Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Centurion Turbo Mystery, Please Help T-Mar!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-11, 07:13 PM
kkascha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Centurion Turbo off ebay for a combination birthday and college graduation gift to myself. I cannot find a single example of this bike anywhere online.

I have seen Sheldon Brown's website which lists the turbo as a 1983-1984 model, but the serial code, Y8C4684, seems to indicate a 1988 model in reference to T-Mar's serial code theory. The Ole group set seems to be around 1989.

Does anyone know anything about my bike like an original price? Absolutely any information would be appreciated. Thank you all for your time. Here is the link to the ended ebay auction, it has many high quality pictures and as you will see the bike was NOS so everything is clear. Thanks again!

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...nc7Lkw5so%253D

I tried to post a picture of the bike but this is my first post ever so I hope that works.
Old 04-26-11, 07:52 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
That is a mystery that I have been pondering along with RobbieTunes. We both have reason to be interested in Centurion bikes and particularly that model, or model name at least.

It appears that the Centurion name, graphics, model names etc were used outside the US but with considerable variation from the US. The 'Turbo' sold in the US was limited to the 83-84 market and was a simple higher-end racing bike. But there are those TT bikes like yours sold in Europe (seller was in Austria, if I'm not mistaken) and I have also seen a 'Centurion Turbo' from Australia that looks like a late 80s model, similar to an Ironman. (I suspect the 'Dave Scott Ironman' name would have meant exactly nothing there.)

Did Western States Industries, the US company, market the bikes to the Rest of the World but make changes to the product lines, or did they license the name and product line to other companies for different markets, or...what? Not that it matters!

I did find this 1993 Centurion catalog for the German-speaking market on a British website. By 1993 Western States seems to have dropped the Centurion name entirely, and was only using the Diamondback name, even for the few road bikes they still made. If you look through this catalog you'll see that, though by this time the age of lugged steel road bikes is largely over, there are still some distinctly familar model names: Accordo, LeMans, and even Equipe for a high end bike.

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/gal...g2_itemId=3407

btw: did you also post this query on a site called 'Cyclebetting.com'? I have a google alert for the words 'Centurion Turbo' and it just alerted me to an identical post there.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 04-26-11, 07:58 PM
RoboIsGod

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Transonic; Zunow Z-1; All-City Macho King ACE; De Bernardi Track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
WOW that bike rules! Good deal too, nice.
Old 04-26-11, 08:16 PM
twolve

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 2012 Goodrich Randoneuse, 2016 A-Train, 2022 Wilde Dream Engine, 2022 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 36 Posts
Hope you can figure out the mystery, but it looks like an awesome bike! Also congrats on graduating!
Old 04-26-11, 08:46 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,491 Posts
I believe it is Rowing season and T-Mar will be tied up for awhile.

wasn't the seller of those frames in Italy? maybe it was a European market bike or they had some frames built and never released them

that is great looking bike. are the components just white Suntour or are they Ole'. if that bike is as nice as the pics look I would say it is certainly worth $450USD

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 04-26-11 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-26-11, 09:13 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
the paint job definitely is late 80s, not early 80s.. also, unicrown fork
Old 04-26-11, 09:18 PM
kkascha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chicago Al,

Thanks! That all makes a lot of sense. Yes, the seller was from Austria (watching the tracking information was a nail biter). That catalog was really cool I loved the one mountain bike with the elevated chain stay. That reminds me of the Nishiki Alien and Ariel, and the drool worthy Yeti Ultimate. Very cool. Thanks so much!

Bianchigirll,

There is a seller currently listing 8 58cm frames identical to my bike, and yes he is from Italy, but my bike came as a complete built up bike. The parts are a complete and brand new Ole set, and I have played around with parting out the bike becuase it is so complete and in perfect condition. This truly is one of those "new" new old stock finds. I'm glad to hear you think its a good value for what I paid, I had a limit of very close to what I spent and I just couldn't find any current bike on the market with any character in my opinion that was within my price range. I know the technology isn't as light as a current road bike, but that's ok I don't mind.

RoboIsGod and twolve,

Thank you!
Old 04-26-11, 09:20 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,491 Posts
what size are the wheels? is the front smaller or is in an illusion?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-26-11, 09:21 PM
kkascha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chicago Al,

I did not post this anywhere else. Out of curiosity, could you estimate the quality of my Turbo verses the US one? I do not know much about tubing qualities. Would this be considered an entry level TT bike like a Shogun Kaze was?
Old 04-26-11, 09:22 PM
kkascha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The back wheel is 700c and the front is 650c. I'm not sure if that's because it's women's specific for toe overlap like a Terry bike or for aerodynamics like a "funny" bike.
Old 04-26-11, 10:30 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,600 Times in 3,785 Posts
Originally Posted by kkascha
I did not post this anywhere else.
It is posted on there. Probably some kind of Spam Bot program.

https://www.cyclebetting.com/?s=centu...&search=Search

Old 04-27-11, 10:32 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

kkascha, your next post is also on cyclebetting.com, word for word, though none of our replies are. Bill's right, it's some kind of aggregation program. The 'content' there all looks like stuff copied from other bike-related sites, the real purpose is apparently to get you to bet on bike races through the site. People bet on cycling races? Ha! Next thing you know, they'll be saying that bike racers take drugs!

Anyway, I don't have any particular advice to offer on your Turbo; it is cool but I would bet (!) that a major portion of the people anywhere who would appreciate it are regulars on this forum. Shimano Sante is certainly a desirable group, but I don't know about the copycat Ole'; you barely ever see it mentioned here.

If there is value in that bike I would think it's in the whole package. As you say it's likely unique, certainly in the US (assuming that you are). Have you received and ridden it yet? If so what's it like?

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 04-27-11, 09:24 PM
kkascha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had it shipped to my house and I'm still away at college for a little more. I have seen pictures from home and it looks just as good as the pictures in the listing, but I am VERY excited to put it together and go for a ride. I got a white disc wheel cover from wheelbuilder and think it's going to look pretty cool. I even think the original tires are in good condition so I will be riding it completely stock. If the frame was made in 1988, it's older than I am!
Old 04-27-11, 11:46 PM
PDXaero
French threaded

Bikes: many

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I see no reason to get rid of the ole group. it is not as nice as sante but very similar and a perfect fit for the bike. It is rare to see a full white group forf sale in one place be it shimano suntour or gipiemme, but even if it sold for a great price it would be hard to replicate a good groupset for the turbo at that cost. If you are lucky youcould get a full 8 speed dura ace group or somthing like that for the value of the ole group, but it may not be worth the time and effort when you have a great bike ready to go.
Keep the ole. Love the bike. Enjoy every ride you take.
Old 04-28-11, 02:03 PM
bennie222

Bikes: '16 Cannondale Slate, '12 Fisher Cronus, '85 Pinarello Triatlon, '98 Sampson Z7 Pro Road Ti , '96 Merlin Titanium, '95 Cannondale V500, '72 Gitane TdF, ' 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, '85 Centurion Ironman pink/yellow, ' 85 1st gen Fuso.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The call for T-MAR got me thinking that I hadn't seen any posts from him in awhile, and sure enough, his last post was 2/26. Anyone heard from him? He's an invaluable resource here and I hope nothing bad has happened, or that he's now hanging out on some other forum..
Old 04-28-11, 04:27 PM
Chicago Al 

T-Mar takes long breaks from time to time but has always returned. BG above suggests it's because he is involved with the sport of rowing. I have always assumed it was because 'M' gave him a mission.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 09-06-19, 02:42 PM
VintageTTfan

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by kkascha
The back wheel is 700c and the front is 650c. I'm not sure if that's because it's women's specific for toe overlap like a Terry bike or for aerodynamics like a "funny" bike.
It is a legitimate time trial bike and it thus for aerodynamics.
I have studied this bike because it is my holy grail bike and I own a couple of them.
Good information is very very hard to come by and I am always hunting for new information.
If anybody knows anything please post it.
Old 09-06-19, 03:09 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
watch out for Zombie threads
Old 09-06-19, 05:29 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
^^^^^

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 09-06-19, 06:10 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
OK , zombie big deal . Anyone have a picture ?
Old 09-06-19, 06:15 PM
VintageTTfan

Originally Posted by markwesti
OK , zombie big deal . Anyone have a picture ?
Thank you sir!

Old 09-06-19, 07:38 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Haha that's funny , ok my bad . I thought you guys were talking about a Turbo , but you are talking about a Turbo TT . I knew that but then I forgot or something .
Here is a cool thread , that I'm sure you have all seen and read but I really can't remember . https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...experts-5.html
I think this bike by @cdaniels is the best version of this bike I have ever seen . Allowing time for RT to finish up .

Old 09-06-19, 07:45 PM
VintageTTfan

Thanks for info

Thanks.
Likes For VintageTTfan:
Old 09-07-19, 06:48 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
A handful of these bicycles have surfaced in the past. The serial numbers all indicate 1988 manufacture by Yamaguchi of Japan. Circumstantial evidence suggests they originated with the German Centurion distributor, while the variety of builds suggest they were offered as a frameset. The S-shaped top tube, which is a cost concession that allows them to be built with standard lugs, in conjunction with the Tange Infinity tubeset and era, suggests an entry level TT frame.

For a more detailed discussion on these frames, please see; https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...experts-3.html
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 09-07-19, 08:43 AM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
There is that Greece one on ebay.. seller told me its the only one they have for sale. And here is the "Please somebody buy it..." before my mastercard goes in the red and it ends up in my hoard shed for 15 years. +1 waiting for Robbie's build!