Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-20, 11:40 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
On a unrelated note, the black Turbo frame did not come with a seat binder bolt/nut. The Miyata and the Lotuses have hexagon bolts. Looking around, I found out that the metal nuts on a tube will work. If you need to McGuyver something, put 3 or 4 on there and go for it. I took the bolt and nut from the blue Turbo and headed for Lowes. The screw and bolt are M6 x 1.0. The bolt is 8mm in length. Lowes had the screws in similar sizes and In stainless steel. I found some coupling nuts that would work, but only in hexagon shape. They were 20mm and I would have to cut them to length. I got back home and checked the Zon. The Zon actually had stainless steel round coupling nuts in various lengths. One happened to be 8mm. I ordered a pack. All I have to do now is cut the notches for the tightening tool. Sweet!

It turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Now there's a source for a fairly common part that can't be found anymore. The 8mm length comes in a 25 pack. I have 20 something that I can send out to people that need them. I'm going to put up a thread on it.

Old 12-16-20, 11:45 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
On a unrelated note, the black Turbo frame did not come with a seat binder bolt/nut. The Miyata and the Lotuses have hexagon bolts. Looking around, I found out that the metal nuts on a tube will work. If you need to McGuyver something, put 3 or 4 on there and go for it. I took the bolt and nut from the blue Turbo and headed for Lowes. The screw and bolt are M6 x 1.0. The bolt is 8mm in length. Lowes had the screws in similar sizes and In stainless steel. I found some coupling nuts that would work, but only in hexagon shape. They were 20mm and I would have to cut them to length. I got back home and checked the Zon. The Zon actually had stainless steel round coupling nuts in various lengths. One happened to be 8mm. I ordered a pack. All I have to do now is cut the notches for the tightening tool. Sweet!

It turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Now there's a source for a fairly common part that can't be found anymore. The 8mm length comes in a 25 pack. I have 20 something that I can send out to people that need them. I'm going to put up a thread on it.

Sorry about that. I probably have it here, but where is a good guess.
Old 12-16-20, 12:04 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Sorry about that. I probably have it here, but where is a good guess.
Like I said, I ended up finding a source for a part thought to be extinct. Do you need any? I got a Christmas card heading your way and can throw some in. I'm still working on the copy of your letter to the Richmond Times Dispatch. They've been closed to the public since the Rona 19er hit.
Old 12-16-20, 12:40 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Exactly, training for what? Training for life, maybe?
Training for the day that I can get on a plane and come down there to ride with you and your buddy.
Gotta keep the razor stropped.
Old 12-16-20, 01:02 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by rccardr
Training for the day that I can get on a plane and come down there to ride with you and your buddy.
Well I've learned something today. It's a strop, not a strap. I've heard the generation above me talking about getting disciplined with one. Yikes.
Old 12-16-20, 01:36 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Old 12-16-20, 02:50 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Where I grew up it was expected. There was honor involved. At school, social activities, etc, if a disagreement broke out it had to get settled. Males, females, it didn't matter. If a fight broke out, it would be broken up .....until the band went on break. Then the two would have to go outside and get to it. They couldn't get out of it. The crowd would form a big circle to prevent the fighters from getting into something really dangerous. Then they would go until it was finished. Just like Philo Beddoe and Tank Murdock. At school, the fight would be broken up and the offenders would get sent to the principal and get paddled. But as soon as school ended, it was down to the first dirt road south of the school. It had thick sandy soil so a fall would not cause injury. Then they had to settle it. Some days there would be multiple "matches" on the docket. Sometimes multiple fighters on each side. As long as the sides were even, it was a go. Friday night fights and WWE all in one! It was some good entertainment and kept the violence down. A person kept their honor by towing the line even if they lost. And, they found out it wasn't any fun, even if they were the winner.

The female fights were always the best. Much more drama and flair. Lots of hair pulling.
I learned that even losing was winning, as the bigger guys had to live down the obvious damage from a much smaller guy. With a drinking age of 18, we had to learn the bar environment, as well. A cue ball may end up getting your knuckles skinned, but it does great damage to teeth, noses, and lips. I had to get a tetanus shot once because a tooth was embedded in my knuckle. That was a one-puncher, by mutual agreement. My hand was killing me, and he had the tooth issue. We’re friends now.

I’m short.
Punching up into an open mouth may hurt him, but you are gonna hurt your hand.
Count on it.
Elbows, man, elbows.
Good boots help.

My younger brother was better, and faster.
He went for eyes, ears, vitals, right from the get go.
Fight him and you were going to pay.
He’d have been a great cyclist, a real fighter.
He could outrun me and had to, more than once.

My other brother is the hockey puncher.
Grabbed a collar, hair, whatever, but he grabbed and hammered until he could not.
Like fighting a mule’s butt. He took whatever came until you were out, or he was.
Old 12-16-20, 05:57 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
2 hours on rollers Sunday. They are diabolical.
Since moved to open space.

How do you mount and get started in an open space? Just like you would a regular bike? Can you connect it to a training program and control the resistance? I could see it working at my house. The wife and I are close enough in height that we could use the same bike. Something in the middle with adjustable/QR stem and seatpost. Get me one of those Major Taylor sliding stems. Heck, the coolness factor alone would make me a better cyclist.

Edit: I reread your indoor thread. I might have to take a closer look.

Last edited by seypat; 12-16-20 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-17-20, 12:13 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

How do you mount and get started in an open space? Just like you would a regular bike? Can you connect it to a training program and control the resistance? I could see it working at my house. The wife and I are close enough in height that we could use the same bike. Something in the middle with adjustable/QR stem and seatpost. Get me one of those Major Taylor sliding stems. Heck, the coolness factor alone would make me a better cyclist.

Edit: I reread your indoor thread. I might have to take a closer look.
Mounting: I use a small step stool on the area side, clip in and get to it.

Not like a regular bike, since it doesn’t roll, but you get used to it with a bit of practice. Before I start, I have to get Zwift to pair the HR, cadence and speed sensors, so I’ve already got it in big/big so I can spin up right away.

There are a couple of resistance units available for it, but as add-ones, they require you to also have a power meter, which I do not and will not have. I doubt they are reliable, but most are relative to themselves; I.e. they are consistent with themselves but not other power meters. For example, an FTP session on Zwift is 20 points below the same session on CompuTrainer’s program. The most accurate power is read from the crankset, and almost all trainers read from either the rear axle or rear wheel (pressure) cylinder. They are all different, but most are pretty consistent in their own system.

Where rollers succeed beyond trainers is in technique. They will make you a better rider. They are not yet there on resistance matched to a course. The market is small, and advances may not be worth the investment to achieve them. If advances can cross over from the red hot smart trainer market, they will, in time. At present, you are on your bike, using your gears, with a rough measurement of your stats and a roughly simulated course. Incline/decline are not currently available. Resistance requires a power meter and an add-on to the rollers.

Where trainers succeed beyond rollers is data that’s useful. They will make you more fit and more aware of your fitness parameters, and you can specialize the training. The market is focused on the software side of smart trainers. You can literally go for a ride and record the video, map the route, send it off, and get back a pixeled course that you can ride indoors, matched to mapping, elevation, and with video based on the real video you shot. Ride it several times, send it off each time, and the software course gets closer and closer to the real thing. You are on a real bike, simulating a real route, but the choices of gearing are unknown.

Where spin bikes will succeed, possibly, is in software plus real-time tech. My TdF ProForm 5.0 has 2/3x10 Di2. It knows what gear you are in, once you program in your bike’s actual gearing. It can measure power, cadence, speed automatically. It has +/- 20% incline. It uses drop bars and your saddle and pedals. Once it can talk to Zwift, it can increase/decrease resistance and incline/decline per the route, and even coast, based on the terrain. It can analyze your power per gear selection. You are basically duplicating your bike’s gearing and fit on real simulated courses.

Advances are out there and coming. Inside Ride has a cradle for a smart trainer, which makes the bike act a lot more like a real ride. They also have a fork mount that swivels and rocks, for their rollers. It does take away some of the real bike feel, but you don’t fall off. Kickr Axis are feet that allow the trainer to tilt like a bike, but only for wheel-off (direct drive) trainers. Kickr also has an automatic incline/decline fork mount, in case you want that. Put the Kickr Trainer model on Axis feet, an Inside Ride cradle, get the incline/decline fork mount, put it on a swivel base, and you are as close as currently available to a realistic ride, on your bike, on simulated routes.

I can’t see rollers going to incline/decline, but you never know. That might require dual rollers up front. Resistance, currently matched to a power meter, will eventually come via the route software. That would probably eliminate any pressing need for incline. Your gearing is irrelevant unless some coach dictates it (they do).

Spin studios have too much invested to give up the market to in-home, so they’ve already expanded to those (Peloton, for example is both in-home and in studios). We’ll see where the money goes on the advances.

At present, nothing beats my rollers for what they improve for me. I want to be a better rider, and develop a better “stroke.” Any spin bike, studio bike, trainer, or roller can get your legs in shape, your lungs in shape, and you can tailor any session to get you more fit in a specific way. If you have good technique already, rollers aren’t necessary. Only rollers can improve your technique, IMO. I can outclimb my current group, for the most part. I can’t outrun them. That’s going to take better technique.

If I had technique like Doc, or nomadmax , ldmataya , or Chrome Molly , I could just work on climbing and maybe speed. But I don’t, so getting the most out of my power is more or less getting better at riding.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-17-20, 01:24 PM
seypat

Doc has the technique.

Isn't there(for the people with lots of coin) a treadmill made for you to ride a bike on? I thought I saw something on professional riders using one. Suddenly, this image popped into mind my of a set of rollers/trainer shaped like a hamster/pet wheel. It would take up too much space. I still like the idea I posted in your Indoor thread about the fake setup I was going to make with commercial rollers. That would be a really cool setup for the day I was going to film the video/pics to troll with.

I just thought of another stocking stuffer. It's pricey, but will fit into the stocking. Your pic made me think of it. Better go post it.

Notice I didn't mention it. I have to build up the suspense and drive people to your other thread.

Last edited by seypat; 12-17-20 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-17-20, 01:33 PM
seypat

Doc has the technique.

Isn't there(for the people with lots of coin) a treadmill made for you to ride a bike on? I thought I saw something on professional riders using one. Suddenly, this image popped into mind my of a set of rollers/trainer shaped like a hamster/pet wheel. It would take up too much space. I still like the idea I posted in your Indoor thread about the fake setup I was going to make with commercial rollers. That would be a really cool setup for the day I was going to film the video/pics to troll with.

I just thought of another stocking stuffer. It's pricey, but will fit into the stocking. Your pic made me think of it. Better go post it.

Notice I didn't mention it. I have to build up the suspense and drive people to your other thread.
Dang it. Now I'm thinking about the "Globe of Death" they used to have in the Circus. I don't think you could make that happen with bicycles. Maybe.

Old 12-17-20, 08:51 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Interesting side point: but
The TACX Training App has a workout option that basically sets up your trainer in ERG mode but provides a graphic readout of stroke by stroke output.
Which sounds kinda dirty, but actually helps the rider smooth their output left/right and up/down if I understand correctly.
Keep the line on the screen level and straight and output is smooth.
Hills and valleys? Not smooth.
It ain’t exciting but it helps if you listen to JJ Cale.
Loud.
Old 12-19-20, 03:42 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Sun race 13-28t freewheel:

it just fits! No need for any washers or dishing or anything else. Time to put my STI shifters on!
I just noticed I forgot to take that clear plastic spoke protector thingie (does it have a name?) off. Oh well.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 12-19-20, 03:57 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee

it just fits! No need for any washers or dishing or anything else. Time to put my STI shifters on!
I just noticed I forgot to take that clear plastic spoke protector thingie (does it have a name?) off. Oh well.
Sweet!
Old 12-19-20, 04:15 PM
texaspandj

That's great.
Just s reminder, and it may apply to you, I have a 13-28 7 speed Dura Ace freewheel on my MV and I had turn the B screw all the way and pull my wheel way back into the drop outs to make it shift properly.

Last edited by texaspandj; 12-19-20 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-19-20, 06:34 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

You don’t want to know.
We don’t discuss such things in the Ironman Empire.

Every day is a holiday. Every meal a feast.
Every woman lovely, and every dog a beast.

Ironman.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-19-20 at 06:38 PM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-19-20, 07:34 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts

I call it the cool kids disc. When conditions are just right and I'm flying down the road I can hear it playing the Queen of the Night aria from The Magic Flute.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-19-20, 08:02 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by canklecat
I call it the cool kids disc. When conditions are just right and I'm flying down the road I can hear it playing the Queen of the Night aria from The Magic Flute.
My '85 Ironman is the only bike I have with the spoke saver disc, it has all the components from a '94 trek 2200. So it's all campagnola even the hubs. However the rims are matrix (made by trek?) And the.. umhuh ...disc is Shimano. I accidentally left it on because it was so small and didn't notice it.

Last edited by texaspandj; 12-19-20 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-20-20, 07:00 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 280 Posts
Love it!

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 12-20-20, 09:13 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by texaspandj
My '85 Ironman is the only bike I have with the spoke saver disc, it has all the components from a '94 trek 2200. So it's all campagnola even the hubs. However the rims are matrix (made by trek?) And the.. umhuh ...disc is Shimano. I accidentally left it on because it was so small and didn't notice it.
There's a bike that popped up on the Ebay thread with Gripshifts. Someone is trying to acquire it. As i remember you are an authority on Gripshifts. You might take a look as see if you can help in some way.
Old 12-20-20, 09:35 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
You guys need to search Seattle CL for 60cm Ironmans. Pink & Yellow complete bike and claimed 60cm. (and now I see one in Portland, as well). Purple & White frame+fork+bits, also 60cm.

Get 'em for theWinter/Holiday Project,
Old 12-20-20, 04:05 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mine plays Enter Sandman.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-20-20, 04:35 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
There's a bike that popped up on the Ebay thread with Gripshifts. Someone is trying to acquire it. As i remember you are an authority on Gripshifts. You might take a look as see if you can help in some way.
That would be me, already have it on the stand but I know nothing about how to tune these up if needed. Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 12-20-20 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-20-20, 07:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
That would be me, already have it on the stand but no nothing about how to tune these up if needed. Any help would be appreciated

Are those the type of grip shifters that are intended to be mounted on the ends of aero bars? I've never seen any that were transparent or translucent like that.
Old 12-20-20, 07:38 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Are those the type of grip shifters that are intended to be mounted on the ends of aero bars? I've never seen any that were transparent or translucent like that.
Because they are for aliens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.