Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on tube build quality of Marin MTB.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-23, 04:37 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 641 Posts

Would like some thoughts on the tube build quality of this Marin Bobcat Trail MTB. The frame is labeled Tange Custom Triple Butted chro-mo built for Marin made in Taiwan with serial number C85DS0661 on the underside of the BB, the fork is labeled special chr-mo Rockstar. Really nice welds and nicely done rear drops and braze on's with 27.0 seat post size fairly light about 25lbs for the whole bike. I'm interested mainly on thoughts on the frame set since I'm considering upgrading the components and keeping the bike considering how nice the frame set is I'm surprised that it didn't come with nicer components.

Old 04-25-23, 04:58 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Marin have, in my opinion, always punched above their weight and speced really good frames. I agree the welds look very nice. Made by Giant? Others would probably know by the serial number. I'd think the components should operate fine, but if they are on their last legs, yes, get some fresh Deore and fit it up. Deore XT can be had pretty cheap I think .XTR seems still to draw a premium for the stuff that's not all wrung out. I think a lot of mid-high got XT and were not really used much. people with XTR used it.

(its also a handsome bike- has a those classic good looks)

Last edited by jetboy; 04-25-23 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-25-23, 05:05 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
Not saying it's made of the same stuff, but my 90s mtb is made with Tange Ultimate Superlight mtb tubing and it also takes a 27.0mm post. 0.8mm/0.5mm butting profile.

Old 04-28-23, 04:38 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

As a follow up I completed the build and got everything working and looking real nice and pretty much vintage correct for only a couple of dollars out of pocket for some nail polish touch up paint. Rides pretty good and curbs just under 25lbs so I will be keeping it and get a season or so of riding out of it for only a couple of bucks.

I really like the clean simple lines with just a touch of color on this one.

Likes For zukahn1:
Old 04-28-23, 06:45 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked 3,582 Times in 1,423 Posts
Whatever it is, it is far better than my bike.

Reminds of those nice small, clean weld beads I used to see on all those mid-school bmx bikes I grew up drooling over in the bike stores.

A lot of times, manufacturers would use component groups to differentiate tiers of models than the frame, and for several mid-tier to upper-tier (but not the top), use the top-of-the-line frame but with downgraded components. Many such examples.

Old 04-28-23, 07:11 PM
zukahn1 

As a bike I pretty much chose this one as a salvage bike to build up based on how nice the welds and brazing were done both are couple steps above what you would expect from this level MTB.
Old 04-29-23, 03:10 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 654 Posts
It is very good and durable frame which will outlast many modern carbon MTB frames, you can always upgrade it with higher quality components. A triple butted tange frame set is something of very good quality.
Old 04-29-23, 05:39 AM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 2,283 Times in 1,324 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Just FYI those Alivio cranks are under recall notice for failure https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/infor...12-cranks.html If you plan to keep this, you should find a replacement.
Old 04-29-23, 08:38 AM
zukahn1 

Originally Posted by Clang
Just FYI those Alivio cranks are under recall notice for failure https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/infor...12-cranks.html If you plan to keep this, you should find a replacement.
Thanks for the info I was thinking about upgrading changing the crank set since it is notch or two below frame and other components quality wise.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 04-29-23, 04:48 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Clang
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Thanks for the info I was thinking about upgrading changing the crank set since it is notch or two below frame and other components quality wise.
No purchase necessary. As a CPSC recall, Shimano is still obligated to replace them. Upon receival of your crank, they will ship a box that contains a new bottom bracket, crank, front derailleur, and chain.

If you go to a trusted shop, they can call a warranty in and have the crank shipped without sending your current one back (cross shipped). I would say that they would need to really trust you, because failure to return the warrantied crank in a timely fashion gets them charged for the warranty kit.