Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Training for long climbs with no such climbs around?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-12, 04:52 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Hi guys,

Before my wife and I did Mt Ventoux, we had trained by doing 'Nandi' repeats. 'Nandi' is the only hill where we live. It's 7.5km long, overal about 5% with upper 3km being about 6.5 or so, bottom 4 being 5%, and a small downhill between the two. We would do whole climb repeats, upper half repeats, lower half repeats etc.

Much later a couple of friends said that those kind of repeats have not much value, and better to do a single climb at threshold or above. Doesn't make sense to me. How do you get the simulation of a long climb then?

So, suggestions, links, workouts, anything you guys can suggest as training for a long climb when you have no such climb around? By long, I mean 20-25km.
Old 06-28-12, 05:27 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Is it regularly windy where you are?
Old 06-28-12, 05:31 AM
deepakvrao

Windy in this season, yes.
Old 06-28-12, 05:43 AM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Namaste. I've used my Kurt Kinetics trainer at an angle. But this is boring, no fun and certainly a fourth-tier effort in training for hills.

Wish I had more to add, other than to say I wish I had bike when I was in Ooty. Lovely hills, too far away though.

Cheers,

Essex
Old 06-28-12, 05:46 AM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Fortunately training for my trip to France last year I was able to get into the hills most weekends (climb an hours drive away - 16.8km climb at 6.4% where I'd ride 3 repeats) plus repeats of shorter climbs one midweek evening similar to your local 'Nandi'.

Supplemented these with rides on windier days into a headwind - riding on the tops and at a cadence and power similar to what I climb at.
Old 06-28-12, 05:46 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
all hill repeats have "value".
Old 06-28-12, 05:51 AM
dnuzzomueller
Banned.

Bikes: something

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did Tourmalet, Col de Jeux Plan, and Grand Colombier when I went to france. And the best I have is a .8 mile 9% grade around here. I found that the experience of doing my shorter climb at a pace that was just on the cusp of my threshold was fine training for a longer climb. It just is a question of being mentally capable of doing the climb, rather then physically.
Old 06-28-12, 06:36 AM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I live in Wisconsin and travel to the mountains to ride every year. Just do standard interval training. Yesterday was 3 x 10 min hard efforts. I will often do some longer efforts in bigger gears than normal. That, of course, and a good aero base (most important of all).

I have done winter biking trips (10,000 ft Haleakala climb last winter) by doing similiar interval training on the trainer.
Old 06-28-12, 06:40 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I still think general W/kg work, some big chainring workouts and multiple tempo climbs of Nandi will be more than ample.
Old 06-28-12, 06:45 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
I think Nandi repeats are ok.

One of my club-mates recently did an event where he climbed l'Alpe d'Huez 6 (six!) times.

He did great.

He trained just by riding and doing our local climbs, all of which are 3Km or less.
Old 06-28-12, 08:14 AM
deepakvrao

Thanks guys. Also posted this on our local forum, and got similar advise.

Essex, when were you in Ooty? Lots of climbs around there. Done the main climb only once though. Its a bit of a drive, 6 hours one way.
Old 06-28-12, 08:18 AM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Totally fine. ALthough just going on a trainer at a reasonable pace is more than enough for hill climbing.
Old 06-28-12, 08:22 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Multiple short repeats should be fine and you can always put your trainer or stationary bike on a semi-hard resistance and ride it for a couple of hours.
Old 06-28-12, 08:43 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,477 Times in 3,223 Posts
Originally Posted by dnuzzomueller
I did Tourmalet, Col de Jeux Plan, and Grand Colombier when I went to france. And the best I have is a .8 mile 9% grade around here. I found that the experience of doing my shorter climb at a pace that was just on the cusp of my threshold was fine training for a longer climb. It just is a question of being mentally capable of doing the climb, rather then physically.
You lucky dog. >jealous<
Old 06-28-12, 08:53 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
You lucky dog. >jealous<
Come to SoCal and climb Mt. Baldy, not as "storied" as Ventoux or Tourmalet, but a hell of a lot of fun!
Old 06-28-12, 09:18 AM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You can do fine by doing a lot of training without long climbs. I live right at the base of a mountain range (and can ride Mt. Baldy any time I feel like it), but the period when I was a really strong climber was when I was doing the least climbing ever. I was doing a ton of track intervals and motorpacing (both 2-3 times/week), and a lot of track racing, leaving little time to spend climbing. But I was about the fittest I've ever been, and could climb with the skinny guys a lot of the time.
Old 06-28-12, 09:50 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by bitingduck
You can do fine by doing a lot of training without long climbs. I live right at the base of a mountain range (and can ride Mt. Baldy any time I feel like it), but the period when I was a really strong climber was when I was doing the least climbing ever. I was doing a ton of track intervals and motorpacing (both 2-3 times/week), and a lot of track racing, leaving little time to spend climbing. But I was about the fittest I've ever been, and could climb with the skinny guys a lot of the time.
This. Climbing is all about power/weight and you don't need a hill to develop power. Look up 2x20 intervals and do these as hard and often as you can.
Old 06-28-12, 09:55 AM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if i was focusing on long climbs i would honestly just go and do 2x20's or 3x20's in the 53/11. I only have 2-6 minute hills where i live, so i can get short climb work in.
Old 06-28-12, 10:02 AM
fly:yes/land:no
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the point above regarding cadence is on to something. trying to put out power at 60rpm when you are used to 90rpm is going to ruin your day quickly. make sure you are comfortable riding at the cadence that you anticipate you will be riding on ventoux.
Old 06-28-12, 06:06 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by fly:yes/land:no
the point above regarding cadence is on to something. trying to put out power at 60rpm when you are used to 90rpm is going to ruin your day quickly. make sure you are comfortable riding at the cadence that you anticipate you will be riding on ventoux.
And/or get a bike with proper gearing so you can ride at your normal freely chosen cadence.
Old 06-28-12, 06:25 PM
JMR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can do strength work on the flat (particularly if it is into the wind), just put it in the biggest gear you can push at 50-60 RPM... start with 20 minute intervals, go to 30, 40, 60 as you get stronger.

JMR
Old 06-28-12, 06:30 PM
JibberJim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
And/or get a bike with proper gearing so you can ride at your normal freely chosen cadence.
Unquestionably this, if you ever think you're going to be riding at 60rpm you brought the wrong bike and just wasted the money on the trip, don't need to bother training if you're going to go with that attitude it'll be just as tough.

As some others have said, anything that long is just an aerobic workout, so aerobic work is all you need to do, lots of threshold efforts, a 7.5km 5% climb is presumably taking you 20 odd minutes so that would be a pretty good workout - slightly better than the same on the flat, but not really anything that makes any real odds in the grand scheme of things. Some solid 25 and 50 mile TT's would be good too as that's how long you'll be pedalling for potentially...
Old 06-28-12, 08:04 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,477 Times in 3,223 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Come to SoCal and climb Mt. Baldy, not as "storied" as Ventoux or Tourmalet, but a hell of a lot of fun!
Oh, I saw the ATOC. Awesome!
Old 06-28-12, 09:55 PM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JibberJim
Unquestionably this, if you ever think you're going to be riding at 60rpm you brought the wrong bike and just wasted the money on the trip, don't need to bother training if you're going to go with that attitude it'll be just as tough.
Disagree. Everyone has their preferred cadence -hills and on the flats.

I did swap out my rear derailleur for a mid length cage so I could fit a 13-29 and still use my standard cranks (wasn't swapping my SRM for a compact as I wanted the power for pacing) for my month in the French Alps last year. Usually here at home I'll still ride 11-23 or at most 12-25 in the hills and I find it totally adequate.

I don't have my files in front of me so can't confirm what my cadence was on the steeper climbs, but many of the climbs in the French Alps have long stretches hovering around 9-10% (i.e. Mont Ventoux from Bedoin) and more. I used the 39*29 liberally, but at no time felt the need for an easier gear - even though I expect much of this was riding with a cadence even as low as in the 50's.
Old 06-28-12, 09:57 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
Oh, I saw the ATOC. Awesome!
It is our own Mt Ventoux!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.