Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Multiple hit and run accidents outside Chicago yesterday.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-14, 02:29 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts

And it was a 63 year old woman who caused them. I heard them mention on the news last night she didn't think she had hit anyone, but I don't think she fooled anyone.
Woman accused of hitting car, scooter, injuring cyclist in Evanston hit-and-run crashes | abc7chicago.com
Old 04-07-14, 02:43 PM
Metal Man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
charges are pending against her.
Thank god she hit the Toyota.
Old 04-07-14, 04:52 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
It's too soon to make judgements. Given her age, it's entirely possible she suffered something like a TIA and wasn't aware of what was happening. She's in the hospital now, and if they confirm a medical condition odds are charges will be dismissed.

So either she needs a good doctor, or she needs a good lawyer, we just don't know which yet.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-08-14, 12:37 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Possibly caring for an elderly parent, then she behaves like this. I smell premeditation on the part of the driver. I feel bad for the potentially elderly parent.
Old 04-08-14, 07:19 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
She's in the hospital now, and if they confirm a medical condition odds are charges will be dismissed.
I would rather see her spend time in court, get convicted of the charges against her, at the very least, get handed a suspended stiff sentence with a very lengthy probation with stipulations in not being able drive any motor vehicle during that time, and if she gets caught driving during her probation, she gets to spend some time thinking things over in the clinker.
Old 04-08-14, 11:08 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
I would rather see her spend time in court, get convicted of the charges against her, at the very least, get handed a suspended stiff sentence with a very lengthy probation with stipulations in not being able drive any motor vehicle during that time, and if she gets caught driving during her probation, she gets to spend some time thinking things over in the clinker.
So, let me see if I understand you. If it turns out she had a TIA, or a mini-stroke, or other clear medical brain issue that made her unaware of what was happening, you still want her convicted of something. You do understand that that would mean tossing out 200 years of jurisprudence.

OTOH- I understand the need to remove impaired drivers from the roads, but this would be through a civil, not criminal procedure. I don't know about where you live, but in NYS it's common for judges to ask drivers to voluntarily surrender their licenses, or to ask the DMV to cancel them when there's evidence that they are no longer safe by virtue of medical impairment.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-08-14, 09:28 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by FBinNY
So, let me see if I understand you. If it turns out she had a TIA, or a mini-stroke, or other clear medical brain issue that made her unaware of what was happening, you still want her convicted of something. You do understand that that would mean tossing out 200 years of jurisprudence.

OTOH- I understand the need to remove impaired drivers from the roads, but this would be through a civil, not criminal procedure. I don't know about where you live, but in NYS it's common for judges to ask drivers to voluntarily surrender their licenses, or to ask the DMV to cancel them when there's evidence that they are no longer safe by virtue of medical impairment.
As of now, I'm going on the basis of what law enforcement is suspecting, that the motorist's driving actions was due to mental health issues rather than from a stroke, but whatever the judicial system decides on the cause of her driving action, that the system puts incentives in place to keep her from operating a motor vehicle for a very long time.
Old 04-09-14, 07:21 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
No matter her excuse, she should have her license removed!!!
Old 04-09-14, 08:15 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by rydabent
No matter her excuse, she should have her license removed!!!
That in itself is of little deterrence to many motorists today, along with revoking her license, strong incentives need to be in place to keep her from operating a motor vehicle. I've posted this many times, our state highway patrol alone issues over 400,000 tickets annually to motorists driving unlicensed or on a revoked license.
Old 04-09-14, 08:32 AM
JennyC53

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They should revoke her license, everyone can have an excuse but it cannot change what happened and cannot be used to justify her actions.