Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

1988 Schwinn Le Tour

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

1988 Schwinn Le Tour

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-24, 04:46 PM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
1988 Schwinn Le Tour

Here i go again putting too much time and money into an old mediocre frameset

It has a 116mm spindle by calipers.....well.....115.8mm. I dont show that shimano offers a sealed bb in this length. I see some generic brands but id rather keep my nuts in tact meaning have it not break off under load.
Anyway....would a 115mm be "close enough" I plan to run the stock Sugino VX 130 crank arms for now and ill probably put a NW chainring on the front....and do a 9speed in the rear and run friction to keep it a bit more budget friendly.
Old 04-13-24, 08:49 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4214 Post(s)
Liked 3,889 Times in 2,321 Posts
You're moving from a double or triple ring set up? Can you establish an OK chain line (and with a single ring the chainlines really need to line up better than with 2 or 3 rings) with the current BB to check and adjust from that?

Not sure I'd be worried about a BB axle fracture but I do like nice stuff too so how much to spend where is a personal choice. Andy
Old 04-16-24, 09:45 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 339 Posts
If you're switching to a double-ring crank, you should use a shorter spindle, 108-110 mm. If this is a triple, 115 mm will be fine, as long as the inner chainring doesn't hit the chainstay.
Old 04-16-24, 01:48 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by scale
Here i go again putting too much time and money into an old mediocre frameset
It has a 116mm spindle by calipers.....well.....115.8mm. I dont show that shimano offers a sealed bb in this length. I see some generic brands but id rather keep my nuts in tact meaning have it not break off under load.
Anyway....would a 115mm be "close enough" I plan to run the stock Sugino VX 130 crank arms for now and ill probably put a NW chainring on the front....and do a 9speed in the rear and run friction to keep it a bit more budget friendly.
Switching from 2x to 1x? You should use a slightly shorter bbkt spindle for correct chainline, assuming it was correct to start with. Are there horror stories about aftermarket bbkts failing catastrophically? I've never had a problem, nor heard of one.
Old 04-16-24, 03:23 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4214 Post(s)
Liked 3,889 Times in 2,321 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
Switching from 2x to 1x? You should use a slightly shorter bbkt spindle for correct chainline, assuming it was correct to start with. Are there horror stories about aftermarket bbkts failing catastrophically? I've never had a problem, nor heard of one.
I thought the OP was wanting to use a X2 crank arm with one ring. Hense my comment about which ring position was going to be used and how that then lined up with the rear chainline. Andy
Old 04-17-24, 01:34 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I thought the OP was wanting to use a X2 crank arm with one ring. Hense my comment about which ring position was going to be used and how that then lined up with the rear chainline. Andy
I love a mystery.
Old 04-18-24, 01:38 AM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
What steel spindles break off under load? Old Campy titanium one? If running the same crankset, what's wrong with the original bb?
SunTour XC sealed bottom brackets from 1985 +/- had a reputation for breaking spindles/axles. I didn't know this until a Moab trip taught me otherwise! Luckily I didn't crash, nor was injured hitting the sharp spindle end protruding from my BB and could coast most of the rest of the ride, as we were on the downhill on Porcupine Rim. (Oh and SunTour sealed bearing pedal spindles broke too! One guy spent weeks in the Alaskan outback pushing on his pedal spindle nub after it broke! Poor guy.)
Old 04-18-24, 07:05 AM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
What steel spindles break off under load? Old Campy titanium one? If running the same crankset, what's wrong with the original bb?
The original is pitted beyond use. Lots of cheap knock off spindles being offered. Id rather get something name brand with a good reputation like shimano is all i meant.