Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

newbie here saying hello, and asking for bike choice advice

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-14, 06:17 AM
bushybushy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hello

i havent cycled for years and want to get some done for fitness. so perhaps a bike for going by the river at weekends, or going to the park, maybe do some events like a london to brighton, or something like that.

i am not sold on the idea of road cycling, as i think it might be a bit dangerous, but who knows, maybe i will try it and like it.

so i have been doing a lot of reading, and have decided to get a condor terra x, hopefully it can have mud guards fitted if the weather demands it, and a small luggage bag over the back seat, thats possible (i think :s). i also like the idea i can chose my color and other options if i go with condor.

i feel that it will give the best of both worlds, be able to do some road and some off road.

so, please tell me why, if there is any reason you feel that i should not get this bike. please tell me what you would get instead, and why?

thanks alot
Old 04-01-14, 06:59 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a flat bar hybrid bike with the same reasoning and now I never ride it. I ended up buying a road bike which I love and a mountain bike which I also love. A hybrid will do it all comfortably but won't do either as well as a bike specifically designed for the type of riding you are doing. If you can only get one bike a hybrid bike will be a great compromise.
Old 04-01-14, 07:51 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
The condor terra x is a cyclocross bike with disc brakes, right? Good choice. Do you have a web link to the bike?
Old 04-01-14, 08:09 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Condor Terra X will serve you well. Just add interrupter brakes for your upright convenience.
Old 04-01-14, 01:29 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
Pretty costly bike for someone who hasn't ridden in years

"i haven't cycled for years"

I looked up the bike you mention because it is not a common one here in the US and was rather surprised at the cost - £799.99 which equates to US$1,328 for just the frameset alone, not the complete bike. It is a very nice hand-built frame. I've come across a lot of friends who, knowing how much I enjoy cycling, thought that it might be nice to get back on a bike after years of not riding one. I have helped them get a bike but would never suggest one of them buy anything so expensive unless they were absolutely sure they were going to use it a lot. As I ride around the town I where I live, I see many bikes just sitting in garages and which rarely get ridden. It might be wiser to find a decent bike costing a lot less to find out if will ride it. Otherwise it may end up a costly mistake.