Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

@Most Road Bikers: What is Your Hurry?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-11, 09:35 AM
dantolen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So as I casually pedal into Santa Cruz yesterday, enjoying the amazing coastline, with my 50 lbs of touring gear and guitar on my back, there was a constant slew of road bikers passing me. Some even moaned and groaned to me about the headwind. It was as if they were trying to break the landspeed record, eyes only on the pavement 10 feet in front of them, oblivious to the beautiful sunny day along the amazing coast. Most of them looked angry, as if they hated biking and they were just trying to get in their weekend miles. From my experience, it is much more enjoyable to spend all day getting in 80 miles with stops to meet people, experience the local life, and taste new local foods than to try to squeeze a century in half a day only to sit in front of my laptop for the rest of the day.

I can understand if you are a legit racer/ triathlete training for a race, but I know most recreational riders aren't.

Why does it seem that most road bikers I see are angry, in a hurry, oblivious to the beautiful world around them, and complain like 4 year olds about a 3 mph headwind?

I have nothing against road biking and have met some really chill people that ride road bikes, but I am talking about the other 80% of the road bikers I meet.
Old 09-11-11, 09:40 AM
dennisa

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Competitive nature plan an simple.
Old 09-11-11, 09:41 AM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Your average speed must be equal to or greater than 1% of the cost of your bicycle. It's a rule.
Old 09-11-11, 09:43 AM
fairymuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dantolen
Some even moaned and groaned to me about the headwind.
They spoke to you? Weird...
Old 09-11-11, 09:44 AM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A 110lbs blond riding her bike has a different perspective.
Old 09-11-11, 09:46 AM
danvuquoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
Your average speed must be equal to or greater than 1% of the cost of your bicycle. It's a rule.
I'm screwed.
Old 09-11-11, 09:48 AM
mymojo

Bikes: '10 Specialized Allez, '09 Cervelo S1, '93 Trek T200 (tandem), Rocky Mountain Metro 30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, all you roadies: you're riding your bikes wrong. Luckily, Dan is here to set you straight on the *only* correct way to do it.
Old 09-11-11, 09:48 AM
misterha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is why I love the bicycle. Something with 2 wheels produces so many different cultures and their own form of expression. Road bike, mtn bike, bmx, fixie, touring...etc
Those road bikers you saw may not look like they're enjoying it but they're in their own high right now, pushing their body and having a sufferfest. It's something hard to describe but the feeling after you suffer 36 miles of climbing, and pushing the pace is just great.

But keep doing what you're doing because I would love to just tour 80 miles and enjoy all the small things in life too.
Old 09-11-11, 09:55 AM
laserfj
Reasonably Slow...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Going more fast is more fun than going less fast.

Perhaps consider that many riders who are passing you have, at one point, tried riding slowly and decided they don't enjoy it as much.

More importantly, why do you care what I like?
Old 09-11-11, 09:57 AM
c_mack9

Bikes: 2013 Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i dont always go out to push the pace, sometimes i just chill and cruise. when im pushing the pace its because that is my workout for the day and i want to get at it. dan, some folks just take their workout seriously. nothing wrong with the way you tour but there's also nothing wrong with those people you saw getting their workout in. people are the same way in the gym. i get spaced out and keep silent when im in the middle of my weightlifting workout. taking it seriously is what brings progression. even though most dont compete, they still have the desire to improve.
Old 09-11-11, 09:58 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
1. Did they wave, too?
2. I spent my school years in Santa Cruz (2-12). Wind there is weak.
3. I hate wind.
4. Roadies probably think you're equally was weird for intentionally weighing your bike down.
5. Santa Cruz may be the only place left that never truly left the 70's. Santa Cruz makes Boulder look like Colorado Springs, politically.
6. Seriously, a guitar on your back? You are in exactly the right place. Set up camp, never leave.
Old 09-11-11, 09:58 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by laserfj
Going more fast is more fun than going less fast.
+1
Old 09-11-11, 10:00 AM
Velo Gator

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
You have to go fast so you can post about it here, +2mph.
Old 09-11-11, 10:00 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11969 Post(s)
Liked 6,646 Times in 3,483 Posts
Originally Posted by mymojo
Hey, all you roadies: you're riding your bikes wrong. Luckily, Dan is here to set you straight on the *only* correct way to do it.
He didn't say that at all.

Originally Posted by Velo Gator
You have to go fast so you can post about it here, +20mph.
fixed.
Old 09-11-11, 10:02 AM
danvuquoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Anatomy of the Perfect Troll

So as I casually pedal into Santa Cruz yesterday, enjoying the amazing coastline, with my 50 lbs of touring gear and guitar on my back, there was a constant slew of road bikers passing me.
Excuses, or if you'd rather put it -- protection from would be critics. Who can argue against 50lbs of extra weight and a scenery?

Some even moaned and groaned to me about the headwind. It was as if they were trying to break the landspeed record, eyes only on the pavement 10 feet in front of them, oblivious to the beautiful sunny day along the amazing coast. Most of them looked angry, as if they hated biking and they were just trying to get in their weekend miles.
Story & targeted attack on the core users of 41.

From my experience, it is much more enjoyable to spend all day getting in 80 miles with stops to meet people, experience the local life, and taste new local foods than to try to squeeze a century in half a day only to sit in front of my laptop for the rest of the day.
Hypocrisy -- and an opening for pages and pages of ad hominems.

I can understand if you are a legit racer/ triathlete training for a race, but I know most recreational riders aren't
Inability to see, or inability to admit to anything but polar ends of a spectrum.

Why does it seem that most road bikers I see are angry, in a hurry, oblivious to the beautiful world around them, and complain like 4 year olds about a 3 mph headwind?
Further insult and provocation.

I have nothing against road biking and have met some really chill people that ride road bikes, but I am talking about the other 80% of the road bikers I meet.
Innocence and generalizations.

The troll in this one is strong, I expect many pages from this thread.
Old 09-11-11, 10:03 AM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1. angry because the slow tourer is taking up too much trail
2. cannot see the beautiful world due to the stink and scraps being flung from the slow tourer
3. that headwind pushes the stench of the slow tourer deep into the nostrils

seriously though, most people on road bikes like to go fast because they are exercising.

...something about a heart rate. its dumb. i would choose a rivendells over a sirvelo
Old 09-11-11, 10:05 AM
dantolen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok so it makes much more sense to me now, many road bikers are after more of the workout aspect of the ride than the sightseeing.

It just looked like most were angry, but when I am on the treadmill that is how I look also.

Cool, well to each his/her own, keep riding your own way and most importantly less car driving! and don't be weirded out if some guy with a guitar in a green headband with lots of gear on a hybrid bike gives you a peace sign and says "hey hey!" as you pass
Old 09-11-11, 10:07 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I totally get the relaxed pace thing. But what I can't understand is why anyone would want to carry 50 lbs of crap and a musical instrument if the activity is bike riding...
Old 09-11-11, 10:08 AM
Velo Gator

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Ok so it makes much more sense to me now, many road bikers are after more of the workout aspect of the ride than the sightseeing.
Old 09-11-11, 10:09 AM
Gregory Earl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So as I casually pedal into Santa Cruz yesterday, enjoying the amazing coastline, with my 50 lbs of touring gear and guitar on my back, there was a constant slew of road bikers passing me. Some even moaned and groaned to me about the headwind. It was as if they were trying to break the landspeed record, eyes only on the pavement 10 feet in front of them, oblivious to the beautiful sunny day along the amazing coast. Most of them looked angry, as if they hated biking and they were just trying to get in their weekend miles. From my experience, it is much more enjoyable to spend all day getting in 80 miles with stops to meet people, experience the local life, and taste new local foods than to try to squeeze a century in half a day only to sit in front of my laptop for the rest of the day.

I can understand if you are a legit racer/ triathlete training for a race, but I know most recreational riders aren't.

Why does it seem that most road bikers I see are angry, in a hurry, oblivious to the beautiful world around them, and complain like 4 year olds about a 3 mph headwind?..........
To honestly answer your question, I didn't speed 3000 dollars to cruise. If I wanted to cruise I would have bought a cruiser. There's nothing wrong with cruising but I just can't convince my Cannondale Synapse 3 of that.
Old 09-11-11, 10:14 AM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
I totally get the relaxed pace thing. But what I can't understand is why anyone would want to carry 50 lbs of crap and a musical instrument if the activity is bike riding...
Check his blog. He's on a very long ride. And he's traveling fast enough to have brief chats with the roadies passing him.

Hybrid riding, helmetless troll.
Old 09-11-11, 10:15 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Riding to go faster and "train" or riding to take in the scenery and have fun are both valid excuses for biking, and both pertinent to the road forum (aka the 41). It is as simple as that. Neither one is better than the other and just because you do one doesn't mean you can't do the other on your next ride.

P.S., don't crash with that guitar on your back. It will probably hurt.
Old 09-11-11, 10:17 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
You never bike toured?
Old 09-11-11, 10:21 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11969 Post(s)
Liked 6,646 Times in 3,483 Posts
Let me just say this . . . there's different strokes for different folks. Everybody is not the same. Some like it hot, etc.

If we can't have a decent discussion in this thread and exchange thoughts and feelings without chaos, anger, bitterness, personal attacks, and mob behavior . . . this thread will get shut down.

Have a nice day.

Edit: btw, so far so good, for the most part. See, tolerance isn't that hard.

Last edited by BillyD; 09-11-11 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-11-11, 10:26 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Were they exceeding some speed limit?
Why do people I see on the road in Porsches sometimes drive very fast?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.