Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for Mio Link wrist Heart Monitor

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-14, 11:35 AM
Rich Gibson 

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Recently I ordered and received the Mio Link wrist heart monitor ($99.00). Google it for a detailed description. Also there is a comprehensive review on DCRainmaker.com. I'm pleased to report that it has replaced my Garmin chest strap. I've taken it out on two rides now, a road ride and a trainer ride at home. Each time it worked as described. The accompanying software (for the Android in my case) isn't very useful. As is usually the case Apple products get the first priority. The device pops out of the wrist band and you place it on a charging plate. The plate has a magnet so the device stays in place during charging. The software permits you to enter your age as well as training ranges which it sends to the Mio Link. In my case (aged 72) it appears to roughly subtract my age from 220. It shows 150 as my MHR. I've found another formula which appears to be a bit more accurate placing it around 160. The technology uses some sort of bright green light to sense pulse. Apparently they provide the mechanism for a number of other wrist heart rate products.

Nevertheless I'm immensely pleased with the Mio Link. With my Garmin if I try to get too many rides between washing the chest strap it cuts off in mid ride (possibly due to the electrolyte level from perspiration) ruining my record taking (I sometimes don't glance down at my phone for extended periods). I normally use ipBike as my application and it runs fine. With ipBike unless you have a cadence/speed sensor spinning the software will not begin tracking; all you see is the real time current pulse. However there are several apps which can record one's resting heart rate.

All in all a valuable tool.

Rich
Old 05-05-14, 04:37 PM
Sweenmystr

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the review Rich

I got a edge 200 and don't want to upgrade just for the chest strap monitor. I'll do a little more research into the item you have.

Cheers
Old 05-05-14, 08:45 PM
ChargerDawg

Bikes: Madone 5.9, Sequoia, World Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the alpha 1, it is a wonderful device. Much better than any strap hands down. I rarely look at the watch display as it is transmitted to the phone mount. I would have bought the link if it was available last year.

Check you app that you are using, some apps work far better than others.

Last edited by ChargerDawg; 05-05-14 at 08:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-09-14, 11:58 AM
myqlj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have the Mio Link, and am also looking for the best app. It supports BlueTooth Smart and Ant+. The app can be used to customize the heart rate zones, which are indicated by the color of the light flash on the strap.

I would say an ideal app for use with the Link would be Cycle PowerMeter by Innovative App Design; but only if your phone supports Ant+(like the Galaxy 4 does). The app doesn't yet use BlueTooth Smart. It's a $10 app, but well worth it, as it detects cadence using the accelerometer, and approximates power wattage as well.

MapMyRide is an app that supports BlueTooth Smart, so it's another option, but has no built-in cadence or wattage detection.