Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Paul thumbie with campy?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Paul thumbie with campy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-09, 08:23 PM
KtotheF

Bikes: Scott CR1, 1986 Guerciotti SLX, Mystery Ti Bike, 1990 Diamondback EX fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paul thumbie with campy?

In my excitement, I accidentally bought a paul thumbie on ebay for campy, instead of shimano. I have several sets of shimano shifters to pick from, but no campy ones!

Has anyone used one of these with a campy shifter? Can you use downtube shifters, or do I have to find a barend lever?
Old 12-16-09, 08:56 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2954 Post(s)
Liked 2,987 Times in 1,522 Posts
what exactly is a thumbie?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-16-09, 08:59 PM
KtotheF

Bikes: Scott CR1, 1986 Guerciotti SLX, Mystery Ti Bike, 1990 Diamondback EX fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this: https://paulcomp.com/mtthumbie.html

pretty neat little thing.
Old 12-16-09, 09:31 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2954 Post(s)
Liked 2,987 Times in 1,522 Posts
OH OK now I get it. but I think, as you know, the answer to your question is no. since they make different mounts for different shifters....... the backing plate, what holds the insides of the shifter inplace, is different for the Campi and the shimano

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-16-09, 10:31 PM
KtotheF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
OH OK now I get it. but I think, as you know, the answer to your question is no. since they make different mounts for different shifters....... the backing plate, what holds the insides of the shifter inplace, is different for the Campi and the shimano
I guess what I'm asking is, can campy dt shifters be used on them? I know for the shimano ones you can use downtube or barend shifters, but I've never owned a pair of campy bar-ends, or dt shifters for that matter.
Old 12-16-09, 10:32 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The campy shifters are the same, whether downtube or bar end. Just the handlebar plug is different.

I read Paul's copy, but cannot understand, if you are using the earlier shifters, why they wouldn't fit on the thumbie just as both shimano and campy fit on the down-tube shifter boss on the bike. You should scare up one and see if it will work.

<edit> oh, the late night dyslexia...You already have shimano dt shifters. Try to fit 'em!

Last edited by luker; 12-16-09 at 10:35 PM. Reason: duh
Old 12-16-09, 11:52 PM
KtotheF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
update: I just realized that even if I had bought the shimano ones, I wouldn't be able to use my shimano dt shifters: the cable comes out of the bar-end lever slightly differently than the dt lever.

So... even though you can put a downtube shift lever on a bar end pod, you can't put it on a paul thumb shifter, argh!

Well, time to track down a campy bar-end shifter. Anyone have one lying around their spare parts drawer?

Sorry for the rant.