straps (to keep your feet from slipping). I’m thinking there will be some conversation coming on this topic which I will follow closely as I do a little research. Thank you for bringing this point up!
Old 10-26-18, 05:21 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
Cleats

Nobody who has the remotest interest in performance uses flat pedals . Forget about the pros and trackies who would die laughing if you suggested they use flat pedals. Nobody but nobody.
Straps, done up good and tight as they should be, are not for the open road...... period - your collar bone will thank me for that. Get some cheap clip on pedals (they usually come with a set of cleats included) and some proper road bike shoes.
A start point is lean on a wall, sit on saddle with your race shoes on and touch your race shoe heel on the pedal with your leg fully extended. That is your seat height.

Clip in both feet, rotate cranks to the horizontal 3 o'clock - 9 o'clock position . Drop a long weighted shoe lace down from your knee cap and it must pass thru the pedal spindle axis . Move your seat back or fwd to get the lace to reach this position.

On the hoods your arms should be slightly bent so best to avoid road shock.
With difficulty you should be able to remain sitting up when you remove both hands from your hoods. If not your bike is too long and your back with hurt.

Look down at your front hub. Your cross bar on your handle bars should obscure it. Adjust the stem length to make it so.
These positions are just a start. We are all different but move just one thing at a time a cm either way and you should be getting pretty close to your ideal position.
It is important to remember under motion and under power(what matters most) these positions may be considerably different and require an observer to tell you how much so.
Old 10-26-18, 06:01 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Yes, muscles for pulling up your foot on backstroke are puny. Not the point. Studies designed by those not clear on the concept are worse than meaningless.

You can start practicing lifting your leg on flat pedals right now. I do it nearly every time I ride my flat pedal town bike. Just lift your leg. If you overdo it on a flat pedal your foot comes off the pedal. Like a millimeter or so.

The ideal is to apply power around the entire 360 degrees of pedal circle. Always applying power at a tangent to that circle. That's the ideal. No one achieves that. Everyone gets power on the downstroke and some get power for short arcs here and there in the rest of the pedal circle. The rest of the time what you want is to be loose and to get out of your own way. Repeat, you need to get out of your own way. So try lifting your leg just once on your flat pedals. Experience lifting your foot marginally off the pedal. Before you did that, before you did something positive to get your leg up, how do you think your leg came up? It did, how did it happen? Maybe you are just a natural and have the most amazing coordination and you pedaled perfectly right from the start. If you were not born perfect what you do when you pedal is you push down on both pedals. The pedal coming down is pushed forcefully enough to lift the leg on the other side. The leg coming down lifts the dead weight of the other leg and overcomes the resistance of the other leg. This is somewhat inefficient.

I don't care if you believe me. This was taught to me by greats of the sport half a century ago. I did not make up any of this. Try pedalling on flat pedals as suggested just once, for a couple hundred yards and see if it makes a difference for you. Put theory and studies somewhere else and try it for a couple hundred yards. If it doesn't work for you when you try it then it may as well not work at all.
Old 10-26-18, 07:54 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Pedalling squares vs Pedalling circles.

Yes, muscles for pulling up your foot on backstroke are puny. Not the point. Studies designed by those not clear on the concept are worse than meaningless.

You can start practicing lifting your leg on flat pedals right now. I do it nearly every time I ride my flat pedal town bike. Just lift your leg. If you overdo it on a flat pedal your foot comes off the pedal. Like a millimeter or so.

The ideal is to apply power around the entire 360 degrees of pedal circle. Always applying power at a tangent to that circle. That's the ideal. No one achieves that. Everyone gets power on the downstroke and some get power for short arcs here and there in the rest of the pedal circle. The rest of the time what you want is to be loose and to get out of your own way. Repeat, you need to get out of your own way. So try lifting your leg just once on your flat pedals. Experience lifting your foot marginally off the pedal. Before you did that, before you did something positive to get your leg up, how do you think your leg came up? It did, how did it happen? Maybe you are just a natural and have the most amazing coordination and you pedaled perfectly right from the start. If you were not born perfect what you do when you pedal is you push down on both pedals. The pedal coming down is pushed forcefully enough to lift the leg on the other side. The leg coming down lifts the dead weight of the other leg and overcomes the resistance of the other leg. This is somewhat inefficient.

I don't care if you believe me. This was taught to me by greats of the sport half a century ago. I did not make up any of this. Try pedalling on flat pedals as suggested just once, for a couple hundred yards and see if it makes a difference for you. Put theory and studies somewhere else and try it for a couple hundred yards. If it doesn't work for you when you try it then it may as well not work at all.
Without clips and or straps how do you keep the power on the tops and bottom of the pedal stroke? If you keep the power on thru this segment of the stroke without an attachment, your feet will slide off at the tops and bottoms of every half revolution. If thus your power from both legs will only come on a much smaller segment of the crank cycle.. Hence the flat sided square analogy.
I have plenty of single foot experience. I suggest you do it on a single flat pedals going uphill and then do it uphill with a clip ons. I can guarantee you will notice a huge difference in power transmission where the rubber meets the road.
Old 10-26-18, 08:17 AM
63rickert

This is the problem with the internet. I am suggesting to Don Rocinante that he try something on the pedals he has now. I would suggest that you try it too. Previously I suggested to DR that he get some clipless pedals. Of course being secured to the pedal will make climbing easier.

As for applying power at top dead center and bottom dead center it is possible, not likely anyone is applying much. Top dead center is usually pretty easy to float through. Most lose lots of power at bottom dead center. Legs and feet are a series of reciprocating levers and creating power on a circular path with that setup is not particularly easy, it is not straightforward, there is nothing obvious about it.

DR claims to have done above 33mph already on his flat pedals. I believe him. He didn't get that far without doing a lot of things right.. He is a rank novice, he has a lot going for him.

Afraid attempting to discuss any of this on social media may be purely Quixotic.

Someone above claimed that riding clips and straps leads immediately and unavoidably to broken collarbones. How does any discussion go forward when any commenter throws in any bizarre red herring at any time? For the record I have 400,000 miles in my legs, most of it on toeclips. I broke a collarbone exactly once. I was on SPD at the time, and that had nothing to do with the fall. It was an MTB race, falls happen. Any discussion anywhere anytime comes to a swift end when someone claims Danger! Danger! Danger! I am a senior citizen, if I fall I will break something. In two hours I will be out on the bike, on toeclips, on fixed gear. And safe.
Old 10-26-18, 08:39 AM
Johno59

Strapped in

If you choose to push down only you don't need your straps tight. If you choose to keep power on during the complete cranking cycle you need them tight to stop your shoe coming out for at least half the crank cycle.
Stopping for whatever reason whilst strapped in tight requires some seriously fast work on slackening the strap buckle before you smack the road with your shoulder.
That is why track bikes have no brakes and clip on pedals we're invented for the open road.
Old 10-26-18, 10:59 AM
DonRocinante

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is how my bike is setup. The other picture is my best speed on my bike. I never would have known that riding clipless or flat pedals would make a difference. I am new to this. I am grateful for having a forum I can use to ask questions of cyclists with decades & years of experience.

No, I don’t know the absolute best way to setup my bike, or what pedals to use or what gears I should have in order to ride with the perfect ratios at the perfect cadence I’m the perfect position. This is why I am here.

Im saying all of this because I get the feeling that some responders to my questions are annoyed somehow. Like, personally offended that I don’t know these things & am asking. What the hell?
Old 10-26-18, 11:22 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
LOL, don't get offended. A lot of these subjects have been bickered about for years. For example, flats vs clipless vs toe clips.

Anyway, yeah, going with clipless pedals or simply getting clips and straps will absolutely make a difference. At the very least, they are helpful in achieving a very high spin. There is a reason that all racers have strapped in or clipped in for generations.

Oh, and it really isn't a big deal to use straps and clips on the road. You simply reach down and flick the buckle open with your thumb while coasting to a stop. Becomes quite instinctual. It's a bit trickier with a fixed gear. BITD we'd leave them loose around town while warming up, and tightened them up when we got to the open road. That said I prefer clipless pedals for comfort, though functionally they're pretty much the same as clips and cleats.
Old 10-26-18, 11:32 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 321 Posts
Originally Posted by DonRocinante

This is how my bike is setup. The other picture is my best speed on my bike. I never would have known that riding clipless or flat pedals would make a difference. I am new to this. I am grateful for having a forum I can use to ask questions of cyclists with decades & years of experience.

No, I don’t know the absolute best way to setup my bike, or what pedals to use or what gears I should have in order to ride with the perfect ratios at the perfect cadence I’m the perfect position. This is why I am here.

Im saying all of this because I get the feeling that some responders to my questions are annoyed somehow. Like, personally offended that I don’t know these things & am asking. What the hell?
Hang in there. Most people are trying to be helpful. It’s the internet and sometimes things get posted in haste and come out wrong.

I don’t think the lack of brakes on track bikes has a thing to do with what kind of pedals are on them. Brakes simply aren’t needed. To be clear, I am speaking of track bikes on the track.
Before clipless pedals, all serious riders rode with clips and straps, and many still do. It just isn’t that hard, at least if you have the straps threaded correctly.
Old 10-26-18, 12:19 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 492 Posts
Originally Posted by Johno59
Clip in both feet, rotate cranks to the horizontal 3 o'clock - 9 o'clock position . Drop a long weighted shoe lace down from your knee cap and it must pass thru the pedal spindle axis . Move your seat back or fwd to get the lace to reach this position.

Look down at your front hub. Your cross bar on your handle bars should obscure it. Adjust the stem length to make it so.
I do not agree with these old cyclists tales. For folks with a very average length torso in proportion to their upper and lower leg length and bikes with typical amounts of fork rake and trail these very old rules of thumb sometimes work out. However, even slight deviations from "average" make these rules of thumb complete bunk. the KOPS (knee over pedal spindle) measurement is completely dependent on the ratio of upper to lower leg length which has nothing to do with where your seat should be positioned. The handlebars obscuring front hub measurement is affected by way too many variables, including torso length, handlebar shape, neck length, position of eyes on head, etc, etc, etc. so is completely useless.

I do agree with your other point (seat height estimation), though would modify it by suggesting that you should be able to pedal backwards without your hips rocking with your heels on the pedal.
Old 10-26-18, 12:29 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I think the old rules of thumb are a great starting point. They will get you in the ballpark. IMO the newbie is much better off setting up a bike using them than by doing it "by feel", as so often happens. I see a lot of whackadoodle positioning going on these days, often because someone read on the interwebs that KOPS was bad, etc. Yes, there are variations in body proportions, but they are much less than the variations in newbies guessing at where something should be.

There's another old ROT for stem length: if you put your elbow against your the nose of your seat, your fingertips should just brush the back of the handlebars.
Old 10-26-18, 12:37 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 492 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I think the old rules of thumb are a great starting point. They will get you in the ballpark.
I do agree with this if you have nothing else to go on. My post was primarily reacting to johno's statement that the string from the kneecap "must pass thru the pedal spindle axis." I think it is much more smarter to completely ignore this and adjust the fore-aft saddle position back until you have no substantial weight bearing on your arms. KOPS doesn't reliably produce this result.
Old 10-26-18, 02:28 PM
DonRocinante

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the laugh, Salamandrine! I also appreciate that insight!

Wow, guys. I definitely get that there are many different points of view on the many topics everyone has mentioned here. Keep them coming. Even though, from my side of the fence, this to me is like having 12 or so coaches who either completely agree, or generally agree, but have different variations of the right or best way to do something & express those differences with enough detail that I don’t know which end of the bike is the front anymore haha!

So I guess my best option is to continue to ask questions & out of the differing opinions, find what works the best for me. Like my seat adjustment & just plain comfort. The seat I have now is the fourth one I’ve tried. Once i was sure that it was comfortable enough, then I moved the seat around until I was sure that I could ride for my 20 miles with any discomfort. I had kinda figured out the slight bend in the leg rule while talking with a few cyclists I’ve ridden with. I’m not saying that I have it all figured out. I’m only saying I feel like I can deliver the power I need to in order to have a good stride without being uncomfortable.

As as far as positioning the other adjustable aspects of my bike, I’ve taken advice & then done some rides & made my adjustments with a couple of Allen wrenches I packed with me.

So yeah, I’m listening. I am also trying different things out & using suggestions as a guide while discovering what works for me. Again, this is a great learning tool for a new guy with multiple coaches & strategies. I hope to hear more
Old 10-26-18, 03:54 PM
63rickert

Let's back up. Cycling shoes are a good thing. Not the same as any other shoe or athletic shoe. They have stiff soles for power transfer. Cycling uses feet hard, cycling shoes have a lot of support. As hard as the OP is riding it is time for proper shoes. Everyone who tries them likes them.

As hard as the OP is riding he needs some kind of foot retention. Toe clips would work. Problem is there is a learning curve and the era of toe clips is past. Most modern shoes have stuff and 'features' on top of the vamp and won't even slide under the strap. Then you get to cobble in a cleat. I've had enough trouble with that I am back to using 1970s shoes intended for toe clips. It is way easier for someone new to get clipless.

Also if using toe clips you will cope with endless kibitzers who sling non-factual nonsense. Mostly from people who never used clips at all. Sometimes people who did use them and made every possible mistake. Plus wholly original and unique mistakes no one else ever made, but they are sure if you use them you will have the same strange problems they created for themselves. It's an uphill fight a new guy don't need.

Clipless pedals have probably a 99% satisfaction rate. There have been a few systems that were dogs. Those didn't sell well and you probably won't see them.

Good shoes coupled with decent pedals will be an instant improvement. You will be faster.

If OP wants to PM me I've a set of scruffy Time ATAC Carbon pedals, with cleats. Free. For road use the cleats should have another 20,000 miles and last I checked new ones were still available.

OPs bike looks fine. Good saddle setback, good saddle angle, nice drop from saddle to bars, good angle on bars, good placement of brake levers, Cg will be fine when someone sits on it. Would need to see the bike being pedaled to know more.
Old 10-27-18, 04:36 AM
Johno59

Noob setup to avoid preventable injury.

The old school setup rules are purely designed to prevent poor bike setup injuring a noob before he or she can work out what best works for their unique body shape.
They are designed to eliminate busting a gut on a frame too big or too small, too stretched, too compact, too wide, too high or too low.
All of these mistakes can prove disheartening for a noob and or injurious - especially if they are already doing over 30 mph on flats!
We have all hung on to bikes that we loved but realized they were the wrong fit for our body geometry.
Every day I see probably 75% of riders struggling into a headwind with a poor to ridiculous setup that 20 seconds and an allen key would alleviate 50 % of their wasted effort.
Sitting on the toilet belongs in the little room not on the road. Mind you having said that I'm amazed
​​​​​nobody has yet designed a loo roll accessory for MTBs - coz they definetly should never be allowed out of the WC unless your in the woods being chase by a bear who was taking........ ok.... ok.... OKAY! I'll take a chill pill and relax.
​​​​​​

​​​​​​

Last edited by Johno59; 10-27-18 at 05:35 AM.
Old 10-27-18, 05:46 AM
Johno59

Small frame

Originally Posted by due ruote

Hang in there. Most people are trying to be helpful. It’s the internet and sometimes things get posted in haste and come out wrong.

I don’t think the lack of brakes on track bikes has a thing to do with what kind of pedals are on them. Brakes simply aren’t needed. To be clear, I am speaking of track bikes on the track.
Before clipless pedals, all serious riders rode with clips and straps, and many still do. It just isn’t that hard, at least if you have the straps threaded correctly.
That is a very small frame. One aspect of racing bikes that may not be obvious is that when you come to a halt you dismount. You do not remain in the saddle when your feet are on the ground. If you can do that your setup is way off.

Last edited by Johno59; 10-27-18 at 05:52 AM.
Old 10-27-18, 07:11 AM
63rickert

Sean Kelly won hundreds of pro races while sitting on the toilet. It was the unanimous opinion of the community that he sat too low. He was fully aware of that opinion. He just figured he kept winning so best to leave his saddle where it was. When he finally put his saddle up very late in his career he kept on winning at about the same pace. Everybody who said he sat too low was probably right. Kelly was right to move his saddle when he was good and ready and not before.

Do what you want with coaching opinion.

Kelly is not the most outstanding example of a legendary racer who won in spite of doing it all wrong. That would be Freddy Maertens. Freddy had absolutely beautiful form and could read a race better than anyone. What he did wrong was to race drunk. He drank during races. It's really hard to win hundreds of races when you frequently can't even manage to stumble to the starting line. Someone else's proven formula for success does not necessarily work for you. Do not fill your water bottles with Lanson Champagne, not even if Lanson gives it to you.
Old 10-27-18, 12:44 PM
due ruote 

Originally Posted by Johno59
That is a very small frame. One aspect of racing bikes that may not be obvious is that when you come to a halt you dismount. You do not remain in the saddle when your feet are on the ground. If you can do that your setup is way off.
Sorry, but I don’t understand your point. I also don’t know which bike you are saying is small. Anyway, the distance from saddle to pedal should remain constant for a given human, regardless of the frame size. Whether one can touch the ground while on the saddle would have to do with the bottom bracket drop and/or crank length. I generally can put one toe down but certainly not both. But again, I am at a loss as to how this relates to toe clips.
Old 10-28-18, 01:14 AM
Johno59

Sorry, but I don’t understand your point. I also don’t know which bike you are saying is small. Anyway, the distance from saddle to pedal should remain constant for a given human, regardless of the frame size. Whether one can touch the ground while on the saddle would have to do with the bottom bracket drop and/or crank length. I generally can put one toe down but certainly not both. But again, I am at a loss as to how this relates to toe clips.
My toe is about 2 or 3 inches from the ground whilst seated. If I am slackening my straps
Originally Posted by Rcrxjlb
I wanna try these:

My toes are 2 or 3 inches away from the ground. If I am slow releasing my straps I am already falling quite fast and quite far and the from up there the impact with the ground is harder and faster than a lower foot position. Even without straps, remaining seated and getting a foot down safely can be difficult.....for me at least.
Some folks pedal with a horizontal foot and some with a considerable amount of toe-down. So the position under motion can also determine the frame size regardless of the inside seam length.
Old 10-28-18, 05:45 AM
63rickert

If you can't get a foot on the ground, solidly, when you come to a stop you are just sitting too high. Basic safety. Riding a bike does not require contortions or acrobatic skills. Normal operation does not require constant risk-taking. Riding a bike is easy. If it ain't easy it ain't safe and it certainly isn't safe in traffic.
Old 10-28-18, 07:23 AM
due ruote 

If you can't get a foot on the ground, solidly, when you come to a stop you are just sitting too high. Basic safety. Riding a bike does not require contortions or acrobatic skills. Normal operation does not require constant risk-taking. Riding a bike is easy. If it ain't easy it ain't safe and it certainly isn't safe in traffic.
Easy. “Like riding a bike.”

Also, if you have to point your toes down when you pedal, you can expect to develop knee pain.
Old 10-28-18, 11:24 AM
Johno59

Flat footed

Easy. “Like riding a bike.”

Also, if you have to point your toes down when you pedal, you can expect to develop knee pain.
There isn't a single pro road racer on the planet who could put a solid foot on the ground when seated. If a pro needs the benefit of a high seat the rest of us most definitely need it if we are hoping to maintain the average speeds the OP is hoping to achieve
Old 10-28-18, 12:34 PM
63rickert

If you stick around you will meet some pros. They are not that remote. They ride their bikes on public roads. They started racing in the same clubs the rest of us belong to. When the traffic signal turns red and they need to stop there is not a little gnome who hops out of the follow car to hold them upright until the light is green. Neither do they dismount or teeter on a single tippy-toe.
Old 10-28-18, 01:27 PM
Johno59

When you stop you slide off the seat and straddle the cross bar......like these idiots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.