Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Unival, Looking for history.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-18, 06:27 PM
trimmerman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I had a Unival 10-speed I got in 1975. My brother lost it for me many years ago, thanks bro. Anyway, lately I have been getting interested in old bikes and it got me curious about the pedigree of my old bike. There are a few images of Unival bicycles, but I can find nothing that directs back to the manufacturer. It was a purple mens bike, it had Suntour derailleurs, cottered cranks, no fenders, white handlebar tape, 27'' wheels, no pump pegs, side pull brakes, down tube shifters. I'm sure it was a modestly priced bike at the time. Most manufacturers are listed on the big lists but Unival does not seem to be there. Anybody know anything about the pedigree of my old bike? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-18, 12:20 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
What part of the country or world did you live in, and do you know which country the bike was made in or sourced from? I’m not familiar with any company making bikes named Unival but Univega comes to mind although I believe that line was introduced in 1976.
Old 10-12-18, 06:17 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
trimmerman -

Unival used to be the house brand name for bicycles and parts sold in Canada through the Home Hardware chain of stores. They were produced from all over the world and some may even have been Canadian built, depending on the time period and exchange rates. It's possible your bike was European, Canadian or very early Japanese production. Photo?
Old 10-13-18, 11:54 AM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by bertinjim
trimmerman -

Unival used to be the house brand name for bicycles and parts sold in Canada through the Home Hardware chain of stores. They were produced from all over the world and some may even have been Canadian built, depending on the time period and exchange rates. It's possible your bike was European, Canadian or very early Japanese production. Photo?
+1

I have seen several Unival bicycles in western Canada. The frames of all of the Univals that I have seen where manufactured in Japan by Kuwahara. The serial numbers were on the side of the seat tube.
Old 10-14-18, 07:13 PM
trimmerman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mech986
What part of the country or world did you live in, and do you know which country the bike was made in or sourced from? I’m not familiar with any company making bikes named Unival but Univega comes to mind although I believe that line was introduced in 1976.
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by mech986
I'm from Vancouver Island, BC, Canada. I don't think Unival and Univega where related. The Unival name has been used for a few different things internationally. Pharmaceuticals, lubricants, and pipe/fittings to name a few. I did try to inquire at the pipefitters but no response yet. It is curious to me that Unival is not listed. Some less famous names are. The genetics of bicycles are so intertwined it is difficult sometimes to isolate a third party manufacturer. Sadly, I don't have a picture. There is not even one on the internet that I can find. It was a purple 10 speed, suntour derailleurs, White handlebar tape, cottered cranks, chrome wheels, lousy side pull brakes, Cheap plastic seat that broke in half, downtube shifters,
Old 11-05-18, 12:01 PM
trimmerman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hummer
+1

I have seen several Unival bicycles in western Canada. The frames of all of the Univals that I have seen where manufactured in Japan by Kuwahara. The serial numbers were on the side of the seat tube.
Thank you for the information. I saw an old Apollo with Kawahara decals on the downtube. There seems to be lots of bikes that use Kawahara frames. There may be a connection to Kawahara. I am almost certain it was Japanese manufacture. Wish I still had it. It's looking like it would be a unique piece in a collection.