Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Synapse or Domane SL5

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Synapse or Domane SL5

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-19, 02:51 PM
cma379

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Synapse or Domane SL5

I am looking for a comfortable bike to ride on long distances. I am trying to decide between the Cannondale Synapse or the Trek Domane SL5. Similar priced bikes but just trying to get others opinions. Thanks
Old 10-04-19, 05:19 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
I don't think you'll find any big advantage or disadvantage to either one other than how they fit and what shop you like better. Those would be my criteria.
Old 10-04-19, 05:50 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Only have experience with the Synapse and can find no fault with it. The fit of the bike is primary, and should be for everyone, but sadly, is not. Don't let parts and carbon foo foo bits woo you. If you are comfortable on a bike, it will ride like a Cadillac or Ferrari as it is intended, however if the fit is not correct the Ferrari ride will become a Chevy and the Cadillac will become a Plymouth.
Old 10-04-19, 08:09 PM
hefeweizen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Synapse is nice but what about a Topstone?
You can run 28-30mm tires for long distance road
or
you can run at least 37mm for go anywhere.
Old 10-04-19, 08:15 PM
cma379

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hefeweizen
or
I was at the shop today discussing the top stone but the employee was pushing me away from the top stone due to the weight of the bike and what I am mainly using it for.
Old 10-04-19, 09:11 PM
Joroz001

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I generally think cannon dale is a better value than trek
Old 10-05-19, 05:34 AM
hefeweizen

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Wonder why they made the topstone so heavy?

Last edited by hefeweizen; 10-05-19 at 06:21 AM.
Old 10-05-19, 07:34 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I always recommend that folks take a potential purchase for a spin. You may find that you just feel more comfortable on one, or that it seems to handle better, or that, as alluded to above, it just seems to fit your body pretty well even before a proper fitting. Somebody you know may recommend a Cervelo. But when you get on it, it just doesn't feel right. You just don't really dig the bike, even though it's a Cervelo and, therefore, you should love it. Choosing a bike is, in my opinion, like picking out clothes. It is a completely individual choice and everyone's preferences, styles, and priorities are a little different. Just because a bike is from a big name manufacturer is no guarantee that bike is the right one for you. So, check them out if at all possible. It could save you some heartache. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-05-19, 08:30 AM
cma379

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just rode the synapse and it rode great. I’m going to ride the Domane now before I make my overall decision.
Likes For cma379:
Old 10-05-19, 09:49 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I test drove both bikes and I preferred the Trek even with the weight penalty. IsoSpeed front and rear adds weight but may increase comfort. You can’t go wrong with either bike.
Old 10-06-19, 11:47 AM
noOriginalNames

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Both are great bikes, ride them both and see which one you like the most/fits the best. Once you start looking at higher quality bikes, like those made by the likes of Cannondale, Trek, Giant, Cervelo etc they are all "good" bikes. You need to find the one that suits you and your use for the bike the best. I think that is best done with a series of test rides. If you can, take them for a longer ride, not just around the block. In my experiences most shops are alright with that as long as you tell them upfront you are going for a longer ride and let them know where you are going. If they are not alright with that, then maybe you need to find a different shop.
Old 10-07-19, 05:04 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I test rode both 3 years ago, went with a Domane SL6 disc. I've done a few centuries on it, lots of 75+ mile rides here in Maryland and still loving it. The geometry of the Domane (in my case a 54cm frame) just seemed to fit me more, and I really do like the feel of the ISOspeed front and rear.

I weighe 230 lbs and was worried about reliability. Originally, there was a plastic cable guide on the bottom bracket that kept snapping and the LBS would replace under Trek warranty - Trek improved the part and no problems since. After three years and about 8,000 miles I just recently broke a rear spoke on the Metro Vision 40 wheels. That has me concerned, since often 1 spoke breaking means others are not far behind and I might have to have the wheel rebuilt. I really love those wheels so far, though.

The 2020 modelss have that awesome downtube storage compartment!
Old 10-07-19, 08:32 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Note that the new 2020 Domane can fit up to 700x38c tires with 4mm clearance all around (an improvement over the last model). And it has a threaded T47 bottom bracket, so no creaks. These are huge advantages for me, and would make me recommend the Domane over the Synapse.

But I think I like Cannondale's approach to frame dampening better than Trek's. And as others have mentioned, a Cannondale is more bike for the money, typically.
Old 10-07-19, 08:36 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Originally Posted by hefeweizen
or
The new Domane fits up to 38mm. Some think it is going to cannibalize the market for the Checkpoint.
Old 10-07-19, 10:08 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
If one plans on riding rough dirt roads, two track or single track, there is a real need for 38mm tires or wider, however on pavement or groomed dirt roads without carrying heavy loads, 28 mm is just fine. I have commuted years and years on 28mm tires without any issues. For some, the wide the better, but this is not usually needed on group rides and daily rides. Why turn the added weight when there is no need for it? My touring bike handles 38mm tires, but it also carries heavy loads. Before using 38mm tires we always toured on 32mm tires.
Old 10-07-19, 11:21 AM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Trek for ISO speed, flexibility in tire sizes, and the best warranty in the industry.
Old 10-07-19, 12:13 PM
cma379

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
I test rode both 3 years ago, went with a Domane SL6 disc. I've done a few centuries on it, lots of 75+ mile rides here in Maryland and still loving it. The geometry of the Domane (in my case a 54cm frame) just seemed to fit me more, and I really do like the feel of the ISOspeed front and rear.

I weighe 230 lbs and was worried about reliability. Originally, there was a plastic cable guide on the bottom bracket that kept snapping and the LBS would replace under Trek warranty - Trek improved the part and no problems since. After three years and about 8,000 miles I just recently broke a rear spoke on the Metro Vision 40 wheels. That has me concerned, since often 1 spoke breaking means others are not far behind and I might have to have the wheel rebuilt. I really love those wheels so far, though.

The 2020 modelss have that awesome downtube storage compartment!
thanks for the reply. I ended up going with the Domane. It’s being built as we speak.
Likes For cma379:
Old 10-07-19, 01:25 PM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. It’s a great bike and trust you will really enjoy it.
Old 10-08-19, 08:32 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
If one plans on riding rough dirt roads, two track or single track, there is a real need for 38mm tires or wider, however on pavement or groomed dirt roads without carrying heavy loads, 28 mm is just fine. I have commuted years and years on 28mm tires without any issues. For some, the wide the better, but this is not usually needed on group rides and daily rides. Why turn the added weight when there is no need for it? My touring bike handles 38mm tires, but it also carries heavy loads. Before using 38mm tires we always toured on 32mm tires.
I'd say it's all about the flexibility to choose 38c tires if you want to. I don't think most Domane buyers would keep 38c tires on their bikes all of the time, but might switch wheel sets for various kinds of riding. Either way, I prefer a bike that will accept a wider range of tires, personally.

The 2020 Domane comes stock with 32c tires now, which look huge compared to what I'm used to seeing on road bikes.
Old 10-08-19, 09:13 AM
RLB2444

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Bingo. Good advice.

I you have reputable dealers close to you for both makes you win.

Service at the local Trek is benchmark.

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Only have experience with the Synapse and can find no fault with it. The fit of the bike is primary, and should be for everyone, but sadly, is not. Don't let parts and carbon foo foo bits woo you. If you are comfortable on a bike, it will ride like a Cadillac or Ferrari as it is intended, however if the fit is not correct the Ferrari ride will become a Chevy and the Cadillac will become a Plymouth.