Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph

Old 09-18-19, 06:29 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Probably not in our lifetimes... even if AVs were perfected in 5 years... how many more decades to replace all the cars on the roads today?
Most miles driven are with cars that are < 20 years old.

Yeah, there are a few 30 or 40 year old cars on the road. Even a few 100 year old cars, but they don't get a lot of miles.

If 100% of the new cars were autonomous vehicles by 2025, then by 2050, over 90% of the miles driven would likely be by autonomous vehicles. By 2060 or 2070, it could well be up to 99%.

Then the government could give out big tax incentives to get the remaining cars either off the road or locked away in vintage collections.

We'll likely see a transition period where vehicles will have both manual and autonomous modes, but if autonomous really works, then we'll see cars go to 100% autonomous, or really change so that any manual mode is only for a shop maintenance mode, probably with very minimalistic controls.
Old 09-18-19, 06:42 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The exception of course is when a bicyclist is riding on a high speed road with few intersections, driveways, or exits/entrances where traffic can enter or leave the road; for example - the road location where the cyclist involved in this accident was riding. In those cases, the high risk to the cyclist is to his rear, not to his front.

This bicyclist was struck from behind by a vehicle that probably would have been clearly seen approaching if the cyclist was even occasionally monitoring traffic to his rear.

And as is obvious, recording video to the rear is useless for monitoring anything in real time.
Even without a mirror, I would have been aware of the car coming from behind. I may or may not have glanced back in time to see it swerve towards me.

99.999% of the cars safely pass, and it is easy to assume that that 0.001% would safely pass too.

If I didn't have rumble strips to my right, I would have drifted onto the shoulder before the car passed, even if the shoulder was pretty rough.

The rider road position with respect to the rumble strips effectively created a physical barrier for his movement right.

Yes, I've wondered about the efficacy of video cameras. The Varia system is supposed to give a warning without video, but may or may not have been accurate enough to detect the danger without too many false positives.

The Varia Vision™ In-sight Display is supposed to give a heads-up display that also pairs with the rear radar. I'd like to also see a rear camera feature, although one might assume a mirror would be good enough if not better.
Old 09-18-19, 07:00 PM
transitguy

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Limited, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek 520, Specialized carbon Diverge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, the rumble strips extended nearly all the way across the shoulder on one section of I-84 through eastern Oregon. There was a strip of pavement about 10" wide between the motor vehicle lane and the edge of the rumble strips, but there was no way I was going to ride there unless I was certain that no traffic was approaching from behind. There just was not enough room to make riding there safe. Most of the time I rode close to the far outer edge of the shoulder on this section (away from motorized traffic) and sometimes the rumble strips there were filled with sand, which made them much smoother. Eastern OR was the only place I encountered this type of rumble strip. Most of the I-84 (Oregon) and I-90 (Montana) corridor that I rode had rumble strips that were near the edge of the auto / truck traffic lane, and that left about 6' of shoulder open for cycling without too much trouble.
Old 09-18-19, 08:02 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Most miles driven are with cars that are < 20 years old.

Yeah, there are a few 30 or 40 year old cars on the road. Even a few 100 year old cars, but they don't get a lot of miles.

If 100% of the new cars were autonomous vehicles by 2025, then by 2050, over 90% of the miles driven would likely be by autonomous vehicles. By 2060 or 2070, it could well be up to 99%.

Then the government could give out big tax incentives to get the remaining cars either off the road or locked away in vintage collections.

We'll likely see a transition period where vehicles will have both manual and autonomous modes, but if autonomous really works, then we'll see cars go to 100% autonomous, or really change so that any manual mode is only for a shop maintenance mode, probably with very minimalistic controls.
As I said... not within our lifetime... that 2050 is 31 years in the future... I am in my early 60s now...
Old 09-18-19, 08:17 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by transitguy
Yes, the rumble strips extended nearly all the way across the shoulder on one section of I-84 through eastern Oregon.

Interesting and very annoying. Glad the sand made it easier. I wouldn't ride in that ten inch strip either.

Most of the I-84 (Oregon) and I-90 (Montana) corridor that I rode had rumble strips that were near the edge of the auto / truck traffic lane, and that left about 6' of shoulder open for cycling without too much trouble.
That's more what I'm used to. My neighborhood drains onto a 55-mph four-lane (formerly 45mph two-lane, much nicer before) with narrow rumble strips and car-sized breakdown lanes. Every ride starts with that.

Last edited by rseeker; 09-18-19 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-18-19, 08:23 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Anyone ride on loose chip seal?

Anyone?

-mr. bill
Old 09-19-19, 07:37 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by transitguy
Yes, the rumble strips extended nearly all the way across the shoulder on one section of I-84 through eastern Oregon.
I used to bike commute on a 5 mile section of I-84 from 1978-1980 from Hermiston OR to/from the next exit to the west. The road was then called I-80N and had no rumble strips. Riding on the six feet wide smooth well paved shoulder was easy-peasy with no issues at all other than the traffic noise from high speed motor vehicles.
Old 09-20-19, 11:38 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Another data point

Another data point in the argument for retesting for licensing, as originally proposed.

"Unimaginable"

Should be titled "Unfortunately Frequent"

Local driver suggests more signs, or something.

Last edited by Unca_Sam; 09-20-19 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-20-19, 11:58 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by mr_bill

Anyone?

-mr. bill
I have ridden on fresh chipseal. Not the most fun day, but it was OK.

Around here, for the most part the chipseal is swept a few days after application.

We have a few places where the county will sand bridges or corners, and then just never gets around to cleaning up their mess in the spring. Thus we end up with a narrow strip of clean pavement near the foglines, and wide sections of a gravel/sandy mess.
Old 09-20-19, 12:22 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Another data point in the argument for retesting for licensing, as originally proposed.

"Unimaginable"

Should be titled "Unfortunately Frequent"

Local driver suggests more signs, or something.
Very sad. And, if the guy was 83 years old, he likely was driving around the Amish for over a half century. Hopefully his license was permanently and forever revoked.

I wonder if one could argue for painting the Amish buggies like circus wagons.

Apparently some Amish are using buggy lights. I wonder if one could argue modernizing the buggies with crash protection. Still horse drawn, but designed to take a 60 MPH rear or side impact.
Old 09-20-19, 01:20 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by mr_bill

Anyone?

-mr. bill
What is "loose chip seal" supposed to mean?

Is it a road surfaced only with loose gravel or aggregate without any application of sealant, or is it just the excess gravel or aggregate not enmeshed in the bituminous surface treatment layer of a properly chip sealed road?
Old 09-21-19, 04:45 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I used to bike commute on a 5 mile section of I-84 from 1978-1980 from Hermiston OR to/from the next exit to the west. The road was then called I-80N and had no rumble strips. Riding on the six feet wide smooth well paved shoulder was easy-peasy with no issues at all other than the traffic noise from high speed motor vehicles.
1978-1980... well before the ubiquitous driver distraction known as a "smartphone" was invented. Cars had physical buttons, sliders and knobs that didn't require a driver to look at a touch screen to turn on a heater or change radio stations.

From about 1975 to about 1987 the national speed limit (often exceeded, mind you) was 55MPH. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nati...imum_Speed_Law

There had been a "gas crisis" in the mid and late '70s; Americans were driving smaller cars... the SUV craze had not yet occurred. https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/s...deaths-report/

Both cell phones and SUVs emerged on the American highways in the 90's. The 70's included a huge surge in cycling, and even "What's His Name's" book about Cycling Effectively came out at that time.

There were fewer cars on the road then. (the rise of more vehicles and little more road is well known... https://www.brookings.edu/research/t...rnment-can-do/ )

Those were great times for cyclists... although also admittedly... MADD had not made their stand against drunk driving yet. And certainly effective bike lighting was still some time in the future. I know you toyed with a unique "tall" lighting system... I used multiple heavy flashing Belt Beacons and even an MOB strobe in an effort to "be seen" at night.

But yeah... beyond disco, the 70's into the '80s were good for cyclists.

Old 09-21-19, 06:03 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by genec
1978-1980... well before the ubiquitous driver distraction known as a "smartphone" was invented.
But yeah... beyond disco, the 70's into the '80s were good for cyclists.
Also well before 21st Century paranoia and unreasonable fear of bicycling induced by easy access to over-hyped threats and inflated estimates of bicycling risk via the Internet and social media; often actively promoted by bicycling enthusiasts as well as so-called bicycling advocates and/or so-called bicycling safety experts with their own agenda for exaggeration of bicycling risk.
Old 09-21-19, 08:11 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Rumble strips wake most drivers up.
Takes a fair few feet, though...
Old 09-21-19, 08:19 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Here's another article.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ough-1.5287735

But get a load of this quote

"The vehicle that struck the male pedestrian remained on the scene."

Nowhere in the article says anything about a driver.
Nowhere apart from twice...

''The driver remained on the scene.''

''Police say the driver remained at the scene.''

Who's criticizing who's journalism, here..?
Old 09-21-19, 03:23 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Nowhere apart from twice...

''The driver remained on the scene.''

''Police say the driver remained at the scene.''

Who's criticizing who's journalism, here..?
Article was updated on September 18th, the day after I had posted.

Two other people had confirmed my original post on Sept. 17th 9pm EDT.

Try this article.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/pedestrian-bus-collision-scarborough-1.5292837

No mention of any driver in the bus (Sept. 21, 2029 17:31 EDT).

Sept. 24, 2019 9:23 EDT no mention of driver in the car

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/pedestrian-collision-scarborough-golf-club-road-confederation-drive-1.5294842

Oct. 6, 2019 (22:43EDT)
Another article without mentioning any driver.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/pedestrian-dead-kawartha-lakes-struck-car-1.5311070

Oct. 9, 2019 (00:02 EDT)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/male-pedestrian-dead-brampton-1.5314327

"- Vehicle remained on scene"

Last edited by Daniel4; 10-08-19 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-29-19, 02:43 PM
bipedalconsumer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VARider54
So many of these comments blame the victim. This rider appeared to be doing everything right. He doesn't appear to be swerving, he has a red flasher on his bike, he's staying as far to the right as is reasonably possible. Two other vehicles passed him without incident. Nothing in this video makes me believe he is to share any of the blame. He shouldn't have to avoid being hit.

If you are overtaking anybody or anything from behind, you are responsible for avoiding a collision, especially if you are piloting 3500 pounds of steel and glass at 55mph. If there is one activity, other than some professional sports, where this is not true, I'd like to hear about it.
In a reasonable legal configuration designed to protect everyone using the road and to deter bad behaviour, accelerating a car with the sun in your eyes resulting in someone's injury could constitute criminal negligence.

If that sort of legal deterrent could be relied upon, then this kind of accident would probably rarely happen, as drivers would fear loss of driving privileges or jail time for cutting corners in a potentially dangerous way, but like in various other facets of law and society, certain segments are protected from this level of accountability, so worrying about blame just won't keep us safe.
Old 09-29-19, 10:03 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

It baffles me to think anyone would carry out their actions based on accountability politics. Perhaps one day i will lose out by my morally-orientated attitudes of common sense, but until then , they'll do me just fine.
In fact, self preservation alone has prevented me driving blind for more than a couple of seconds. The driver in the photo had been struggling for a few moments at least, seemingly quite some minutes, and that's simply inexcusable from any point - legal or otherwise.
Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 09-30-19, 03:50 AM
bipedalconsumer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
It baffles me to think anyone would carry out their actions based on accountability politics. Perhaps one day i will lose out by my morally-orientated attitudes of common sense, but until then , they'll do me just fine.
In fact, self preservation alone has prevented me driving blind for more than a couple of seconds. The driver in the photo had been struggling for a few moments at least, seemingly quite some minutes, and that's simply inexcusable from any point - legal or otherwise.
I just meant that I try to act according to realistic expectations. In my opinion the driver was probably grossly negligent, but that fact didn't prevent the cyclist from being run down, nor would it be terribly surprising if it happened again on the same stretch of highway.
Old 09-30-19, 08:08 PM
Daniel4

I bet if I posted in a driving forum that one should drive according to the conditions instead of trying the drive normally in bad conditions, I'd get a lot of disagreements.

Slowing down in traffic and getting honked at by your fellow drivers seems to be a fate worse than purgatory so one would rather run a cyclist over and simply state you didn't see him.

Here's an article where a driver jumped a curb and killed a pedestrian over a bottle of water at his feet.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...nced-1.4412121
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 09-30-19, 09:29 PM
bipedalconsumer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That story is so illustrative - there are so many things you could say about the case, about the driver, about how certain history and interests have led to such an arguably perverse reliance on individual motor vehicles that to require more training or make it otherwise more difficult to get licensed or raise the driving age would apparently put an unreasonable burden on people who putatively need this kind of transportation to fully participate in society.

Or you could just say nothing. The woman and her dog have tragically died, and the case has provided no deterrent to any current or future drivers from not taking their role as the pilot of a 3,000 lb speed machine deadly seriously. Rather, it has contributed to an already enormous body of such precedent for future judicial decisions in criminal trials.

Sometimes I even get angry at the weather... but a wise cyclist can only assume that all drivers are poorly trained, reckless, and immune from prosecution.
Old 10-01-19, 06:05 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts

-mr. bill
Old 10-01-19, 10:31 AM
Daniel4

Yesterday, I did what I had suggested in several threads.

I wrote to my Ontario MPP to support Private Member's Bill 62, Protecting Vulnerable Road Users Act.

I stated several collisions in which there appeared to be nothing done against drivers who cause the death of pedestrians as compared to jail sentences when the victims are inside motor vehicles.